Mr. Coffee coffee grinder, and flax seed.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Mr. Coffee coffee grinder, and flax seed.

Postby Clary » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:59 am

COFFEE GRINDER: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001O ... 6V3E2SYTGZ

Does anyone have any personal experience with this "Mr. Coffee" coffee grinder, linked above for grinding small quantities of flax seed? The info about it says it grinds enough coffee beans for from 4-12 cups of coffee. I'm wondering if that means just a tablespoon or two of seeds might not be enough for the grinder to operate properly :?:

The plastic top on my old trusty grinder that I've had for years has lots of little chips where the plastic is missing around the bottom edge that seats down into the grinding chamber. I just noticed this. --and I'm wondering how much of that plastic was in my ground up seeds!!! :eek:

Does anyone have a different favorite grinder that they use flax seeds, nuts, spices, etc.?
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Re: Mr. Coffee coffee grinder, and flax seed.

Postby gardenveg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:01 am

Clary wrote:COFFEE GRINDER: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001O ... 6V3E2SYTGZ

Does anyone have any personal experience with this "Mr. Coffee" coffee grinder, linked above for grinding small quantities of flax seed? The info about it says it grinds enough coffee beans for from 4-12 cups of coffee. I'm wondering if that means just a tablespoon or two of seeds might not be enough for the grinder to operate properly :?:

The plastic top on my old trusty grinder that I've had for years has lots of little chips where the plastic is missing around the bottom edge that seats down into the grinding chamber. I just noticed this. --and I'm wondering how much of that plastic was in my ground up seeds!!! :eek:

Does anyone have a different favorite grinder that they use flax seeds, nuts, spices, etc.?

Hi Clary,

I have the exact coffee grinder for my flax seeds! So yes I love it it works perfectly. It grinds them very nicely.

Gardenveg
gardenveg

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:33 pm

I use a Black and Decker Smart Grind that I got at Walmart everyday..the plastic is still good but looking a little shabby...I also bought a Braun at a yard sale or thrift shop for 1.00...forget where... for a backup in case anything happens to the first one. I figure there is a build up of flax oil in the first one, so I plan on using the other one for spices, etc...so the flavors don't mix! It still works just fine though and I have ground up sesame seeds, minced onion, etc in it along with flaxseed....

i know the magic bullet sure doesn't work for flaxseed...it dissolves the rubber rings in a month from the oil! I returned mine to the store!
ncyg46

Postby Storym » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi Clary,

I use this coffee grinder and have been really happy with it: http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/98356-cuisinart-grind-central-coffee-grinder.aspx

It's $10 more than the one you listed but I really LOVE it. Grinds my flaxseed really well and has lasted without any problems for the past year or so. Also I love the fact that is stainless steel and it's a breeze to clean since both the bowl and blades are removable and dishwasher safe. Plus by being stainless steel it doesn't get oily from grinding flaxseed so you can grind spices too.

Sometimes I also use my vita mix to grind seeds but I find it hard to clean and decided only to use it for blending soups or an occasional green smoothie :-)
Last edited by Storym on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use; When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." - Ayurvedic Prover
Storym

Postby Lynn M » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:39 pm

I have a Kitchen Aid coffee grinder (received as a gift). The grinding portion is removable and can go into the dishwasher - much easier to clean!
Lynn M

Postby Clary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 am

gardenveg wrote:
Clary wrote:COFFEE GRINDER: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001O ... 6V3E2SYTGZ

Hi Clary,

I have the exact coffee grinder for my flax seeds! So yes I love it it works perfectly. It grinds them very nicely.

Gardenveg

Good to know. How much of the flax seed do you grind at one time?
Clary

Postby Clary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 am

Edit.
Last edited by Clary on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clary

Postby Chumly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 am

I grind about a cup at a time in my Vita-Mix and store it in the freezer.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Clary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:31 am

Chumly wrote:I grind about a cup at a time in my Vita-Mix and store it in the freezer.

Michael

Thanks. I hadn't thought about freezing after grinding.
Clary

Postby Clary » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:46 am

My Thanks to each of you for your input and Ideas. :nod:

I esp. like the idea of the fully stainless steel unit. It was unsettling to me when I noticed on mine the chipped away plastic pieces of the edge of the lid (bowl)--the part that is exposed to the inside of the grinding chamber. I like, too, the idea of removable parts that I can hand wash. (I don't have a dishwasher.) In this one I have used for several years, the grinding chamber is not removable, and I have to dig around inside it to try to remove the crumbs and bits that are sometimes inbedded in an indented seam in the chamber, and under the blades.

I didn't know about some of these better options in a grinder and its components. Thanks, again. The members of this Board are a great resource!
Clary

Postby AnnaS » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 am

Like Lynn M, I have a KitchenAid grinder that I really like, it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000PJ9MFK/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0 Since it's currently not available I wonder if maybe they are discontinuing it? I've had mine for several years, and use it almost weekly. I grind enough flax seeds for the week and store them in a glass jar in the fridge. I prefer this to grinding daily as it saves cleanup. I also use this grinder for spices. The stainless steel bowl is a nice feature, and this can be cleaned separately from the base. Since the plastic top fits OVER the bowl, you wouldn't get any plastic shards in your food.
AnnaS

Return to The Lounge