Poor appetite, health problems and overworked

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Poor appetite, health problems and overworked

Postby Nannax4kids! » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am

Hello, my name is Diana.
I was introduced to WFPB about 6-7 years ago by my endocrinologist. I found it, initially, very difficult to jump right in so I approached it slowly. I didn't like a lot of any type of meat at that time anyway so that was not a huge change for me. I did have difficulty with eggs and cheese; dairy I changed easily when I discovered which flavor and brand of plant-based I liked best.

Well, I was already dealing with several health problems which seemed may be helped with a change in my dietary habits. And it did work. I reduced my A1C as my diabetes seemed to respond to this way of eating. Then I developed an autoimmune condition called Autoimmune Hepatitis. This lead to the diagnosis of cirrhosis. WOW!! I was scared. I hunkered down and got more serious about my lifestyle and diet. I was also started on a medication for my diabetes (improved but still too high) called Ozempic. This really worked for my diabetes. The down side: I have no satisfaction with eating as I get full very quick and NOTHING provides me with that sense of umami and comfort. This has continued over my years of eating WFPB. But my diabetes is great and my hepatitis/cirrhosis is VERY controlled.

My husband does not eat the same; he's a meat and potatoes type of guy. He loves hamburgers and, although has tried them, refuses to eat plant based "fake meat" as he calls it. Our community/county has very little options for healthy eating. Lots of fast foods and pizza restaurants. Many will not accommodate your preferences/requests fully. My saving grace from a restaurant stand point was Ponderosa.

Well, 2020 hit and everything fell apart. No once a week trip to Ponderosa as it closed. I am going to sound a bit whinny when I say this: I am just too tired to cook when I get home from a 10 hour shift in a medical office, I usually have 1-2 hours of work after I get home and I work about 50 hours a week. I used to love cooking. I don't anymore. I used to love hosting dinner parties. I don't anymore.

I have a very terrible diet in that I, as stated above, eat very little at a setting (due to Ozempic), have no satisfaction with eating (which tears me up as this has been a strong part of my German Mother's way of our upbringing/heritage) and I am just too overwhelmed to really care any longer.

I have bought ready made freezer type meals from Veestro (terrible!!!), have recently purchased some products from The Good Butcher but I haven't tried them yet. I even tried to find a local person who would be interested in cooking dinners for me with WFPB guidelines and no one is interested. I just don't like lettuce; I don't like a lot of different flavors that are not familiar to me like Asian and Middle Eastern type foods. I love a local restaurant's tofu with vegetable rice but they do not offer this not cooked with oil.

Am I the only one with these problems? I exist on oatmeal, crackers, fresh fruit, iced decaf coffee, soy milk and occasional pasta. Dull!!!

I would LOVE any feedback. I would LOVE to know if anyone else is on a medication like Ozempic that faces the same problems. Thank you for all your time and responses.
Nannax4kids!

Re: Poor appetite, health problems and overworked

Postby Daydream » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi Diana! I'm sorry the Ozempic medication has interfered with your enjoyment of the food you eat. Since nothing provides you with that sense of umami and comfort, I would just eat the McDougall approved food that you like the most.

My husband and I don't go to restaurants because we don't like the choices they have there and we want to stay committed to the McDougall diet. If I had to go to a restaurant for an event with relatives, I would eat before I went and then order a plain baked potato (from a steak house) or plain white rice (at an Asian restaurant) or a plain salad. I would focus on enjoying my time visiting with relatives.

I have always done all of the marketing and all of the cooking for my family and I HATE cooking but I cook anyway out of love for my family. Since I hate cooking, I keep it simple. I do food prep on Saturday for the week ahead (so I'm only cooking one day a week). I like having leftovers to heat up during the week. I typically cook 2 pounds of some type of dried legume in my Instant Pot; I'll cook some type of whole grain in my Instant Pot. I'll bake 2 big trays of sweet potatoes and make a big pot of soup. Check out Jeff's easy SNAP recipes! I buy fresh veggies for salad (romaine, carrots, red pepper, cucumber, celery). I often heat up frozen veggies in the microwave (easy and quick!). I buy fresh fruit and frozen blueberries. Like you, my husband eats a lot of oatmeal and sometimes he'll have pasta. Our meals are simple but I love what we eat.

Concerning buying food and cooking for your husband, please read my post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=61907&p=627525#p627525
Daydream

Re: Poor appetite, health problems and overworked

Postby michaelswarm » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Get a second opinion about the medication, preferably from a qualified lifestyle medicine practitioner.
I suspect you can reverse your diabetes without medication, with time and adherence to the plan here.

Dr McDougall Common Health Problems: Diabetes
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/co ... -juvenile/

Make your health the most important thing in your life. Take the time to prepare meals. Stop watching TV, reading magazines, or anything else, until you have your self care habits working.

Make bigger sizes of staple foods, especially on weekends, but also throughout the week. Pot of rice, pot of porridge, pot of potatoes, pot of beans, loaf of bread, pot of pasta sauce, etc. Freeze or refrigerate extra. Ready food is fast food. Cooking doesn’t have to be complex.
michaelswarm

Return to Health Issues