October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: October 2019 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby Artista » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:05 am

Thanks for those tips, Amy! I've cut way back on salt and it seems to be helping. I was surprised when I first heard that salt is an appetite stimulant but I find that I'm not motivated to eat as much when I don't add salt. And I'm getting used to the taste of unsalted food so that it no longer tastes like something is missing. I remember hearing High Carb Hannah say that eliminating salt helped her to lose the last of her weight. Another thing she said that has stuck with me is that whatever you do to lose your weight is what you do to maintain your weight loss. Those weren't her exact words but something like that. It helps me to remember that this is a forever thing, there's no vegan chocolate cake payoff at the end of the road. Fortunately, I love this WOE so eating this way forever isn't bad news.

I'm down .4 lbs. this week. 135.8. I haven't seen 135 on the scale in a very long time! :)
Artista

Postby Shortnsweet » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:02 am

#sigh. 0 lbs lost. I've been at the exact same weight for 3-weeks in a row. Frustrated.
Shortnsweet

Postby laurag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 am

I am 150 so I think it's down 1 lb , going in right direction I am continuing challenge to next Friday and then see where I am at. I did a little variety and flavor onion cilantro and jalapeno and that combined with I only had canned veggies with salt , I rinsed off but still! I think it derailed me yesterday along with too much wine , I know so bad but it's something I am struggling with I didn't eat potatoes chips or bread while I was drinking so that is a big deal for me. I did not have diet coke and won't for this week also big deal for me. I feel sheepish about the drinking but honestly I would rather be honest about it. This has been something of an issue I am working on, I know I am supposed to quit for the McDougall program to be effective.
laurag

Postby sirdle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:31 pm

amandamechele wrote:Sirdle - I had to google your holidays so I understood what you were referring to. I guess it should be no surprise that they line up pretty well with the ones I mentioned in my month opening post (and all of the ones I didn’t). Everyone has many more celebrations this time of year and it will be nice to get through them together without succumbing to poor food choices. When I lost the bulk of my first tranche of weight, it was also during a lower stress time in my life, when I had much more time to focus on good health. Are you doing all of those things that you mention this year? That is a lot of stress, but also quite exciting. (I can’t believe you are one of THOSE people who like Christmas music in the summer, I may have to reassess my opinions of you...LOL... my opinion of your wife just went way up, anyone with a book-free night stand is suspect in my mind. Ha) Nice loss this week. May I ask, you say you’ve increased veggies and decreased fruit consumption this week; how many fruit were you and are you now eating per day?

Being the contrarian that I am, I tend to like the "cross-quarter" days (those holidays half-way between the Solstices and the Equinoxes -- Imbolc [groundhog day], Beltane [May Day], Lughnasadh [beginning of harvest], Samhain [ending of harvest, All Soul's Day, All Saint's Day, Day of the Dead, Halloween]). :)

Nope. Not buying a house, working long hours, or looking for a job (although anything goes in today's job market). My life has been pretty low stress for the past 9 months... which is why I think I've made so much progress. ;-)

I'm a volume eater. I took a quick look... and I think I'm eating about:

starches, 2-4 servings
grains, 2-4 servings
veggies, 8-10 servings
fruits, 7-9 servings
nuts/seeds, 1 serving
legumes, 1-2 servings

The fruit has gone down from 9-11 servings and the veggies have gone up from 4-5 servings. When I write it out like that, it's hard to believe I eat that much food. So, I'm probably overstating what I'm eating. Maybe those are really the max servings? I'm not sure.

Bottom line: I still eat too much fruit. I need to work on that.

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby amandamechele » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi All!

Thank you to everyone who checked-in this week! To those who had some great losses, congratulations, keep up those excellent efforts. To those who are still figuring their way to the best practices for themselves, keep on practicing! XO

In keeping with the theme of simple eating as a strategy for success, let’s hear from the king of simple eating himself, Jeff Novick. He has been beating this drum for a very long time. For me, sometimes, when the trumpets are playing too loud it can be easy to lose the beat.

Simplicity: The Key to Health!
Chef Jeff's Weekly Health Tips
December 7, 1998

"Variety" may be the "spice of life" but "simplicity" is truly the "key to health"

Over the last 16 years of following the principles of "healthful living", I often hear the following comment...

"Jeff, this is SIMPLE for you to do and follow because you have been doing it for so LONG".

To which I respond...

"You have it backwards, the reason I have been able to do this for so LONG is because I have always kept it so SIMPLE."

Well, turns out that maybe I am correct as my personal philosophy and thoughts were just recently supported by an interesting study that was done. These results may also be able to help many of you by pointing out the "key" component to following a program of healthful living successfully.

This study was designed to test the theory that very simple, uncomplicated diets would result in higher levels of compliance/adherence and weight loss in an outpatient setting then diets with more variety and complexity. The study was a realistic test of what can be achieved by dietary treatment alone for obese patients because the patients were typical of the general population who are trying to lose weight. They traveled to the clinic at their own expense, neither paid nor received money, and bought the food they ate at normal retail outlets. No drug or surgical treatment was offered and no exercise or behavioral therapy programs were provided.

The patients were randomized to one of three diets, each of which was designed to produce an initial energy deficit sufficient to produce weight loss. The three diets were of increasing variety and consisted of......

1) a very simple diet (VSD) which included just one food;

2) the same very simple diet (VSD+V) with added variety of fruits and vegetables; and

3) a typical conventional diet (TCD).

The patients completing the trial in the simple diet group achieved the highest overall mean weight loss (~25 lbs in 16 weeks). Compliance/adherence was similar for the two simple diets but much lower for the typical conventional diet. It was easier for the subjects to stick to the simple diets.

The authors expected that patients on the simple diet with added variety would have a greater weight loss than those on the the simplest diet as it was still simple but much less boring and patients were more likely to comply with it. However, the greatest weight loss was in the patients on the simplest diet alone.

While neither the authors of the study nor I am recommending anyone to live on a diet of just one food, the study does make a very interesting and key point. And that is, that the simpler the diet, the greater the compliance and the greater the results. The two simplest diets produced the greatest compliance and the greatest results. The typical complex diet had the lowest compliance and produced the least amount of weight loss.

The more we try to complicate our diets and/or lifestyle, the harder they become to follow. The key to any diet or lifestyle program is simplicity. Very few of us have the time and/or energy to spend extra hours in the kitchen or in the food stores. Nor do we have the time to learn 100's of new recipes and food products.

So, don't try to complicate your program of healthful living.

Find out what works for you and stick to it. Create simple meals based around vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes.

For Breakfast..
Whole grain cereal
Fresh Fruit

For Lunch &/or Dinner
Salad
Steamed Vegetables
Soup
Complex Carbohydrate (Rice, Potato, Yam, Legumes, etc)
Legumes (beans)

Snacks
Fruits
Vegetables
Soups
Potatoes

Keep your overall program and menu simple. Look for variety within each of the food groups by using different varieties of vegetables, fruits, legumes and whole grains over the course of a day or a week.

As a mentor of mine once said, "this programs (healthful living) is not supposed to become your life, it is supposed to give you your life back".

So, Keep It Simple!!

Because simplicity REALLY is....

"The Key To Health"

Have another great week, and remember...

Your Health Is Your Greatest Wealth!

In Health,
Jeff

Better to eat many different foods or limited variety?

Best wishes for the coming week. To anyone celebrating this week: Happy Canadian Thanksgiving from this Canadian!! XO.

Amy

Here are the results for the second week in October:

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, October 18th, 2019

Total group loss reported in 2019: 406.92 pounds
October 2019 Weight Loss Group :: Monthly Weigh-In Results
Total group loss in January 2019: 140.53 pounds
Total group loss in February 2019: 78.64 pounds
Total group loss in March 2019: 7.4 pounds
Total group loss in April 2019: 33.55 pounds
Total group loss in May 2019: 38.2 pounds
Total group loss in June 2019: 13.4 pounds
Total group loss in July 2019: 37.3 pounds
Total group loss in August 2019: 23.8 pounds
Total group loss in September 2019: 19.3 pounds
Total group loss in October 2019: 14.8 pounds

Week ending 10/11/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 13.3 pounds
---------------------------------------
Deweyswakms - 0.6
---------------------------------------
Total gains: 0.6
--------------------------------------
AnnetteW - 1.4
Vegman - 1.1
Sirdle - 1.3
Stillcrazy - 0.1
Moonlight - 1.0
LSS1951 - 7.6
Artista - 0.4
ShortnSweet - 0.0
Laurag - 1.0
---------------------------------------------
Total losses: 13.9
---------------------------------------------

Total group loss in October 2019: 14.8 pounds
Week ending 10/11/2019: 10 participants reported a total loss of 13.3 pounds
Week ending 10/04/2019: 9 participants reported a total loss of 1.5 pounds
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Today’s Simplicity Challenge Meals:

:)
amandamechele

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:53 am

laurag wrote:I didn't eat potatoes chips or bread.

Chips are my kryptonite! I dare not have any of them. I am sure the salt puts on the water weight. Good work on changing these behaviors. I haven't had chips since committing to MWL in mid-July. I know what will happen if I do, and frankly I don't want to take 2 days to lose the instant weight gain.

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:55 am

amandamechele wrote:Today’s Simplicity Challenge Meals:
:)

Nice photos. I eat those quantities of foods and am so hungry an hour later. I need satiety and then I eat less. I am having a starch (brown rice) with almost every meal. Thoughts on the satiety factor? thanks, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby laurag » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:40 am

Thank u Marsha :) appreciate that very much! You are so right about the next two days trying to get the weight back down after chips, every time it does that
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 am

Saturday’s Simplicity Challenge Meals:

LSS1951 - Hi and welcome! Oh yeah, great start this time around. :) What led you away and what brought you back (I’d love to know if you feel like sharing).

Artista Solid loss and congrats on a new low, that s always super motivating. LOL... you are correct too many vegan chocolate cakes will get us back to where we started. HCH is so sweet, I love watching her stuff. I’m glad you’re having success with the lower salt. I am too!

ShortnSweet - XO. Keep working the program and the losses will start again. Doesn’t make these plateau weeks less frustrating feeling, but you will pull through, I just know it, you have grit. :)

Laura - Nice loss! You are doing just fine. Keep cutting out the things that you feel ready to, each and every week, until you get quite close to the guidelines, or you reach a level that you are comfortable and happy with your progress. Yay to not eating any chips or bread - like Marsha - those are very hard to say no to for me too if they are laying about the house.

Sirdle - Oh, ok, I misunderstood and thought you had upcoming stress that you were preparing for. Now I also understand why you’re working to lower your fruit consumption. (I’m going to link Dr. McDougall’s article on The Volume Eater - The Person with a Binge Eating Disorder for the benefit of others reading, so they know what you are referring to). We are all notoriously bad at accurately estimating the amount of food we eat in a day - it’s interesting that you are potentially overestimating vs underestimating. Best wishes getting yourself to where you want to be.

Marsha - Thanks. :) Having brown rice with every meal is a great idea and hopefully is keeping you satisfied. What are you eating with that rice? This week’s photos don’t truly reflect the amounts I have always eaten in the past. Dropping the salt and sugar and condiments has really lowered the amount of food I’m feeling the need to eat (much like many many people that have come and lost weight eating this way have recommended). Whatever the exact mechanism(s) I feel sated much earlier and totally without cravings compared to when I have even a little bit of those things in my diet. I feel like the compulsive aspect of my eating has been removed. Now, there’s just the impulsive aspect to keep track of - momentary decisions based on personality, social context and access in the environment. Sadly giving in to 1 or 2 bad impulses turn my compulsion to overeat back on quite quickly. I may also still be restricting a bit without consciously realizing it because I am so used to the pleasure trap feelings of discomfort and fighting those urges that in the evenings this past week, when I’ve felt a bit hungry, I have just grit my teeth a bit and ignored it because I assume it’s my cram circuit getting all pleasure trappy with me, when really I may have actually been hungry. It’ll work itself out, I’m sure, if I manage to make this a longer experiment.
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks for the "Simplicity" post, I needed that right now. It's so much fun to look at recipes and read cookbooks and try new things, and then I realize I don't really care for the items. The other day I made that "game changer cheese sauce" and though it didn't taste bad, it did nothing for me. I don't eat regular cheese sauce like that, so why would I eat this vegan form? I'm putting it in the trash, and have to remember this experience. Oh, and early on I tried making some vegan cheese (blah) and also things like a vegan mayo. I don't really need mayo for anything I make right now on this SS/MWL diet, so why make it in the first place. I did end up using some in a slaw, which was great, but then I still had a ton left, which ended up in the trash. I need to just stick with a vinegar based slaw. How much more simple is that.

I think I have a little renewed enthusiasm. My husband watched "Forks over Knives" finally with me last night, and though I don't think he got a thing out of it (plus he dosed off a bit) it helped motivate me to work on my eating more. I need to keep focusing on ME ME ME!!!!!
AnnetteW

Postby laurag » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 am

Morning people does anyone have a soup or salad they like that's easy? Good job everyone! Thank u Amy for kind words :) I'm thinking about going back to regular mwl I keep eating so much it hurts and I'm getting obsessed with food if I kept at it maybe it would edge off, I do feel liked that is possible I just had a particular bad day with craving something , usually isn't that bad I was eating my packed lunch as usual with my husband at McDonald's and I didn't eat anything else , but rest of day was wicked with not being satisfied. I have a feeling I should go over pleasure trap and cram circuit . I feel like I got something out of this so far and that is Mwl works I have a renewed energy to be good with that or maybe I just really want the sirracha and mustard back?! I think I will keep it going today and see how it goes ;-)
laurag

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Sunday’s Simplicity Challenge:

I’ve just been through 2 days of hosting family and friends for Thanksgiving. It has been fun, but definitely added difficulty to my intentions to do this challenge. However, I have made it thus far. While making each dish I made sure that I separated portions for myself before adding flavouring (of the types that we have all chosen to avoid) so that I enjoyed a similar plate as my guests but true to MWL guidelines and the additional simplicity I have promised this week. Salad, potatoes, sweet potato, corn, carrot/rutabaga, veggies and cut fruit. It wasn’t half bad. :) :)
I managed to give away the 7 pies that we somehow ended up with and the numerous bags of chips too. Nothing too tempting will be staying in the house overnight. Just in case.

Annette - I’m glad it came a good time. Your simple slaw sounds perfect. It’s nice that your husband watched it with you, something is bound to have rubbed off in some tiny way. But you are right, this has to be about you right now. He will admire your determination in reaching your goal. Hooray for renewed enthusiasm!

Laura - Here is a soup that sounds quite delicious: Pumpkin and black bean soup. It just feels like fall to me. This next one is my absolute favourite soup of all time, and also a recipe of Mary McDougall’s : Moroccan Red Lentil Soup. Salads aren’t really my thing, I tend to eat my lettuce plain out of laziness. Maybe some others here have a favourite or two? With regards to cravings and feeling unsatisfied, the situation you describe is a difficult one, and possibly a little bit unfair to you. The sights and smells at a McDonalds would be exceptionally difficult especially for someone who hasn’t been eating this way for a very very long time. I’m sorry that you had such a difficult day. Here is a link to many of Dr. Lisle’s lectures, including The Pleasure Trap and Cram Circuit. Hopefully some of them can renew your hope. As for mustard and sriracha, those are still really fine choices with regards to condiments. You do what you need to do to keep yourself eating this way as comfortably as you can.
Tomorrow is the last day I will post any simplicity challenge pictures. Thank you Laura, for the idea, it has helped me get through a very challenging weekend.
amandamechele

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:14 am

laurag wrote:Morning people does anyone have a soup or salad they like that's easy? Good job everyone! Thank u Amy for kind words :) I'm thinking about going back to regular mwl I keep eating so much it hurts and I'm getting obsessed with food if I kept at it maybe it would edge off, I do feel liked that is possible I just had a particular bad day with craving something , usually isn't that bad I was eating my packed lunch as usual with my husband at McDonald's and I didn't eat anything else , but rest of day was wicked with not being satisfied. I have a feeling I should go over pleasure trap and cram circuit . I feel like I got something out of this so far and that is Mwl works I have a renewed energy to be good with that or maybe I just really want the sirracha and mustard back?! I think I will keep it going today and see how it goes ;-)

If all it takes is your sriracha sauce and mustard, add them back. Why did you cut them out in the first place? You truly can't get too much sodium from them (I'm just assuming it's sodium), and there are sodium free mustard versions, probably hot sauces too.

I drive by a Burger King most days right around lunch time, just when I'm coming home from the gym, so I'm a bit hungry, and it does do a bit of a triggering thing to me. I don't even prefer BK (more a McD's gals...lol). So I would definitely think the smells just set you off, even if they don't really smell that good. There is something in that air, and memories too. Our brain remembers us eating that food, that high calorie, greasy, unhealthy, pleasure trap food. I'm sure Doug Lisle would say that's the case, he'd just say it much more eloquently.
AnnetteW

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 am

amandamechele wrote:Saturday’s Simplicity Challenge Meals:

Marsha - Thanks. :) Having brown rice with every meal is a great idea and hopefully is keeping you satisfied. What are you eating with that rice?

Good morning Amanda. I lost another pound, took several days but am motivated to keep going for Thursday's weigh in. I am eating brown rice and potatoes, with almost each meal. I just had the last of some beans with broccoli, brown rice and a few red potatoes for breakfast. Yummy. I am most hungry in the mornings, probably because I have veggies for dinner, so I eat maybe 2 meals in the morning hours. And I 100% agree with Jeff's 'simple eating' method. I rotate a few basic recipes plus rely on roasted veggies a lot. 1-2 fruits a day.

thanks, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program