Oat Milk vs. Soy Milk

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oat Milk vs. Soy Milk

Postby DenverGuy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:13 pm

I kind of got tired of almond milk as it is a little too thin. I did a search here and didn't find much. Overall, does anyone prefer soy milk over oat milk, or vice versa?
DenverGuy

Re: Oat Milk vs. Soy Milk

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:16 pm

For me, it depends on the application. I like soy milk for yogurt and hot cocoa. I use oat milk primarily for baking. I use almond milk for cereal.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby DenverGuy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

Sorry, I meant as far as health is concerned.
DenverGuy

Postby JeffN » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 pm

DenverGuy wrote:I kind of got tired of almond milk as it is a little too thin. I did a search here and didn't find much. Overall, does anyone prefer soy milk over oat milk, or vice versa?

This is the current list of the ones we have at the program. They are the ones we found that are readily available and have the least harmful nutrition numbers (calories, fat, sugar, etc). There may be others out there that are either the same numbers or better and if you think you find one, please let us know.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... utes-rich/

We do not “recommend” the consumption of liquid calories. We recommend limiting their use, if used at all, to nothing more then a condiment (a splash on your cereal or in your tea or coffee).

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Dougalling » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

Oat milk .... 2 cups water, 2.5 to 3 Tbsp gluten free oat flour. In a jar, shake shake shake.
Dougalling

Postby DenverGuy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 am

JeffN wrote:
DenverGuy wrote:I kind of got tired of almond milk as it is a little too thin. I did a search here and didn't find much. Overall, does anyone prefer soy milk over oat milk, or vice versa?

This is the current list of the ones we have at the program. They are the ones we found that are readily available and have the least harmful nutrition numbers (calories, fat, sugar, etc). There may be others out there that are either the same numbers or better and if you think you find one, please let us know.

We do not “recommend” the consumption of liquid calories. We recommend limiting their use, if used at all, to nothing more then a condiment (a splash on your cereal or in your tea or coffee).

In health
Jeff

Thanks. That's what I meant. I couldn't imaging drinking it by the glass.
DenverGuy

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:33 am

DenverGuy wrote:
Thanks. That's what I meant. I couldn't imaging drinking it by the glass.

Then there is no real perceivable "health benefit", and it is strictly "harm reduction."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby PJK » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:27 am

I do like Oatly brand low-fat oatmilk on my morning cereal.

It's not on the list Jeff linked to. But I like the taste, and I like the stats:

1 cup = 90 calories, only 9 of them (1 g.) from fat. That's 10% of total calories.

No trans or saturated fat at all. No oil (many rice and soy milks do have oil).

Sodium is slightly high at 100 mg. I believe that's just over Jeff's recommendation of a 1:1 calories-to-sodium ratio.

If you're curious:
https://us.oatly.com/collections/produc ... lk-chilled
PJK

Postby brec » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 am

JeffN wrote:This is the current list of the ones we have at the program. They are the ones we found that are readily available and have the least harmful nutrition numbers (calories, fat, sugar, etc). There may be others out there that are either the same numbers or better and if you think you find one, please let us know.

The soy milk on the list is Silk Unsweetened. The ingredients of Silk Organic Unsweet Soymilk are:
Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Organic Soybeans),Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2, Riboflavin [B2], Vitamin B12), Sea Salt, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid (To protect freshness), Natural Flavor.

I use Westbrae Naturals' WestSoy Organic Unsweetened Plain on my oatmeal. Its ingredients are:
Water, Soybeans.
It's available at Whole Foods and at Smiths (Kroger), among possibly other places.
Last edited by brec on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
brec

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 am

PJK wrote:I do like Oatly brand low-fat oatmilk on my morning cereal.

It's not on the list Jeff linked to. But I like the taste, and I like the stats:

1 cup = 90 calories, only 9 of them (1 g.) from fat. That's 10% of total calories.

No trans or saturated fat at all. No oil (many rice and soy milks do have oil).

Sodium is slightly high at 100 mg. I believe that's just over Jeff's recommendation of a 1:1 calories-to-sodium ratio.

If you're curious:
https://us.oatly.com/collections/produc ... lk-chilled

Thanks.

We have used Oatly at the program but they keep changing their recipe and now many of them have added oils. The one you linked to is the low fat one and may be the only one without oil.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am

Here is a prior conversation on the topic. Our position has been constant over the years

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44571

The main point here is that we do not recommend liquid calories. If you use them, keep them to a minimum and look for ones with the best numbers (calories, fat, sat fat, added sugars and salt.) Avoid ones made with or from coconut. We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)

Better than any store bought brand is to make your own (as described in the above thread). Here is the recipe I recommend for rice milk and one can use it for home made oat milk or any nut milk.

In my humble professional and personal opinion, since we use so little of them, why not just make one at home. My favorite is rice milk and can easily be made as follows

1 cup cooked brown rice
4 cups water
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Blend well and strain (if desired).

Many people (including forum members) use this recipe and some have a similar oat milk recipe that you can find (or ask for) in the recipe forum.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:47 pm

We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)

Ouch.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby DenverGuy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:06 am

Lyndzie wrote:
We are not asking for perfection because by using them, you have already fallen short :)

Ouch.

That's the only problem that I can see with this diet. It's too strict. I will deviate a little with stuff like this. I am meeting a friend at a Mexican restaurant today. I'll go for a veggie burrito. It will be wrapped in a flour tortilla. That's bad, I know, but it's a lot better than most of the other items on the menu.
Here I am worrying about oat vs. soy milk. Heck, most people eat sour cream, milk, cheese, etc., without a second thought and look at my silly concerns! My original post is kind of ridiculous, when you think about it.
I have no problem with sticking to the diet 90-95% of the time and getting commensurate results. That is STILL much better than if I hadn't. I like iced coffee, soy milk, and stevia. I like knocking back a few drinks once in a while. And I will do that.
It's almost impossible to go out to eat anymore due to the restrictions.
I'm trying to balance eating right and living.
DenverGuy

Postby JeffN » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:24 am

DenverGuy wrote:That's the only problem that I can see with this diet. It's too strict.

First, I would say that they problem is not the "diet" but the understanding of the recommendations and how they apply. Remember, most of the people that find their way to this "diet" are those who are seriously ill and/or have a very low quality of life due to their illness. Most, not all. Sometimes the responses may seem different because you are hearing from someone who may be in the midst of trying reverse serious heart disease and another response may come from someone who is just trying to be healthy and hopefully avoid any health issues. However, as you can read in these forums, even minor deviations have caused some to have serious reoccurrences or problems. Others come here from programs that were not as strict and were unable to find success for their serious health problems. They are looking for something more and what it takes to recover their health.

Second, the diet is only as strict as you want it to be. It is not all or none. The more you do, the more you benefit.

Lastly, you may want to check out Dr McDougall's recommendations on how strict you need to be based on your goals.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/nyr.htm

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby DenverGuy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 am

Those are good points, Jeff. I shouldn't have referred to it as a diet. My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.
DenverGuy

Next

Return to The Lounge