Helping Loved Ones

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Helping Loved Ones

Postby kimp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:28 pm

Just visited this site for the first time and the paragraph about our loved ones who go to the doctor and just spend money on more medications and are still fat and unhealthy, hit it right on the head with my grandmother's situation.

My question is: how do you help someone who doesn't believe they can be helped? How do you convince them the "old Western" way isn't the way to go?

THank you in advance for any advice you may give
kimp

You might not be able too...

Postby Sunny » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:26 pm

It is very hard when you know that there is a way for them to get better, but they have to want it too. You can show them all the people who have changed to a McDougall lifestyle and how they have turned their lives around. Go to the McDougall main page http://www.drmcdougall.com. then go to Star McDougallers, lots of great stories.
Sunny

helping others

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:32 pm

When I tried to convert my parents, I had no success. Three years later, I finally was able to get my mother to try McDougalling when she had gone without her voice and her senses of smell and taste (and couldn't sing) for over three months after having a cold. She has asthma and high blood pressure. I was sitting in the doctor's office with her, getting referrals to a gastroenterologist and pulmonologist - and I asked her what she had to lose? I said, "If you could improve your breathing and get your voice back by standing on your head in the corner for an hour a day, would you do it?" and she said yes, and I then said eating potatoes is a lot easier than standing on your head.

I spent the next two weeks with my parents, showing her how to order in restaurants and how to cook at home. My father (84 and two heart surgeries) would NOT eat what we were eating, but my mother did everything I told her to, and after a few days noticed her arthritis was better. After a week, she was singing in church on Sunday and her voice was back. She was thrilled, I was thrilled, my father was thrilled but he STILL would not give in and give up his fried fish once a week and his margarine spread.

When my husband and I first started McDougalling, it was the hardest thing we had ever done, partly because we were doing it with our children too, and weren't sure we were doing the right thing for them. As time goes on it is easier. I think the older a person gets the harder they are to convert to McDougalling, we get "set in our ways". Sometimes, though, it takes a health crisis to work miracles. What worked well - at least in our experience - was living with the person to show them how it's done.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Return to The Lounge