January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: January 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby victw » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 pm

I was hoping to catch up with the thread before I posted. I was out of town last Friday - but wow - lots of activity.

I'm up .8 lb.

I was with family that are stressed and using food as comfort. I went along a few too many times. I will have to work on the getting along without going along.

On the other hand this is the beginning of the 3rd year - since I started my turn around. I'm up a few lbs from my goal weight. But mostly doing ok.

Vic
11/1/19 Sloppy - 137.6/21.55
1/1/19 Still maintaining - 134.8/21.11
10/12/18 Maintenance wt - 136.4 BMI 21.36
5/6/18 151.8 lbs 23.8 - Normal. 4/8/18 154.6 lbs BMI 24.2 - Normal. 3/11/18 161 BMI 25.2 Overweight.
3 years staying on plan is the goal.
victw

Postby VGuzman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi all,

Weigh-in for this week.

Beginning weight: 125.2 lb. (1/3/2020)

last week: 124.2 lb., (0 lb. loss)
weight this week: 122.8 lb. (1/24/2020), (1.4 lb. loss)

Slowly, but surely making progress.

Vicki
VGuzman

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:00 pm

I have a question about dried chickpeas. Does it make them more calorie dense to roast them (without oil of course)? Are they a good snack, or are they not okay since roasting dries them out? TIA
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:12 pm

kirstykay wrote:I have a question about dried chickpeas. Does it make them more calorie dense to roast them (without oil of course)? Are they a good snack, or are they not okay since roasting dries them out? TIA

Yes.

Roasting dries them out and concentrates the calories, making them calorie dense (~1800 cal/lb) and lower in satiety, and that is for the ones without oil.

Remember, high water content is our friend as it lowers calorie density and drying is the opposite

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby troypohl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Troy Pohl
January 24, 2020 Weigh-in
Male: 
Height: 5'10"

Weight: 186.6

Goal: 174

Down 0.7  lbs from last weigh of 187.3 on January 17, 2020
troypohl

Postby debsal » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:26 am

no change this week
debsal

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:47 am

kirstykay wrote:As far as the 10-point checklist:
#1-I don't start my meals with soup, salad, or fruit. This guideline goes against the 2 servings/day of fruit a day, so it's confusing to me. If we ate a piece of fruit before each of three meals and then also for dessert, we would be eating 4 fruits/day. I often just eat soup and/or a salad, so this guideline seems strange to me. Maybe I'll revisit this one too when/if weight loss becomes an issue.

When I first wrote the guideline it was “start your meal with soup and/or salad” but I added in fruit for 2 reasons.

1) studies came out showing the same/similar impact of a pre-load of fruit as with soup or salt on overall caloric intake.

2) I got a lot of questions about whether the “soup or salad” included breakfast or not as for many, soup or salad for breakfast was not typical. Adding in “fruit” solved that problem as it was much more common for people to start with fruit or to have it with breakfast and (as per #1) the evidence supported it.

Either way, it is only a guideline and an option for you. You could easily start breakfast with fruit and have soup/salad for lunch and dinner and you are still within all guidelines.

Some like to start meals with fruit and some like soup and some salad and some soup and salad. When I was growing up, my mom usually served fruit before dinner each nite. Others like to have it for dessert as it solves the “what’s for dessert” question.

Hope that helps

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JaBee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:05 am

Down 1.6#, current weight 201
Going in right direction
First goal below 200#, almost there!
JaBee

Postby ltolar » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:23 am

Good morning!

weight: -0.6

Last weekend was busy. We ate out and I lost control over my diet. Also, I have increased exercise, but I have not found a comfortable routine.
ltolar

Postby Denise46 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:37 am

Starting 152.4
Last weigh in 149
Today 150.6
It’s been a difficult two weeks. My mom is in the hospital and I spent several days in the ER with her eating the best that I could manage.
Denise46

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 am

My weight is up 2 lb this week.
I was very surprised at this because I thought I had a relatively good week. I didn't eat in any restaurants. I had plenty of MWL food ready to go and I ate balanced meals. Looking back over my diary this week I was surprised at how much snacking I did. I didn't get hooked on one thing and eat it all week. I kind of grazed on off-plan snacks throughout the week... So here is the sad reality report. I had to put 6 of the 10 principles in the trouble section and only 4 in the on-plan section. :shock:

Needs improvement:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6. Eliminate any added oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Good behaviors from this week:
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.

I like this format you've started, Mark, of taking time to review the 10 pt. checklist each week and reflect on the good and the not so good behaviors. Thank you for all your attention to helping us achieve this goal. :) Even though I gained weight again this week, I feel confident that I'm headed in the right direction. If I stay focused I'm sure I will get there.

I wish everyone an enjoyable and successful week!
moonlight

Postby Butterfly043 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 am

Sorry, I am out of town, and couldn't figure out how to get back to this thread. I didn't do too well this week either. Up 2 pounds. ugghh

+ 2 pounds
Butterfly043

Postby Carrieann » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:43 am

202.8 – January 24, 2020
Weight change -2.6

Couldn't post until today, but weighed in on Friday. Stressful week since going back to school again and juggling that with work schedule. Although weight went down, still need to work on below:

Points from MWL Checklist that need greater attention:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Not doing point 10 reliably, noticed my morning blood sugars (Type 2 Diabetic controlling with food, no meds) slowly creeping up again.

Biggest success this week was cutting out adding the salt--where I felt my biggest problem last week to really work on.

Carrieann

Postby pbnew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am

1/24/2020. down - 1.2 lb. a little slower this week
Total loss 5.5 lb
Greetings from Charlotte, NC
Best wishes for a good next week.
pbnew

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:30 am

Hi,

Yesterday the scale said - weight change is -1.0.

Start weight - 146.4
Last week - 144.2
This week - 143.2

I continued to be successful with points 1 and 3-9. Not eating out at all during this period helped!

I have been working on following 50/50 by visual volume and on incorporating daily exercise. Progress made in adding more veggies. I love roasted portabellas and bell peppers. Found that these save great in the fridge and taste great in a salad. Have exercised 4x this week - just 30 minute walks at lunch, but better than the 1x last week. Will continue to work on these points.

I am so grateful for this discussion forum in providing education and ability to virtually "share" our experiences on this journey.

Happy weekend! :cool:
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program