Hemoglobin A1C

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hemoglobin A1C

Postby Bkworm » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:22 pm

Had a visit with my PCP yesterday. She is not a happy camper as I don't automatically jump on the imaging tests, etc., she wants me to have. I am 72 and don't plan on undergoing any other preventative tests that they want all of us to continue. Watch all of Dr. McDougalls videos and read many other articles. Know that the requirements for "those of a certain age" are changing.I just noticed on the list of tests for blood work a Hemoglobin A1C. She has never had that test run for me and I have been going to her since about 1990. She asked about it yesterday and I commented that my blood sugar had always been 85 or below but she said that insulin level was different which, of course, I already knew. Just thought that if your blood sugar was ok, that meant that insulin was too.

Not real sure how a Hemogoblin A1C is conducted or what affects the results. Have been following a Mary's Mini for a month and have lost 6 pounds. Will eating all the potatoes affect the outcome of the blood work? Should I stop the Mary's Mini until after I have the blood drawn?

Have been eating lots of large salads with plenty of cruciferous vegetables like fresh spinach, kale, and arugula, carrots, cabbage, romaine lettuce, etc. Make my own dressings so low fat. Tonight I fixed a large stock pot of veggie soup. Base was onions and garlic, then three types of beans, added frozen mixed veggies, cauliflower and kale. Ate the soup over a potato.

I have a feeling there are most fights ahead as I am not playing nicely with the doctor.
Bkworm

Re: Hemoglobin A1C

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 am

Bkworm wrote:I just noticed on the list of tests for blood work a Hemoglobin A1C. She has never had that test run for me and I have been going to her since about 1990.

I've been getting that one done for decades. The first time was at my own request when I kept having low blood sugar spells, dropping into the 40's at times. No, I'm not diabetic so no glucose-lowering meds, either. The blood test just measures your average blood sugar over about a 3 month period. You don't have to fast for it, and you should just continue eating the way you currently are.

Dr McDougall comments on this lab test in this article:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/i ... ndustry-2/
Hemoglobin A1c (HgBA1c) is a long-term, laboratory-performed test used to estimate blood sugar levels over a previous two- to three-month period. Normal HgBA1c is considered less than 6% and levels can rise as high as 14%. [Link “Hemoglobin A1c” to: ] Most physicians consider—based on no meaningful scientific evidence—that the target level for treatment is between 7% and 8%.

Aggressive Treatment Kills

Disappointing for pharmaceutical companies, physicians, and the 14% of the US population with diabetes, are the findings that “aggressive treatment” results in more weight gain; higher cholesterol, triglycerides, and/or blood pressure; and more heart disease, stroke, and/or death compared to less treatment. Aggressive treatments are often defined by target goals for HgBA1c of 6% compared to standard care results of about 8%.

The article continues, so you should go over and read the whole thing.

I wouldn't sweat the test nor pay much attention to the results unless they're wildly off kilter. Then I would insist on a repeat before you go any further, especially if your fasting blood sugars are always within the normal range.
VeggieSue

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:36 pm

How high was your fasting insulin level?
MostlyPlantEater

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:38 pm

@VeggieSue, did you ever figure out what was causing your BG to drop so low? Is this still happening?
MostlyPlantEater

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:20 am

MostlyPlantEater wrote:@VeggieSue, did you ever figure out what was causing your BG to drop so low? Is this still happening?

2 different docs suspected it was hormonal, because as soon as I entered peri-menopause and required prednisone to balance things out my blood sugars stopped dropping. It's been about 15 years now and even if I don't eat for 16 hours when emergencies in life are happening I've been fine.
VeggieSue

Postby MostlyPlantEater » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:59 pm

Thanks Sue. You seem to be one of the only active members left. In hindsight, I wish they had never upgraded the forum and website. A lot of regulars left after that. I have discovered a few of them on facebook.

The old forum with all the star McDougaller's was the best. I used to visit daily to read and interact with others. I really miss that.

Glad you seem to still be doing really well, Sue. Is your hubby still doing ok? I hope you are having a relaxing, enjoyable weekend.
MostlyPlantEater

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:36 pm

MostlyPlantEater wrote: Sue. Is your hubby still doing ok?

His leukemia is still in remission so his chemo has been reduced in strength and duration. He's regaining his strength and some weight back. He still weighs less than Dr McDougall and, like him when he was this weight, wants to regain about 10 more pounds.

He's been discharged from OT and has 2 more PT sessions scheduled, but the therapist has been happy with his progress and has allowed him to take walks outside as tolerated, as long as someone is with him. He still needs the quad cane when outside of the house but usually carries it and rarely even leans on it now.

His kidneys are still a mystery. The renal doctors say he should have had restored function by now, and most of his labwork is great and within normal range, but a few things are still off kilter showing they're still not working right, so he continues on 3 x weekly dialysis. He's hoping there's a chance they cut that down to twice instead of 3 x weekly.

Slowly but surely things are improving. Thanks for asking.
VeggieSue

Postby Bkworm » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:57 pm

Veggie Sue, I am experiencing problems getting back in the forum. Have been working with Carol trying to get back in. Going to give it another try. Thank you so much for your advice and for taking the time to respond. My A1C was 5.6 which apparently is considered good. But do have low WBC and the doctor wants me to see a hematologist. I made an appointment with a hematologist but not certain if I will follow through. Have very mixed feelings about all of this.

Also that you to Mostly PlantEater for taking the time to respond. My glucose has been 91 the past three times I have had blood work conducted which is usually annually.
Bkworm

Return to Health Issues