Finally a doctor who is on board with a plant-based diet IRL

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Finally a doctor who is on board with a plant-based diet IRL

Postby Cherry Tomato » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

And no, he's not a cardiologist or internist but my eye doctor! I have a condition called "miebomian gland dysfunction," or what he tells me they are now calling a form of "rosacea." There are glands in your eyelids that secrete viscous fluid that keeps your tears from drying up. If these glands get blocked, it can cause a problem; and that is what has happened to me. Last year, when it first happened, the eye doctor recommended fish oil, as he said that studies are showing that Omega-3's can help with this condition. He indicated that he is very much interested in the nutritional aspects of curing people of their illnesses. So today I went in for a checkup and told him I had switched to Flax oil capsules because I am trying to switch to a plant-based diet...and he said that Flax is just as good as fish oil and also that my plant-based diet itself will help with my eye condition. It was so nice to get a positive reaction from a medical person for a change!
Cherry Tomato

Re: Finally a doctor who is on board with a plant-based diet

Postby afreespirit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Sounds good, Cherry Tomato. However Dr McDougall and JeffN recommend the whole ground flax seed, rather than flax oil.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... &view=next
afreespirit

Postby carollynne » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Yes!! I used to take flax oil, and then switched to fish oil, on doctor's recommendation, and now back to flax it is!! love your doctor!!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby mountain » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Flaxoil as well as all other oils can get rancid very quick.
How about just grinding up some flaxseeds in an old coffeegrinder and then sprinkle them on salads, stew.....whatever you want?
Fresh is best.... :D
mountain

Postby bestbatchyet » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 pm

I grind up a cup or two and put them in a container in the freezer. It lasts me for a few weeks or more and then I don't have to grind every day. They don't go rancid in the freezer.
bestbatchyet

Postby noelalexis2000 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 am

I am hoping that the future has more Dr's like yours since I am getting older and will probably need one someday. Right now most of them terrify me. :eek:
noelalexis2000

Return to The Lounge