JANUARY 2015 McDougall Weigh In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: JANUARY 2015 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby prajburney » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:19 pm

I am new to this forum. I am very interested in being accountable. I have been WFPB since June and feeling a bit frustrated by the lack of weight loss. Any feedback would be great.
prajburney

Postby Debbie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:49 pm

prajburney wrote:I am new to this forum. I am very interested in being accountable. I have been WFPB since June and feeling a bit frustrated by the lack of weight loss. Any feedback would be great.

Welcome! Perhaps you can give us an example of what foods, including ingredients, that you are eating. Sometimes the devil is in the details and it could be something apparently small, but over time its quite a bit more than we think. That "handful" here or there could be too much.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Tina Girton » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Whoa! Good job all of those who have lost already! I'm just starting today. Weighing in at 184.5 :shock: Oh well, I had lots of parties this Holiday Season! Ready to get down to business! Thanks Debbie for organizing this!
Tina Girton

Postby [email protected] » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I am hoping my ticker tape will post.
[email protected]

Postby dlee » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Catch you next week no gain or loss this week Dlee.
dlee

Postby Ichoosehealth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi!

I am new to the forum. I look forward to group support.
Ichoosehealth

Postby ProudMama » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 pm

I started last friday (not yet January, but a full week never the less). down 6 for this my first week back - - been waaaaay off plan for several months, happy to have a good week (mostly water weight, I'm sure. But I'll take it!).
All the best,
Susan

ProudMama

Postby alheid » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm

I am new to this, but love how I feel eating this way. I am down 2.2 lbs.since 1/1/15. My fridge is bursting with fresh produce, pantry is stocked with whole grains, beans, and spices. The only thing I really miss is popping my popcorn in oil - any ideas - airpopped just doesn't cut it imo.
alheid

Postby Kast » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Ok, I'm going to try this again. Starting in December was not such a good idea for me. So here goes. Looking forward to the new year, a new start and feeling good. :)
kast
Kast

food diaries? JANUARY 2015 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby candyK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Could some of you more practiced MWL folks post your food diaries here? I'm a bit lost figuring out what to eat--I need to pack a lunch each day. I just want some models to imitate for a few days! Thx.
candyK

Postby lmggallagher » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:02 pm

After loosing pretty well in December - January is off to a bad start. I had a dinner off MWL and then lunch off the next day (oil and bread in both meals). Today I am headed to the grocery store and will come home to open my Instant Pot Christmas present. I'll get lots of salad makings for my usual lunch of my Kitchen Sink Salad and I also went to Susan Voisin's Fat Free Vegan blog (she has quite a few pressure cooker options there) to find a MWL compliant recipe for the Instant Pot's maiden voyage - so I'll buy the ingredients for that too. This should get me back on track.

Best wishes to us all for a stellar week of loosing - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby mtarr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 pm

I had meant to post my weight yesterday but was in a hurry to get the family out the door to Disneyland! Surprisingly I was able to do very well with a combo of home-brought snacks and vegan options there including a grilled mushroom sandwich minus the cheese that was awesome!

Anyway my starting weight for 2015 (as of yesterday morning) is 145.4. I'm 5' 7".

Briefly, my story is that I was an ethical vegetarian (meaning I did it for the animals, not my health) from age 14 to 21. Gained weight through eating lots of dairy and being in "food is love" relationships. When I met my husband, I was doing martial arts 6 days a week but still 227 pounds because I was somehow unaware that Celeste Pizza for One was really enough calories/fat for ten, and that a caramel machiato and a scone from sbux had enough fat for a week. But I was having them nearly daily. And smoking!

So with his unconditional love and the example of two family members who had lost 20+ pounds on Weight Watchers, I was able to make a change. But, unfortunately, I became quite obsessive, counting half points, being cold all the time, and eating things I didn't really like because they were 0 points. In ten months I lost 77 pounds, but I gained a compulsive eating disorder. A black hole that is sometimes impossible to fill.

I have since embraced the whole foods, plant based, low fat lifestyle. It has really helped. At 39 years old, I'm at my lowest weight ever as an adult (I was a chubby athletic teen at 175 lbs). But I still eat compulsively. I eat when I'm not physically hungry. I interpret stress/fear as hunger and eat to soothe. If what I eat, or the circumstances (i.e. interruption from my kids, bad service, etc) are displeasing, I go and eat something else to try to reach some sort of nirvana that doesn't exist. Lucky for me I tend to eat "good" foods but the principle is I'm eating when my body doesn't need the food.

I have read several of Dr. McDougall's books, and I believe a combination of his techniques, together with a spiritual approach of surrender, and the adoption of a few basic rules (such as waiting until my stomach growls to call it hunger) will help me find out what my body looks/feels like when it is being properly cared for.

I guess that wasn't brief at all. But I feel like I need to put it out there, for my own sake, and hopefully, for others. Thank you for this forum!
mtarr

Re: food diaries? JANUARY 2015 McDougall Weigh In Group

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:26 pm

candyK wrote:Could some of you more practiced MWL folks post your food diaries here? I'm a bit lost figuring out what to eat--I need to pack a lunch each day. I just want some models to imitate for a few days! Thx.

CandyK, I'm not doing the weigh-in this month, but if you'd like to look at my journal to see a whole bunch of meal plans, you cna look here: viewtopic.php?t=17651

Let me know if you want something more specific!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Tina Girton » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:07 pm

I did pretty good today! I had my normal morning smoothie (Silk Cashew Milk, banana, 2 packed cups raw spinach, 1 t Maca, 4 T hemp powder, cinnamon, and ice) then went to Longhorn Steakhouse for lunch. Had a baked potato with water (I hope, that's what I asked for anyway) sautéed mushrooms and onions and a salad with oil free raspberry vinaigrette dressing. I did have a couple bites of bread which wasn't even worth it.

I ate a couple of buckeyes (chocolate covered peanut butter/sugar balls) a friend made me for Christmas that I received today. I told my husband to take them to his man-cave.

I'll eliminate the sugar and breads from now on.

Exercise has to be on hold for now as I had knee surgery a few weeks ago.

Hope everyone has a great week! :cool:

Tina G
Tina Girton

Postby fitforwedding » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Hello! I'm new here. I've been eating a whole food, plant-based diet (no oil) for almost a year now. I've recently been eating more processed foods like Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread and sugary sauces at restaurants and haven't been as strict regarding the oil when eating out. I've recently been gaining weight over the holidays. I also have not lost any pounds since going plant-based though I have lost inches. I think it may be from muscle gain and from my eating too many calories. I am getting married in just three months (!) :lol: and want to slim down to look prettier at the wedding and for my husband-to-be. I am going to be more mindful of my intake of fruits, nuts, and processed carbs such as bread. I am also going to try to eat veggies before and/or along with eating my starches. I'm hoping having accountability will help! Best wishes to all of us on our journey. :)

1/4/15 weight change: 0 (starting)
fitforwedding

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program