September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Welcome to the September Weigh-In Thread for Dr McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss Program.

For the program details visit the MWL Guidelines thread in this forum. Please check out as many of the links as you have time for, there is so much here to discover!
A couple of other great resources, for those just starting out, are from Jeff Novick the staff dietician for the program: The Ultimate Guide to Free Calorie Density (MWL) Resources and his 1 hour video explanation on Calorie Density: How to Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer.

Hi Everyone!

September is my favourite month; I have school-age kids so maybe no further explanation is necessary.

Getting back to the familiar patterns that my family follows for 10-months of the year isn't just great for regulating bedtimes and electronic device-access, it's the perfect time to take a look at your meal schedule and give it a re-vamp.

Here are some links to a number of resources to help get some planning and recipe ideas (specifically some of the most popular recipes served at the McDougall live-in programs developed by Mary McDougall).

Meal Planning Made Easy by Mary McDougall - June 2017 Webinar

Mary McDougall: Planning Meals - Advanced Study Weekend Presentation

Maximum Weight Loss Recipes

Jeff Novick's Healthy Meals Made Easy - Make in less than 15 minutes

Jeff Novick's SNAP Meals - Simple Nutritious & Affordable Plan: Click on a picture for the recipe

McDougall 10-Day Program Meal Plan Recipes

McDougall Program 8-Day Recipes - There is overlap with the above link but also some delicious differences

McDougall Mobile Cookbook App

Feature Recipe Videos

Best wishes exploring new recipes this week, see you Friday for the weigh-in!

Amy :)

Here are the standard monthly instructions for participating in this thread:

Our weigh in's are on Fridays and you have until 12 PM PST on Saturday to report.

This weekly weigh in group is for those wanting to follow the Maximum Weight Loss (MWL) program or Mary's Mini's. There is a sticky at the top of this forum on the guidelines for the MWL program..

In order to tally the results please submit your results by posting the total pounds you have lost or gained that week. You don't have to share your total weight if you'd rather keep that to yourself. This is an honor system so we take the gain, loss or maintain you give us in order to tally. (Please make a new post each week)

If you are a new member and would like to join but don't have a weight to be counted for the week then you will be counted either as a body with a zero starting weight, or when you check in for the weekly weigh in the following week. Large amounts of weight lost over a period of months or weeks, prior to joining the weekly weigh in group, will not be counted towards the weekly total.

If you measure your weight in something other than pounds please convert the measurement to pounds.

All gains will be counted towards the total to encourage weekly participation. Posting is encouraged whether it's a gain, a loss, or a maintain.

You are welcome to share as little or as much as you want on your weight loss journey here in this thread. We encourage members of the group to talk to each other, cheer each other on and set goals together.

This thread is for the mutual support of all who wish to participate.
amandamechele

Re: September 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby moonlight » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks, Amy. I LOVE your picture!! Yay, September!! I just had to bring this quote over from the August thread. It's going to be what I refer back to when times get tough this week. :)

amandamechele wrote:
If you want to lose weight accept that you may flounder. Accept that you may fail at it more than once. Accept that some people may think less of you because it is not their issue and they may not be able to see the variety of different challenges you face.

But...do not stop trying due to that fear of failure...keep coming back. This thread is the place for your first, second and hundredth kick at this can!
moonlight

Postby squealcat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Of course, count me in for the month of September ! August didn't hurt too much so I will continue on !
squealcat

Postby Reni » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Please count me in. I've been off-track for some time and am now at my highest weight. :(
Reni

Postby amandamechele » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Moonlight - September is awesome, I'm also influenced by my Libra-ness here...LOL. I keep that thought that you re-posted close too...and when temptation strikes I think of the chorus of Tubthumping. :D

Marilyn - September will hurt even less! I'm so glad you're back for more. LOL

Reni - Hi and Welcome! It will be nice to have you join us while you get back on track. The first few days of change can be the most challenging as you clean out your fridge and pantry and prepare some recipes and potatoes and rice to have on hand. You've done this before and know what needs to be done. Don't worry if it's a bumpy start, just do your best. XO. How long had you been McDougalling?
amandamechele

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:47 am

I mentioned it in the August thread, but definitely count me in for September as well. MWL is my new lifeplan! :-P

Welcome to the group, Reni! Wishing you a great month of success and finding a groove.
Mark Cooper

Postby Artista » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Hi Everyone!
Please count me in for September. This is my first month joining the MWL weigh in thread. My starting weight as of yesterday is 143. I've been following a plant-based diet for about a year and a half and just recently started following the Starch Solution. I really like it so far. Thanks for letting me join your group! :)
Artista

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:11 am

I’m in for this month as well! MWL is working really well for me, and the food is yummy to
boot!

Amy - my name is Lindsey, feel free to spell it however. I’m not too picky.

Everyone - I usually type one-handed on my phone, so I’m sorry I can’t write the individual thumbs up you all deserve for your hard work and dedication. I want to extend a high-five to each and every one of you. Let’s kick ass and take names again this month.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Idgie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 am

Yay, let's do this thing!
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Reni » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks for the welcome! :D

To answer your question, Amy, I've been McDougalling off and on since I found out about Dr. McDougall's program back in 2008. I was really compliant when trying to lose weight from a my second pregnancy that we had with the help of fertility treatments, and ended up pregnant with our third child despite the less than one thousandth of a percent chance the fertility doctor gave me! You would think healing my infertility would make me a McDougaller for life! Unfortunately, I've been more off-plan than on since then. :shock:

On to now, I have my immediate family McDougalling, have almost all of the McDougall books/cookbooks, this board for support, and the McDougall Friends Facebook Group. I feel like I"m in a great place to rock this as a lifestyle and not a weight-loss fix!

I started at 208 on my 5'4" frame. I have a lot to lose. My goal is to follow MWL. :)
Reni

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi to all!

I'm in for September too!! :)

Amy, Love that picture!! Also, loved the links to recipe resources. Going to copy to links to my own journal. One of my areas for improvement is to eat 50 / 50 veggie / starch visual volume and I am trying some new recipes this month. Had already targeted a few SNAP meals, but also found a few Mary McD recipes that I'll try. Thank you!!! :-D

Welcome to Reni and Artista!!!

Glad to see familiar faces too!!!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. “ - Dr. Seuss

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Doraloo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 am

I've been whole food plant based, low fat since March. Did great until just recently when I started eating more of my vegan "comfort" foods, dried fruit, chips, nut milk ice cream, etc. I need to get serious again and get back on the weight loss train. I've lost 35 pounds since March but am starting to gain some back. Hopefully this will get me back on track and more accountable!
Doraloo

Postby Artista » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the welcome, Stephanie! :)
Artista

Postby Brendabc » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm ready to start on Friday the 7th.
Brendabc

Postby amandamechele » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi and welcome Arista, Doraloo and Brendabc! :D :-D :-) 8)
amandamechele

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program