"I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: "I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

Postby petmomful » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 pm

One thing I say sometimes is, go to this website and you can do a search on anything and get some good info. Then I tell them the url of this site. It is definitely hard to be tactful about this, especially when people seem to hate vegans and think we are nuts! Not sure why. And people have to be ready and willing to do a little research. It always surprises me how little people care about their health.
petmomful

Re: "I can't eat potatoes because it raises my blood sugar"

Postby Thrasymachus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:13 am

There is no clean one-liner you can give her. And as I understand someone who is eating an overall high fat diet and who is also diabetic, potatoes and white bread likely does comparatively higher blood sugar. So such people probably won't be convinced otherwise as they believe what their blood sugar test results tell them and likely won't ever go to low fat diet and will likely believe carb demonizing, especially simple carbs. Such people often think they need more high fat foods which are actually really the worst for diabetes but don't show up in blood sugar test results when you are an eating an overall very high fat diet anyway. Only simple carbs and carb heavy meals show up as noticeable blips spiking blood sugar over acceptable levels or on that borderline to such people who are diabetic and eating an overall high fat diet.

Some said to recommend Forks Over Knives, but Neal Barnard has produced a DVD just on diabetes, "Tackling Diabetes with Dr. Neal Barnard DVD":
http://pcrm1.ultracartstore.com/shop/DVDs/HEAL-206.html
Thrasymachus

Previous

Return to The Lounge