The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2024 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2024 Group

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Another solid week. I feel like I have a good plan going into Easter celebrations full of food. I hope everyone has a great week!
Rebecka22

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

Hi fellow MWLers! I can hardly believe it's the end of the first quarter of 2024 already, and that Easter weekend is upon us! I feel like this year is beginning to slip away and I haven't made the progress on my goals that I would have liked. However, instead of being discouraged, I am looking at this as an opportunity to capture my opportunity to still achieve my ideal health this year! That's why I've joined this group, and I appreciate all of your contributions as we press on together.
Thanks for your helpful comments on my post last week, Wildgoose. I enjoyed looking up those recipes and won't buy any pre-made burgers going forward. I'll let my husband finish up the ones we have left.

My week was good. I'm getting better and better at the 10 steps.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Mostly

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Getting better at this.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.

6. Eliminate any added oil.Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No. Had bread twice, vegan muffins that my friend's kids made for me when I visited their new home, and some air popped popcorn one night

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No. Oatmilk in my Crio Bru

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Mostly. Had a few times of overeating and a couple times of boredom snacking.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. 3 days of BodyPump class and 3 days of my 3 mile morning walk.

Comments/ Concerns
As I write this, I see several areas where I can clean things up. I want to do an A+ job and I would say I'm at a solid B. I've lost nearly 3 pounds this month. That's not bad, but I would like to double that in April. Also, my blood sugar is still quite elevated, so I'd like to work on that. I think it's just going to take time, as this month marks the 20th anniversary of my diagnosis. :eek: I really want this year to be the year that I get it under control for good. Also, I am really enjoying eating cabbage vegetable soup before my meals. The only problem is that my husband also enjoys this soup so much that sometimes I find it's gone when I go to have it! :lol: Good problem to have! I need to go make more now, in fact. Hope everyone has a Happy Easter! I will be making a Lentil Shepherd's Pie for our Easter Supper. Curious what everyone else is having/making.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Artista » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.  Yes

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert.  Yes

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.  Yes.

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).  Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Not quite, still using a little soy milk here and there.

6) Eliminate any added oil.  Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).  Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, I notice I haven’t been as hungry this week and it’s been easier to not eat past comfortably full.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). I missed 2 days of exercise this week, one day due to weather and the other due to a full schedule.

This was a good week except for missing a couple days of exercise. This coming week shouldn’t be so jam-packed so I’m hoping to have more time for exercise. I feel like I’ve gotten into a comfortable rhythm with food, eating, and hunger/fullness. It’s been feeling very doable lately.

Welcome back, Mark!

Wildgoose, Thank you so much for all your helpful and encouraging comments last week. I get so much from your posts. I’m going to make the Black Bean/Lentil Burgers this week. :)
Artista

Postby Starflower » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:55 am

MWL post for 3/30

Hi MWL team! :)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

It was a decent week. I got into some macadamias. :( At least I gave the rest away. Onward! :)

Have a lovely time, Mark! :)

Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

YAY, it finally really feels like Spring here! Got in a great walk outside this morning – love seeing all of the bright and happy daffodils blooming, birds chirping and others people out and about enjoying the weather!!!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Remains about 50% of the time.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes – reduced not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages.
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. Not stuffing or starving. Still being mindful.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Not as much as usual, but got at least 30 min. of brisk walking in each day. We have a great indoor walking venue at work where there is a loop – about 14 laps is a mile. When there are busy days, I take a couple of breaks during the day and walk in the basement.

Wildgoose Thank you so much for your feedback last week. You were right on with me being a bit apprehensive about taking my own food right to the table in the restaurant. I am a master at pre-eating (or sneak eating LOL) and finding compliant items to order (if they exist at the venue). Appreciate your examples and details of how you have done this (also love the idea of warm brown rice bowl) --- and am going to give it a run next weekend when I am going back to the same place where I had a miss last week.

Kirstykay – We are going out to an Easter brunch tomorrow at a restaurant. I am planning to stick to fruit and raw veggies / salad. Will eat my oatmeal before. Your Shepherd’s Pie sounds great!

Mark – Hope you have an amazing time in the Big Apple! Sounds exciting - especially for your daughter!!!

Hope you all have a beautiful spring weekend and enjoy the week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 pm

MWL Post for week ending 3/29/24

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes.

2). Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals.
Yes.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs,)
Yes

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu,soy).
Yes

6) Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air popped popcorn, and dried fruit.
No. Breads are a challenge.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes. I have been doing much more of this than I ever have surprisingly and paying much more attention to which foods are truly satiating. I can take the edge off of my appetite with fruit and raw veggies but still pretty hungry and noticed how much more full I was after a cup of whole cooked barley with blueberries.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes.

11)Posting before the close of the week
Yes ! Just in under the wire.

Victories, Questions, Comments:
Welcome back Mark.
Stephanie, I loved your interview and watched the whole thing- very inspiring
See you in April!!
Gimmelean

Mark's Replies for March 29

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 am

BambiS - Solid efforts! It seems like you are on the right track. I did have a great birthday and a fun outing in New York City, too! Cheers!

Rebecka22 - Excellent progress! I'm happy to know that you are feeling positive about your plans for navigating the Easter celebrations. Have fun and have an amazing week!

kirstykay - Seems like you continue to progress, Kirsty! I think the perspective that you are bringing to your efforts at present is quite beneficial; you are acknowledging and appreciating the work you have done and continue to do, while also assessing the areas that would benefit from greater focus, attention, and adjustments. That is exactly how one can turn a B into an A, right? I'm right beside you in feeling like this year is really slipping by at breakneck speed. :eek: You and your husband both enjoying the soup is definitely a good problem to have! :D Lentil Shepherd's Pie sounds like a delightful and delicious supper for Easter. Enjoy!

Artista - Awesome that you had a good week, Nancy! Isn't that feeling of establishing a good, solid rhythm nice? I love the sense of capability and efficacy it brings. :D Let us know how the black bean/lentil burgers work out!

Starflower - We will always take a decent week over one that feels out of control, right? Arranging your environment to better support what you are trying to achieve is always a solid move, so well done! Onward!

VegSeekingFit - It definitely feels like spring has sprung here, too, Stephanie! I love hearing and seeing the birds all around. How fantastic that you have that indoor walking venue available at work - very nice. Best of luck with your restaurant adventures; my own typical option is to bring one (or more) cooked sweet potatoes to slide onto a plate of restaurant prepared salad or steamed veggies. I've never had any staffers even notice. :-) We DID have a really great time in NYC - my daughter had a ball!

Gimmelean - Kudos! Much as you observe, although I love my salads, fruits and non starchy vegetables, minimally processed starches are the linchpin for feeling satiated, in my personal experience. Thanks for the welcome back and see you again in April!
Mark Cooper

In Closing,

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:53 am

Another big thank you to wildgoose for your work in shepherding the group, and congratulation and applause to all who participated this week, last week, and this month! Now we head on to April!

I will post the new April thread on Monday, and I hope I will see all of you there, too!

I just want to close out March by celebrating all your efforts and recognizing what a great month of progress, hard work, and lively discussion we have had. Give yourself a pat on the back, a round of applause, or do a little happy dance!

May the days ahead be filled with feelings of joy, self-efficacy, and hope! Take care & be well!
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:27 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert
Yes

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes

6. Eliminate any added oil.
Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself
Yes

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Not every day

Victories, comments, concerns, questions good week, nothing eventful
A good week, I added a lot more green lower calorie veggies this week
BambiS

Postby Starflower » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:27 pm

Hi MWL team! :)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

This week was not too bad. I’m having trouble with the higher fat foods. Right now I’m taking it one meal at a time. On a positive note, SAD foods don’t appeal at all anymore. :)

Wishing everyone a wonderful and healthy week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby sarabee » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:18 pm

Hello MWL team. I hope everyone had a good week.

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES> Breakfast is oats, spinach, flax meal, fruit. I had veggie soup in the frig all week and ate it before most other meals.

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Mostly. Still eating a little tofu and avocado.

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES. I’m proud of myself for this because these things are in the house and I remind myself that what I eat is my choice for my health. I am keeping frozen cherries on hand as a “go-to” when others in the house are eating calorie-dense food.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES. I get lots of exercise. I row on a Concept2 Ergometer daily and have rowed over two million meters in the last 12 months.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I have been watching videos and reading articles this week and feel very motivated and happy with the direction I am going with my food choices, keeping good starches and veggies and fruit available and reminding myself that I am focusing on long-term habits and long-term health! Many thanks to all in the group for your posts. I find that it is very motivating to read your comments each week!
sarabee

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program