Diet products boost appetite

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Diet products boost appetite

Postby KristaO » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:36 pm

Here's an interesting link about Aspertame (Nutrasweet) and diet foods.

http://www.news.com.au/sundayheraldsun/story/0%2C21985%2C20583922-662%2C00.html
KristaO

Thanx for posting that...

Postby Sunny » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:12 pm

We were just talking at work the other day about people who drink diet soda's, and how much food they eat. I was joking that maybe they think the diet soda will counteract, the huge meal they are eating. Now I will have to share this article with them.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby Lee » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Thanks Krista for this artical. I do not like nutrasweet.
Lee

Postby Malva » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:11 pm

I laughed at the last line of the article.
The whole article was a blast against artificial sweeteners, and then they have to cap it with a statement about Nutrisweet's website (obviously Nutrisweet refused to comment and this was the only word they could get from the company).

Soda pop is such a weird thing to drink.
All those bubbles just get up your nose, and then make you burp. :o

I drink lots of water, and if I want a little flavor I add fruit.
My favorite is frozen peach slices.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby DianeR » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:19 am

Interesting -- thanks for posting this.

We had a long layover at an airport yesterday so I spend time sitting at a bar watching football. I was also able to see what other people ordered, the bar being a place that served burritoes, nachos, etc. I kept seeing folks ordering plates full of cheese and sometimes meat, plus diet sodas or light beer.

We just ordered beer ;)
DianeR

Postby fiddler3 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Interesting about airport travel. I have been travelling alot lately, and managed my last trip to keep McDing while flying. I brought loads of goodies with me, and made sure I didnt get hungry. There ain't NOTHING to buy at an airport, I've found, other than an occasional banana!

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby DianeR » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:00 pm

It depends on the airport, I guess. We've been able to get vegan things at California Pizza Kitchen (cheeseless pizza and veggie pasta) and some vegetable sushi and Chinese dishes. Sometimes we are restricted to veggie burgers or the omnipresent bagels and pretzels.

But, I enjoyed my beer and wasn't really that hungry anyway. I did a naughty and had taken my daughter that morning (it was parent's weekend at her college) to a crepe/waffle place she had yet to try. I couldn't resist the nutella waffle. Bad girl!

Lest you all think, well, one is entitled to sin sometimes, I did suffer several hours of indigestion from my splurge ... It tasted so good, too. Sigh.
DianeR

YOU SAID THE "N" WORD!!!!

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:25 pm

I absolutely love nutella. Haven't had any in a few years, but my memory is quite good. It tastes so good on spoons, I can't imagine putting it on or in a waffle.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby DianeR » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm

Sorry about that!

We ran into a friend of my daughter's on the way to the restaurant and she said anything with nutella on the menu was heavenly. So I thought about that all the way there ... I had no chance.

It probably was the waffle that did me in, though. I will confess to some nutella-times during my McD years and this is the only time I've had problems. Other than learning I can NOT buy the stuff and keep it in the house with me. :mrgreen: Same thing for cashews and almonds ...

From now on, I will just do any splurge with a small, high quality dark chocolate. That has never caused me grief ...
DianeR

Return to The Lounge