Happy Sumo New Year 2023!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Happy Sumo New Year 2023!

Postby landog » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:07 am

It's been a rough holiday season for me. Some grade school classmates were having a holiday getting together at a bar, and I joined them. Not something I'm in a habit to do because of Covid - plus I quit drinking on 1/1/2022.

Thursday evening sore throat.
Friday morning positive Covid test. My first time. Fever, body aches.

Family plans were dashed. 3 others from the Tuesday crew reported positive tests.

Christmas Eve evening chest pain. 911 to the hospital. No heart damage. Christmas - I noticed that the pain was lower right rib cage. Start Paxlovid. Day after Christmas doctor wants me discharged. "Follow up with a GI doc and your PCP." When I push back he states that I came in for heart pain and I have no heart damage. I consider that the food is better at home, even though my wife is happy to bring meals from home. So I go home. PCP is on vacation. GI can't see me until February.

Next days. Fever, body aches. I feel weak. The rib cage area pain is intense. Finally, the fever seems to be subsiding, but not the pain. I go back to ER on Thursday.

ER doc is amazing. Gets me extensive testing for my lower right rib cage pain. Turns out I have a gallbladder that no longer functions and it’s inflamed. Diagnosis: Acute cholecystitis. The surgeon follows low fat WFPB and is a fan of the Esselstyns.

Luckily, on my own, I stopped taking the Plavix on Tuesday. I figured I might need surgery.

After a day and a half in the hospital, I'm discharged. I go back on Tuesday to get the gallbladder removed.

I'm weak and have little stamina. Resting until then - and afterwards!

The bright spot. My oldest son texts me: Do you want some Sumos?

I'm surprised that he had to ask!

Enjoy your 2023 Sumo Season!

landog

Re: Happy Sumo New Year 2023!

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:46 pm

Hi Landog!! :)

Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery --- hope you heal fast!!!

Loving the Sumos too.. Enjoy!!! :D

Take care,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Daydream » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:43 pm

Landog, I'm sorry you have been so sick. I wish you a successful and easy surgery. Thank you for sharing your picture. Now I have a mental image for Landog.

I started laughing about the Sumo oranges! We bought some recently too.

I hope 2023 will be a good year for all of us.
Daydream

Postby Mark Cooper » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:07 am

Wishing you the very best, Landog, and hoping your surgery and recovery are easy and resolve with the best possible outcomes! Take care.
Mark Cooper

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:14 am

Landog, I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow! It's almost exactly 11 years to the day that I had my one & only gall bladder attack & removal. I hope your recovery is swift and smooth! I wish you well!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:08 am

Sumo's are probably a cure for anything you have!!!!
Waiting here for this years crop.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge