10-Year McDougall-versary

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

10-Year McDougall-versary

Postby MINNIE » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:56 pm

I don't post here much but that's because there's nothing much new to say. I tried the program, loved the program, and stuck with the program.

I just turned 77, in apparently perfect health:). Thank you Dr. McDougall, and all the plant-based people !

I am posting this in case someone new or curious drops in and wonders if anyone sticks to the program 100 %.

I don't mean to say that you have to do that to get results - do what works for you.
But when I realized how beneficial this was for me, I decided to go all in. I have not, to my knowledge, eaten off plan since I started. I eat this way all the time, every day. It never has been a problem.

Just for fun, I made list of foods that I stopped eating in the beginning and eventually realized I didn't even miss. Again, not saying you have to do this, but it worked for me.

The one that surprised me the most was this. I don't crave pies of any kind, including pizza. I cook potatoes with pizza-like herbs and tomato sauce and it suits me fine. I I poach peaches, apples, pears, etc. with some cinnamon and allspice and it's good enough.

No pastries of any kind that requires a sweetener: cakes, cookies, puddings whatever.
No fake meat/cheese products even if oil-free.
Candy of any kind.

I know all these things can be made in a McDougall-friendly fashion if you are so inclined. I am too lazy to bother so I just let them go and never missed them. If I ever get the urge to make these items, i will come back here for recipes:).

Best wishes to all, for the holidays of your choice!
MINNIE

Re: 10-Year McDougall-versary

Postby f1jim » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:44 pm

Congrats Minnie
You have every right to be proud of the control you have given yourself over your health.
You inspire me to continue my own path.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:03 am

Big Congratulations! 10 years is no small achievement. Even better, you are enjoying the amazing results! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Daydream » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:27 am

Minnie, thank you for sharing! I feel similarly. Eleven years ago when I read The Starch Solution, I started eating the McDougall diet and never looked back. I just wish I had become aware of this way of eating many decades ago.
Daydream

Postby QubitBob » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:02 am

The one that surprised me the most was this. I don't crave pies of any kind, including pizza.

Similar story here, with some exceptions. Last week was my birthday, and that (Friday) morning I found myself craving a carrot cake. I didn't plan to do anything about it, though. Well, low and behold, at noon a delivery was made at our door, followed by a phone call from my younger brother and his wife. They sent us (I live with my twin brother) a birthday gift--two mini bundt cakes from an online company called NothingBundtCakes.com. And here's the surprise--one of the cakes was a carrot cake, the other was chocolate chip. So that evening, I had a slice of the carrot cake. And, guess what--I found that I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected. I realized my craving was more for the birthday cake ritual rather than the treat itself. Since I rarely eat cookies, pies, or cakes anymore, I've "lost my taste" for them. Like the majority of people here, I've found that the flavorful whole-food, plant-based foods which I eat 99% of the time are all that I desire now.
QubitBob

Postby landog » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:13 pm

Hi Minnie,

Congratulations on your McDougallversary. I hope that you enjoy many more!

-dog
landog

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story, Minnie!
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby pundit999 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:10 am

Great story Minnie!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing
pundit999

Postby REWohsnus » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:22 pm

Congratulations to you Minnie!

I have to say I am not actually sure how long its been, but I too am over ten years. I, and my family love the food. We've kept it simple. Trying to substitute was time consuming and so we just dropped certain foods. It is truly a wonderful thing to eat food that that engages and energizes the body and can be so simple and hearty.
REWohsnus

Postby michaelswarm » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Congratulations Minnie!

Also McDougall for a decade plus. I tend to cook somewhat fancy, in preparation and technique, not ingredients, which are simple. I want my kids to grow up having eaten good tasting food. As adults they will go out into the world, and I don't want them to think they have to eat like a monk. Kind of like a vaccine against the mainstream food culture.
michaelswarm

Postby pundit999 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:32 am

My wife and I have been following a whole plants only diet for > 12 years.
I have reversed my heart disease, Gerd and various other ailments. She has a lost the last 10 lbs :-)
We have a few simple recipes that we cook every week. It has been a revelation that oil is not needed to cook tasty food.
On auto pilot for quite some time now.
pundit999

Postby QJay » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:12 pm

:-D :thumbsup:
Congratulations Minnie! I'm still a "beginner" and found your post to be very encouraging - thank you!
QJay

Return to The Lounge