continuation from old board...groundhog musings on nicotine

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby groundhogg » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:01 am

You know, I have wondered about why he chose time to be infinte...but i suppose he was going by scientific stuff at the time...not sure though.

And yep, I agree that if time is in fact finite...this blows his whole little tale clear outta the ocean!

But it's a fun thing, though, just sorta makes a good "spooky story" for when the old ones are getting worn out.
groundhogg

Postby Jan Tz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:10 am

I think the reason he wanted time to be finite was that he had already decided on the conclusion, and set up the premises to force the conclusion to be true.

Shrodinger (sp?) had a similar problem...he did not include time in his argument. Something and it's opposite can't both be true at the same time if they are exclusive, rather than relative.

Boy oh boy, I'm having a wonderful day off! I never get to talk 'bout stuff like this with other people...they just look at me funny. :eek:

Thanks! :D
Jan Tz

Postby groundhogg » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:15 am

groundhog appreciates the conversation and would never look at you funny :eek: , no matter how bizarre it got :P

I love bizarre, and anti-bizarre too, really :duh:

Have a nice :) day off! Be sure to cook something yummy while you're home today :-P
groundhogg

Postby Jan Tz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:23 am

Not quite connected, except by lack of logic:

When I was a kid, just learning arithmetic, we were always told not to divide by zero. Can't be done. I never understood why until much later and then I gasped in horror at the realization...

If you have a bunch of stuff and you want to divide it by three, you separate all the stuff into three piles.

If you have a bunch of stuff and you want to divide it by two, you separate it into two piles.

If you have a bunch of stuff and you want to divide it by one, you leave it as it is, in one pile.

If you have a bunch of stuff, like all the constituents of the universe, and you want to divide it by zero, you have to separate it into zero piles, which means...

IT'S THE END OF THE UNIVERSE AS WE KNOW IT.

No wonder they don't explain these things in second grade.
Jan Tz

Postby groundhogg » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:26 am

:eek: :lol: :D
groundhogg

discussion

Postby alvin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:03 pm

Love the way your mind works, Groundhog(g) :thumbsup:
alvin

Postby groundhogg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:26 am

IF groundhog(g)'s mind does in fact work at all... :lol:

I love the kitty with the fruity helmet thing on :D
groundhogg