June 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: June 2018 McDougall Weigh In Thread

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Tigermon wrote:I realize it is Monday, but I did weigh on Friday, June 1st. My weight was 162 lbs. My goal is to lose 20 pounds. I am new to this forum and hope that I continue to participate (I am not the best at online forums).

Welcome Tigermon!

Excellent...I see you're already off and running. :) Very best wishes for the week.

I hope that you continue to participate too! That is a commitment in and of itself that many people don't give enough thought to.

(This next little bit isn't directed at just you or your comment, more inspired by it, because myself and many many others grapple with this issue of consistent adherence, or as you referred to it continuity of participation)

We commit to eating the right foods, we commit to adding some activity....

...and when those commitments start to unravel, we back off, or as I used to call it ...just fade away for awhile (aka procrastinate).

I think commiting to showing up is truly as important to commiting to the diet. It's a foundational part of your (our) success, because some of us flounder about for quite some time as we slowly circle in on all of the very different individual changes we need to mentally agree to and then practice until we habituate to them. Even small obstacles can stall the process of behaviour change.

To make all of the necessary dietary changes in one fell swoop, and adhere to them IS the fastest way to get to a weight loss goal. But, if you are unable to do that at this time, then by continuing to participate (while still working through your own experiments), you are at least removing the extra time in between the experiments. If you commit to continuing to check-in then it begins to feel like a waste of time to not just get back to on track as soon as you catch yourself diverging.

Fall down, get up, fall down, get up. No more sitting in the dust!
XO
amandamechele

Postby amandamechele » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Wow, Jobet and AmandaMechele, the painted rocks are awesome!!! Love them!!!

AmandaMechele, I also most like the T.S. Eliot quote on my signature line... how far can one go?? :cool: I mostly comply w/ MWL (but for extra serving of fruit and occasional flour product or planned "feast"!) Thank you for the welcome and for the excellent links!!

Wishing all the best on achieving your goals for June!!

XO.

Best wishes to you as well.
amandamechele

Postby Svenja » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 am

Hello!

I am just writing a few lines to say 'hello' and to say that I won't be home for weigh in this week.
I am off to a training course (in two weeks again).

I lost some pounds the last weeks ... I just didn't feel like eating and didn't force it. So I usually had one meal (mostly oats and fruit) and maybe some fruit extra. ... not sure why this was, maybe because it was very hot the last weeks (hotter than in August).

Now I am back to more regular eating and I guess I gained some weight ...
Next to my usuall workouts I started running again ... just short and slow ... but I am very pleased that it comes fairly easy.

Wishing you all a great week!
Svenja
03.03.17 = 245 lbs
Svenja

Postby midnight87 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi guys, I'd like to join in :) I really need some accountability so I think this will help. I weighed myself last Friday so I should hopefully be able to report in this week. I'm keeping a journal too on here, if anyone wants to give feed back on there that would be appreciated. Particularly, I have issues with nut butter. If anyone got over a nut butter habit I'd like to hear what you did :)
midnight87

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:53 pm

midnight87 wrote:Hi guys, I'd like to join in :) I really need some accountability so I think this will help. I weighed myself last Friday so I should hopefully be able to report in this week. I'm keeping a journal too on here, if anyone wants to give feed back on there that would be appreciated. Particularly, I have issues with nut butter. If anyone got over a nut butter habit I'd like to hear what you did :)

Hi Midnight87,

Wonderful and welcome! It'll be great to have you join into the discussions.

Nut butters are tasty, but I personally find it hard to control eating them, so my strategy has been to just give them up completely.

The MWL guidelines also advise to avoid them . (I know, I know, easier said than done).

Do you keep nut butters in your house for other family members? Is that why they give you trouble?

Amy

PS. Here is a very informative thread from Jeff Novick that discusses Compliance of a Healthy Diet. It is much more general than the issue that you are asking about, but it provides many great suggestions and the evidence that supports them. You many find something within it to help you decide how to deal with the nut butter problem. :)
amandamechele

Postby midnight87 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks amandamechele, I feel silly admitting this, but no they're not for other family members, I actually live by myself :oops: Can't really blame anyone but myself. I keep thinking I can handle it, but then I end up overdoing it. I suppose they have to go *sigh*. It is what it is I guess lol.
midnight87

Postby amandamechele » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

midnight87 wrote:Thanks amandamechele, I feel silly admitting this, but no they're not for other family members, I actually live by myself :oops: Can't really blame anyone but myself. I keep thinking I can handle it, but then I end up overdoing it. I suppose they have to go *sigh*. It is what it is I guess lol.

Please don’t feel silly, we all have those items. I had a prune thing going on for awhile. Who struggles with prunes...LOL?! I had to get them out of the house too...and not walk by them at the grocer too. Ha!

You may re-visit the issue a few times even after having successful periods of avoidance. Some of us can be quite prone to the I can handle it now syndrome. Eventually if you keep doing your best and still fail at the moderation thing for a particular food, you will become convinced about what needs to be done.

Have you read and seen Dr Doug Lisle’s lecture The Pleasure Trap?
amandamechele

Postby moonlight » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 am

Hi everyone, I hope you all have had a good week. I think just showing up here makes it a good week, regardless of what we report.

I am down 1 lb. (180 lbs.). I'm leaving for a 5 day visit with my family. Lots of restaurant eating. I'm challenging myself to stay 100% MWL compliant. :shock: I know this is maybe an unrealistic goal but just to have some fun I'm going to try. I won't beat myself up if I don't achieve it. I also plan to walk everyday for exercise.

Amy, I love what you admitted to here:
amandamechele wrote:Please don’t feel silly, we all have those items. I had a prune thing going on for awhile. Who struggles with prunes...LOL?! I had to get them out of the house too...and not walk by them at the grocer too. Ha!

It's amazing to me what I can get fixated on for a while. Foods I've never been interested in before! This seems to happen less often now. I also have started thinking that I won't even take a bite of something for fear of triggering a binge/love affair episode with a particular food. I had a thing for olives for a while. It finally passed. Now I try not to look at olives for very long. :\

I hope everyone has a week they can build good habits on :D
moonlight

Postby Rosey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:10 am

from 291.4 to 291.2 so .2 not much but after the last few that is expected.
Rosey

Postby Chumly » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am

I guess I'll get started. My weight this morning is 252.0 lbs! I would like to get below 200. I am planning to follow the MWL program through the week and the regular program on the weekend.

Michael
Chumly

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:39 pm

This last week could have been a challenge with my son and his family here for a visit and eating "out" three times but it was a successful week for me !

I weighed in at 184 pounds and lost 2 pounds this week !! YAY !!

Hope everyone had a good week as well. Looking forward to the next !
squealcat

Postby midnight87 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm down 1.1 lbs this week :) I'll be curious to see how much I lose without the nut butter next week :-D
midnight87

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi to the Group!!

A big hooray on to all on weight loss, maintenance, and / or continued dedication to the plan regardless of the scale!!!

I'm down 1.0 lbs. this week.

@Midnight, I can relate to the peanut butter thing!! I LOVE it and haven't eaten at all this year since I've been on this journey. Once you eliminate it, you may not crave it anymore... (fingers crossed!!) It's harder at first, but your tastes may change (mine did... but it does still sound good!!)

@Amandamechele, thanks for all of these links and for cheering us on!!! Still need to watch the McDougall link you posted...

@Moonlight, Wishing you the best in meeting your goals with the trip...

".... you'll move mountains! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way!" - Dr. Seuss

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby amandamechele » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Svenja - I missed your updated post, but now I've seen it. I'll put you down for a 0 since you can't make it to the scale...you did check in! The heat sounds hot...hahaha... I'm wishing for a bit of it right now from my rainy little spot in the world. You are running too! That's awesome, enjoy yourself this week on your training course.

Moonlight Great loss and fabulous self-challenge. I look forward to hearing how you do. You may have seen these already, but just in case that you haven't, Dr. McDougall and Mary McDougall have a couple of talks on navigating eating out: Dining Out When You Must and the webinar The Challenges of Eating Out. You've got the right attitude about this. :) Aren't we a pair...LOL... olives and prunes....

Rosey - Yep, this is normal. Keep up the great work! Best wishes this week.

Michael - Wonderful to see you here. I hope you find the extra accountability helpful to reaching your very achievable goal. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. :)

squealcat - Double yay! And a little happy dance too. I love your enthusiasm, best wishes for the coming week.

Midnight87 - Yes, good loss this week. I'm curious to see how it goes too.

Stephanie - Congratulations on your loss. I love your enthusiasm too, and another great quote. I give that book to my kids when they graduate between primary to secondary school, it's a gem. (2 down, 2 to go - kids, that is).
amandamechele

Postby Jobet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:06 am

I lost 1 pound this week. Yay!

We haven't had as much wind, rain or thunderstorms so I could walk almost every day. I think that helped a lot, I know it helped my mental well-being.

Lord Love a Duck! Add me to that group: I can't have prunes, olives, or nut butters in my house or I'd pig out. :cry:

Hope everyone has a wonderful new week ahead. ♥
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program