Getting off pantoprazole

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting off pantoprazole

Postby debdeb54 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:17 pm

I have switched to eating the starch solution way. I have been taking pantoprazole for almost 8 years. I have recently started to experience what I suspect are side effects from this medication. In general, is it possible to get off this medication by adhering to this type of diet? I will be speaking to my gastroenterologist about this but I would like to know if it is possible. I expect there will be some pushback but I would be willing to give up whater foods I have to in order to get off this medication.
debdeb54

Re: Getting off pantoprazole

Postby pundit999 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:08 pm

Everybody is different and you have to see yourself if eating this way will allow you move away from this medication.
But I had acid reflex for several years before I started eating only whole plants .
I was on nexium for two years.
These medications are not without potential serious side effects . One is hardening of arteries and heart disease.
Follow the recommendations 100% for a few months . You may find that you don’t need this medication at the end.
pundit999

Postby DynoDan » Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:23 pm

debdeb54 wrote:I have switched to eating the starch solution way. I have been taking pantoprazole for almost 8 years. I have recently started to experience what I suspect are side effects from this medication. In general, is it possible to get off this medication by adhering to this type of diet? I will be speaking to my gastroenterologist about this but I would like to know if it is possible. I expect there will be some pushback but I would be willing to give up whater foods I have to in order to get off this medication.

If you are strict about truly following the diet, your reflux should soon disappear. Just remember, if you find that difficult, the eating style that leads to GERD often also leads to a life-threatening cardiovascular event, which if lucky enough to survive, you will certainly then find compliance simpler.
DynoDan

Postby MINNIE » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:57 pm

In my experience,adhering to this diet can completely eliminate GERD. It doesn't take long, or it didn't for me. I had severe GERD among other digestive problems when I came across one of Dr. McDougall's books. I immediately started eating this diet and was better within days - not even weeks! My life had been hell, and suddenly it was great :). I started in January 2013, and I have adhered to this WOE consistently ever since -that's how much I love it. I have never had a recurrence of GERD.

BUT I was not taking Proton Pump Inhibitors aka PPI's such as you were on. That made it easier. i was taking loads of antacids but was scared to take PPI's because I was afraid it would be too hard to stop.

So your situation is challenging because these drugs do have severe withdrawal effects.

There are many articles on this topic, from reputable sources. Here is one that you may find helpful.

https://www.citizen.org/wp-content/uplo ... n/1964.pdf

Originally this class of drug was designed for short term use -two weeks - to suppress acid while patients were recovering from ulcers. (The drug companies put this information in the package inserts, but apparently people don't read them - certainly no doctor I consulted knew about this.)

Now you can get them OTC everywhere, and doctors just hand them out with no real warning to the patients. They try to treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

But please do stay with the McDougall program - you will feel so much better!

It may take time to taper off the Pantaprozole but you can get there.

Best wishes!
MINNIE

Return to Health Issues