No legumes

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

No legumes

Postby TINEJENSEN » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:25 am

Hello

I have a question about the McDougall diet, and I hope you can help me as I can't find any references to this issue online.

I can't tolerate any kind of legumes (peas, hummus, beans or soy products). It's not a digestive issue, but my heart rate slows down to an extremely low level (29 beats/min) when I eat legumes. I get dizzy and feel that I don't get any blood/energy to my brain. Consequently, I avoid eating legumes!

My question is this: Is it possible to eat the McCougall way if I don't eat any legumes?
My worry is not the protein contents as I realize that we don't really need that much protein (>5%). Rather, I am concerned that legumes contain some vitamins and minerals that are otherwise difficult to find on a vegan diet. Especially if I also avoid eating nuts and seeds.

Can fruit, vegetables and grains alone provide all vitamins and minerals necessary (save B12 and vitamin D) or is this diet just not for me?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Tine
TINEJENSEN

Re: No legumes

Postby Daydream » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:01 am

Tine, yes you can eat the McDougall diet without having any legumes. Chef AJ is allergic to legumes so she never eats them and her doctors have assured her that she can be healthy without them.

Welcome to our forum!
Daydream

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:30 pm

TINEJENSEN wrote:Hello

I have a question about the McDougall diet, and I hope you can help me as I can't find any references to this issue online.

I can't tolerate any kind of legumes (peas, hummus, beans or soy products). It's not a digestive issue, but my heart rate slows down to an extremely low level (29 beats/min) when I eat legumes. I get dizzy and feel that I don't get any blood/energy to my brain. Consequently, I avoid eating legumes!

My question is this: Is it possible to eat the McCougall way if I don't eat any legumes?
My worry is not the protein contents as I realize that we don't really need that much protein (>5%). Rather, I am concerned that legumes contain some vitamins and minerals that are otherwise difficult to find on a vegan diet. Especially if I also avoid eating nuts and seeds.

Can fruit, vegetables and grains alone provide all vitamins and minerals necessary (save B12 and vitamin D) or is this diet just not for me?

Hope you can help.

Thanks.

Tine

I have never heard of anything like this. There must be some micronutrient in beans that causes this. Are legumes the only foods that cause this? What is your RHR with no legumes in your diet?
MostlyPlantEater

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:56 pm

I agree it's a very strange reaction, but to answer your question, you can definitely do this food plan without any legumes. Chef AJ is allergic to them and hasn't had a bean in over 10 years. Dr. McDougall restricts them to less than a cup a day, anyway. All plant foods contain protein so as long as you're taking in enough calories you'll be getting all the protein your body needs.
VeggieSue

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 am

I wish ppl who ask questions would return and follow-up. This is how we learn from each other. <smh>
MostlyPlantEater

Return to Health Issues