The Pleasure Trap Trigger Foods Poll

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which is the biggest trigger food for you in regard to The Pleasure Trap & overeating

Poll ended at Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 am

High Fat Plant Foods - Nuts, Seeds, etc
24%
Flour Products - Breads, Bagels, Crackers, Dry Cereals, etc
55%
Dried Fruit - Dates, Raisins Figs, etc
4%
Free Sugars - Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Agave, etc
17%

Total votes : 89

Re: The Pleasure Trap Trigger Foods

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:56 pm

None of the above, really. I like dark chocolate a lot, but I prefer it bitter, not sweet.

I don't add sugar to foods like cereal--no flavor--I prefer it topped with fresh berries.

I'm not much interested in baked goods either, unless they are home made, and right out of the oven, or perhaps a really great loaf of sourdough French bread, in which case I would eat the entire thing in one sitting.

And, of course, I could live on ice cream--or die of it. But I want the really good (read BAD) premium stuff.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby NinOz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 am

Any kind of artisan, sourdough bread with a thick crust - mmmmmm.... At least I don't put butter on it anymore or dip it in olive oil :?
NinOz

Postby dteresa » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:04 am

Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Italian Pane bread. Fortunately I do not get to Trader Joe's very often as it is a distance from my house.

I could over eat on regular white flour pasta so it is never in the house. I do keep whole wheat pasta in a jar on top of the fridge in plain sight but don''t like it so much, so staring at it every time I am in the kitchen doesn't start any cravings. What I can't figure out is, if I do decide to have some, why I always overdo it even though it isn't even a close second to regular pasta.

didi
dteresa

Postby dinska » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:32 am

I don't even LIKE dry cereal or loaf bread and if it's in the pantry I'll eat it nearly in one sitting. Not even kidding, it's just too easy. Other flour products like pasta or pitas are not a problem. Pretty neutral to everything else on the list. The sweets are too sweet, the nuts are too rich, etc. to overeat.
dinska

Postby arugula » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:47 am

the only nuts and seeds i am safe with are flax, sesame, and walnuts. i can eat those sparingly, as condiments.

anything else is not safe, especially pistachios.

the last two months i was baking bread from scratch. result: 5 lb gained. so bread is not safe, either.

i am ok with whole grain pasta though. it's not very tasty so not very tempting. but still, i am afraid to make them a regular part of my daily diet. they are only for occasions.

i am also ok with sweet potatoes and brown rice. i don't think i have ever gone overboard with them.
arugula

Postby Katydid » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:49 am

Dry cereals, rice cakes, gluten-free crackers, pretzels, etc. I can't have them in the house and I have to have argument with myself to keep them out of shopping basket. Serious addictive pull every time I see them. It's an argument I don't always win. :oops:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby geo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:07 am

On other thing to mention is those trigger foods that are gateways to other worse triggers. For me that's flour based foods which almost always leads to binging on cheese or peanut butter, etc... for sandwiches, crackers, fried breaded products, pizza etc... highly processed flour products are pure evil and lead down a very dark hole to SAD due to all the other things it triggers.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:22 am

This poll is quite interesting. I would have thought it would be more evenly split, but flour outpaces fat two to one. And for all the talk people have about a sweet tooth, sweeteners are lagging way behind.
vgpedlr

Postby patty » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:30 pm

JeffN wrote:
jay kaye wrote:Jeff,

I have always put chocolate in the the High Fat Plant food category, but you only list nuts and avocado?

j

Thanks.

I am trying to limit it to foods deemed somewhat acceptable on the WFPB diet and tend to be trigger foods. The three biggest ones on a WFPB diet are nuts/seeds, flour products and dried fruits. Salt also but salt is consumed as part of a food, most often bread products. Some consider maple syrup and honey as whole foods too.

But yes, chocolate is the #1 craved food in the world.

In Health
Jeff

It would be great if a program of application was created to catch the emotional triggers. When I read Dr. McDougall's post on Liars.. I got caught up in justified anger, it took most of the day to remember it was a portal for Dr. McDougall, and it passed as soon as I remembered Dr. McDougall was Whole as Whole lacks for nothing. Justified anger is just as harmful as unjustified and it is harder to catch.

I have always wondered why Dr. McDougall has never created a program of application as he has connected the addiction dots of food and money. There is the separation of religion and scientist and maybe that is the root of it, but today they have the new atheist. It takes total anarchy as the ultimate addiction is me (separation), when it collapses I am you. As Dr. Campbell shares in Whole, it has to be from the bottom up. We know that a new paradigm always feels uncomfortable in a old. Our body is communicating our essence to us all the time. The world is designed to disappoint us, so we look beyond. That is why chocolate is the #1 craving:)

I just have add my gratitude to you Jeff.. from watching your Calorie Density dvd.. food became like air and water. I have learned to be selective with my triggers, how to make them work for me and that is because I am no longer economically afraid of surviving. I can eat a potato, make food that sustains me, while waiting for this too will pass, where i can be a hatchet of forgiveness. Life consumes us and it doesn't need a reason:)

Mahalo nui loa/Thank you from the heart!

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:54 pm

patty wrote:I just have add my gratitude to you Jeff.. from watching your Calorie Density dvd.. food became like air and water. I have learned to be selective with my triggers, how to make them work for me and that is because I am no longer economically afraid of surviving. I can eat a potato, make food that sustains me, while waiting for this too will pass, where i can be a hatchet of forgiveness. Life consumes us and it doesn't need a reason:)

Mahalo nui loa/Thank you from the heart!

Aloha, patty

Thank you!

The impact of calorie density, satiety and my SNAP program is way beyond weight. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm

vgpedlr wrote:This poll is quite interesting. I would have thought it would be more evenly split, but flour outpaces fat two to one. And for all the talk people have about a sweet tooth, sweeteners are lagging way behind.

It is interesting, isn't it?

I am letting the polls run a little while longer but when the polling is done, I am going to share some reasons I think this is so.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Denise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Thankfully I've been eating MWL 100% long enough that none of the choices are an issue or a trigger for me past 6 years.

Cheers
Denise

Postby YvonneG » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Hands down flour but it's even more of a problem when it's "combined" with other pleasure trap chemicals (like sugar or fat). If you could wave a magic wand and make me immune to the ill effects of one food I would choose... drumroll... cake (flour, sugar, fat and sometimes salt). And it's everywhere (especially right next to the veggies at Publix!!) and takes a lot of forms (cake, donuts, cupcakes etc). It's funny - I can have bags of nuts pass their expiration date because I didn't eat them but Grape Nuts or any other cereal - can snack on it all day.

After adopting the program that's pretty much what I kept tripping on - sugar and flour. I didn't really miss meat, eggs or cheese (get sick eating these anyway) but it's been easier after taking sugar and flour out of my diet and I have dropped another almost 40 pounds. The cravings dropped significantly and once you neuroadapt the food tastes even better. I don't miss sugar but still somewhat miss flour (mainly bread).
YvonneG

Postby YvonneG » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Flour products are great too because they make eating convenient. Bread for sandwiches, wraps - just make a sandwich or wrap and go. I used to make these hummus quesadillas - really fast. And pizza - holds on those toppings. Same with a hogie roll - make a lentil "meatball" type sandwich or something like that. Yes forks work as well :) but I think that's part of why I miss it - the convenience and how it serves as a container for other foods. And there's alot of history - I've eaten sandwiches and pizza etc my whole life :)
YvonneG

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:47 pm

JeffN wrote:[
It is interesting, isn't it?

I am letting the polls run a little while longer but when the polling is done, I am going to share some reasons I think this is so.

In Health
Jeff

As always, I will be fascinated to read your thoughts. As for sweets, it always amazes when people list foods as sweets, and rail against sugar, when in fact those foods are really very high in fat. In fact, true sweets, like candy that does not have fat, don't seem to have much of grip on people. I don't see people bingeing on hard candy or gummy bears the was I see them fight over chocolate and pastries. The exception might be soda, since people are pretty hooked on liquid calories.
vgpedlr

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge