The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2024 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - April 2024 Group

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:04 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Sometimes – roughly 40%.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes – reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages.
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. Still being mindful.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Loving the changeover to outdoors for walking and pickleball playing!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

It has been an awesome week! The beautiful spring weather works magic on mood!!!

I did not bring my own food into the restaurant as I said I would last week. I was hungry beforehand, so I ate my meal right before going (to play pickleball) and had a few raw veggies at the outing. Bringing my own food to a restaurant is an approach that I do want to build competence in – so will look forward to the next opportunity to give it a go.

Thank you, Mark for all that you do for this group!!!

Hope that everyone has a fantastic week practicing healthy habits!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pm

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Still using 2-3 Tbsps of soy milk every day.

6) Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I missed one day of exercise.

It was an okay week. It’s been very busy with trying to clean out my mom’s home and get it ready to sell. We’re working with a buyer so hopefully things will be wrapped up soon. I’m looking forward to having more time to paint and maybe even join a gym again. Today I've been preoccupied with preparing my taxes and almost missed the deadline to post my assessment for this week.
Wishing everyone a stellar week! :)
Artista

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:32 pm

Happy Saturday, to all! I hope everyone had a great week.

*Guidelines:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant

- Decision to adhere: I made sure to have plenty of fruit on-hand which made all the difference.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant

- Decision to adhere: Meal prep saved the day....multiple days. Lol!

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant

6. Eliminate any added oil. Compliant

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant

- Decision to Adhere: Last night, my family wanted treats from the Starbucks Cafe at Barnes & Noble. I was able to talk myself out of buying my fav drink. Everyone got something EXCEPT ME! I couldn't believe it. It was definitely a struggle but I did it...which means I can do it again!!

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Not Compliant

- Non-compliant/reason: I've been sick this week. UGH! I did not have the energy to exercise with a lingering headache.

- Decision to Adhere: My fever is down. I'm not 100% but I feel better. I found a walking plan I like that I plan to start this weekend.

*Weight Change: 2lb loss*

*SUMMARY/THOUGHTS*
Overall, I feel great about my week. At first, I was discouraged because I checked in last Saturday morning online, then felt sick Saturday night. I knew it would be a tough week...and it was. But I made the decision to be a part of the Group and intentionally tried to commit to the Guidelines.

The biggest victory this week was overcoming cravings. It was pretty amazing! I was a couple days into the week and ALL my intense cravings were gone. POOF! This is huge for me because my family & I moved across the country in Feb and that transition brought about a LOT of emotional eating, with no limits. I returned to many unhealthy habits and felt enslaved by them. It was actually my husband who encouraged me (last week) to jump back into MWL this month, with the goal to hone in on my eating behavior. I can still fit all my clothes, there's no significant change in my weight that's noticeable BUT I was trapped in hiding food, overeating and feeding my cravings. My husband & I had a great talk last week where I came clean and explained how shameful I felt about my decisions. Thus...I am here!

I am always blown away by the clarity that comes from following the Guidelines. I've said this before and it still rings true...I find more freedom in reducing my food choices than the burden of choosing from SO many vegan take-out options. This week, I was not obsessed with food! Wow!!

Thank you, Mark, and all of you for your support!
CUgorji22

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:11 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for April 12, 2024

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:26 pm

BambiS - Nice progress! For the "main course" of your meals, I would encourage you to be mindful about including an adequate volume of minimally processed starches, ideally an equal visual volume to the non starchy vegetables. Within the context of the practical experiences of Dr. McDougall and Jeff, dipping below 50% starches (by visual volume) can sometimes lead to insufficient satiety and bingeing behaviors; hence, the 50/50 recommendation. I think the degree to which the MWL recommendations have been fine-tuned, tested and updated over years of application is a real hallmark of their ongoing value in the present. I'm glad things have been going well for you! Keep doing your best!

Rebecka22 - Solid planning for the win! :D
Rebecka22 wrote:Trying to take the time to recognize and be grateful for all the beautiful fruits and vegetables I am blessed to eat.
I know that might not always feel easy to do in the moment, but it seems like a very beneficial practice to me. Keep at it!

VegSeekingFit - Hurray for your awesome week! It's amazing what a difference pleasant weather can make, right? Eating the recommended foods in the recommended fashion whenever one feels hungry is the paramount recommendation, so I would say you did things exactly right! I can imagine you will have plenty of opportunities to build further competencies in the future, Stephanie. :-D Carry on!

Artista - Kudos, Nancy! We are in the process of buying a house right now, so I feel like I can imagine how much work you've been doing. :eek: Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution in the sale and with your taxes! :-D Cheers for remembering to make your self-assessment report and have a stellar week, too!

CUgorji22 - I'm so sorry you've been ill, Chesca; that is never a fun time. I think your great feelings about this week are well-earned! You acted with intentionality and were decisive in your efforts toward the recommended behaviors; well done! Overcoming cravings is an AWESOME victory! I very much identify with the experience you describe of feeling trapped in a cycle of food behaviors that feel out of control and spur feelings of regret and shame. That is not a pleasant way to be feeling, right? The feeling of freedom that comes with deciding to behave in a way that is congruent with one's important goals, to me, is one of the most rewarding experiences in my life. I really appreciate you sharing those "decisions to adhere"; I think they offer really valuable insight into your process and practice AND useful ideas for other participants. Onward!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:45 pm

Many thanks to all our participants for another great week of practice and discussion!

Continuing our tour through the checklist,

JeffN wrote:6. Eliminate any added oil.

Dr. McDougall actually addresses this in a short video that was recently posted to the YouTube channel for The Dr. McDougall Health & Medical Center. You can watch it here. He also covers the topic in his article, When Friends Ask: Why Do You Avoid Adding Vegetable Oils? And, here is the Nutrition Education page for Vegetable & Fish Oils.

Jeff has addressed the question of oil many, many times, too. I've included a few of my favorites below.

The Myth of Moderation, Pt 2:The Impact of "Just A Little Oil."

The Mythological Mediterranean Diet

What Mediterranean Diet?

In this thread, Jeff makes an incredibly thorough response to the question of "Why NO OIL?"

I hope these resources offer value and insight for your ongoing practice.

Wishing you all an outstanding week ahead! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby carolw » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:36 am

Hi Mark and Jeff,
I am back after a hiatus of a couple of years. Actually I have tried returning a few times but the tech challenges seemed daunting but i figured it out just now!
I am formerly carwex, now carolw. from Sydney. I have had a lot of success in the last 15 years with the McDougall WFPB program and with this forum. Since moving permanently to Sydney from Israel, I have been more involved with my children and grandchildren who live here. It's lovely to all be together again after so many years of living on 3 different continents. But as the matriarch and an excellent cook I have been maintaining my position by hosting meals, parties and holidays. The thinking is: "Everyone's busy. if I don't cook they may not visit".
My weight has remained stable but there is more non-compliant foods in my kitchen and therefore in my mouth "in moderation". I would like to return and clean up my act with this wonderful group. I am dedicated to this way of eating. I am 82 years old this week and I still do not take any medications for any metabolic condition. I don't even bother to have blood tests any more. And I get plenty of exercise cause I feel so good. I see my older friends and family succumbing to a range of conditions and diseases that could be reversed through food. I can't seem to convince anyone. I can only be a model of healthy eating. So in a week I will back to report in.
Thanks for being here to provide this important service to humanity!
Carol
carolw

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:33 am

carolw wrote:Hi Mark and Jeff,
I am back after a hiatus of a couple of years. Actually I have tried returning a few times but the tech challenges seemed daunting but i figured it out just now!
I am formerly carwex, now carolw. from Sydney. I have had a lot of success in the last 15 years with the McDougall WFPB program and with this forum. Since moving permanently to Sydney from Israel, I have been more involved with my children and grandchildren who live here. It's lovely to all be together again after so many years of living on 3 different continents. But as the matriarch and an excellent cook I have been maintaining my position by hosting meals, parties and holidays. The thinking is: "Everyone's busy. if I don't cook they may not visit".
My weight has remained stable but there is more non-compliant foods in my kitchen and therefore in my mouth "in moderation". I would like to return and clean up my act with this wonderful group. I am dedicated to this way of eating. I am 82 years old this week and I still do not take any medications for any metabolic condition. I don't even bother to have blood tests any more. And I get plenty of exercise cause I feel so good. I see my older friends and family succumbing to a range of conditions and diseases that could be reversed through food. I can't seem to convince anyone. I can only be a model of healthy eating. So in a week I will back to report in.
Thanks for being here to provide this important service to humanity!
Carol
Hi, Carol! I remember you well! I'm delighted to know that you're settled in a locale where you can enjoy abundant time with your loved ones. :D Happy birthday, congratulations on all that you've achieved, and welcome back to the group; I'm so happy you will be participating!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Most days

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful
Another good week, enjoying walking outside since the weather is warmer.

I wanted to add, I am definitely getting the starch. I don’t think I was eating enough lower calorie density vegetables before. I’ll make my plate visually 50/50.
BambiS

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. NO
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO
6. Eliminate any added oil. NO
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). NO
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

I went out of town for three days at the beginning of the week with my husband for our anniversary and we ate out the entire time. When it was an option I still tried to start with salad and do the 50/50 plate, but not all vegan restaurants have that. I did get right back on track when we got home though.
Rebecka22

Postby carolw » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 am

Hello to all MWL participants and Mark, Jeff and Wildgoose,
I'm Back! After a hiatus of about about 2 years, I have returned to this forum. I left because I was having technical problems getting in and it just seemed too overwhelming to resolve. I was in the midst of closing up 53 years of living in Israel in order to move permanently to Sydney Australia to be with my children and grandchildren. Rather a daunting task at the age of 80. But we did it! Then we had to find a residence in Sydney, furnish an apartment and settle in. And we did ii!
I'm returning to this forum because the move has put me more in the kitchen cooking for family and friends and consequently more non-compliant foods have entered my life (and my mouth). I have gained a few pounds and they are sitting round my middle. Not a good look. Even at 82, vanity is important. I am dedicated to the health that Dr McDougall's program has brought me (no medications!) and would like to get the support, feedback and inspiration to continue. Finally, It is sometimes lonely in our toxic food environment to be on this road to health. Still hard to believe that so few people in my environment are not on board. Believe me I have tried to carry this message (It's the food, folks) but no one is listening. So I need buddies- a community- and you are it!
I was reviewing the last few years of this forum and noticed in December 2022, Gimmelean wrote:"I hope that Carol..and those who haven't been here for a while are doing well." I was so touched by this and so lucky to have seen it. Thanks for making me feel welcome Gimmelean.

Let's get to work:
1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES I am already programmed to make a large salad for lunch for me and my husband. and I also usually have a soup for dinner. Glad to report that these 2 habits have stayed with me.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. My plate is usually 1/3 grain or potato, 1/3 legume, and 1/3 veggies. I did this in order to maintain my weight[ and not lose any more. Now I will up the veggie portion to be in compliance[i]

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES, I do love salt and am working to reduce it. I do not have blood pressure problems but it does tend to make the food too palatable.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES, I have taken out the avocado and tahini and soy products

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES except when eating out when it may not be possible

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.YES, I consider giving up bread a game changer.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES but I try to eat enough at a meal to carry me through to the next meal

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).YES this is really important for us older folks. We do a Chair Yoga workout twice a week, swim, and walk.

I have not had a full week so it will take me some time to incorporate all of the points.
Glad to be here and looking forward.

Carol
carolw

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Hope that everyone is doing great!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Just a few times for the week.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
This was an atypical week for me. I was sick / sweating out the fever for 3 days on the couch. I ate much more starch concentrated than I normally do (like a bowl of rice and corn or split pea soup with rice or potatoes only). I am already well back to my standard starchy / non-starchy meals. I did find the super starchy meals worked great with a semi-upset tummy.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes – reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages.
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes – no stuffing or starving. I was a lot less hungry when I was sick and stopped eating when feeling comfortably full.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Well, not a banner week for me with a few 100% rest days. I did bounce back really well and did strength training, pickleball, and a few jog / walks for the week. I am playing in my first ever mixed doubles pickleball tournament early on Saturday!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Carol – Glad to see you back!! It sounds like you are doing wonderful!!! I love this group for the sense of community – similar to what you articulated.

Mark – Thank you so much for your supportive comments last week (and all of the other weeks too!)!

I have packed bananas, potatoes, carrots, and Jeff Burgers for my pickleball tournament tomorrow. I am making regular oatmeal to eat in the car on the way cold. I have another tournament the following week so will see if any adjustments to food would be helpful.

Hope that everyone has a terrific week!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 am

Happy Saturday, everyone!

*Guidelines:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 

- Decision to adhere: I jumped back into salads this week! 

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 

- Decision to adhere: We traveled this week (3 days in our RV from CA to TX) so making food ahead was essential. It worked!!

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 

6. Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 

- Observation: I had full meals but still felt hungry many times this week. Perhaps if we weren't traveling I would have eaten more or snacked more but I didn't want to run out of food while traveling. My meals were already portioned out. 

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Not Compliant 

- Non-compliance/reason: I planned to use my fitness apps while traveling and that just didn't work out. I exercised 2 days this week. I think my biggest challenge this week was choosing something else over exercise when I felt tired...like watching a show on my phone. 

- Decision to Adhere, going forward: We will be traveling thru mid-May. The only thing that's worked so far, in the RV (or really in life) is exercising BEFORE my kids wake up. I have to start that routine again...even if I'm tired. Waiting until the end of the day results in me wanting to "unwind" instead of exercise. Also, I will ask my husband to hold me accountable this week. 

*Weight Change: 2lb loss* (same as last week)

*SUMMARY/THOUGHTS*
I was determined to remain compliant during our road trip! I planned ahead and feel great about the choices I made as we traveled, minus my non-compliance with #10. Having that mindset going into this trip considerably reduced how much we spent on eating out, as a family. A big win! It was easy for me to pass on a time my family grabbed food to-go. We ate together in the RV but I ate food I cooked/prepped. That moment felt great because it was intentional! We dined in once on our trip; my husband really just wanted to "experience" the small, country town. I ate an apple before walking in the restaurant as my starter. I was pretty sure fruit was not on the menu; it wasn't. I ordered a salad and plain baked potato; those were my only options, which worked out great! I asked...all other veggies listed on the menu were made with meat.

I am also happy to see a steady weight decrease although that is only a byproduct of my renewed mindset. It's not significant enough to derail my thinking (re: unhealthy focus on my scale). 

We have many events during our trip so it will take great intention and perseverance to stay compliant, esp with exercise. Many events are either at restaurants or include dinner. I have already submitted my special requests for select events...I will see how that goes. Today, I am going to a Bridal Brunch at a restaurant. I have already looked at the menu and know what I will order. I am also resolved to not eat if they will not meet my request. Every victory so far just deepens my convictions to adhere to the Guidelines with confidence!

Thank you, Mark, and everyone else for your support!
CUgorji22

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:37 am

Greetings Everyone!

MWL Post for week ending 4/19/24

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
Not completely. I had some bread. Always aware of it not being adherent.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e.,
Victories, Questions, Comments: I missed posting last week and glad to be back to the group. Welcome back Carol and thank YOU for your kind comments. It’s true. This program and the support of everyone here is a gift.
Gimmelean

Reporting for this week's Assessments is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's behavioral results has officially closed.

My replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program