Metabolism / Hypothyroidism

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Metabolism / Hypothyroidism

Postby unlimited » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 am

Hi all
I'm so confused about metabolism damage or adaption. I'm a 51-year-old female with a history of yo-yo dieting - calorie counting around 1100 - 1200 a day for years-to maintain my weight... I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism around 8 years ago after unexplainably gaining weight and lacking in energy. Im on Levothyroxine.

Im good with eating plantbased wholefoods no oil 50/50 plate of starch/ no starchy veges, but my weight loss has been slow 1 lb in 4 weeks. I was having around 1 cup of soymilk daily, which Ive decided is about all I can eliminate from my diet that is not 100% wholefood. And I could increase my exercise.

My question is with my past history and hypothyroidism have I adapted my metabolism to be so slow that I need to eat less than most? i.e I will have to avoid all soy & eat small portions forever to not only lose slowly but maintain if I ever get down?
And if I have to be so restricted how can I be sure I’m getting the nutrients I need?

As I said I’m really confused about the whole damaged /versus adaptive metabolism thing.

Thanks
unlimited

Re: Metabolism / Hypothyroidism

Postby JeffN » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:38 am

The medicine will address your hypothyroidism.

In regard to a broken metabolism, it’s a myth

The Starvation Mode, Slowed Metabolism & The Set Point Theory
viewtopic.php?t=11464

viewtopic.php?t=8824

viewtopic.php?t=7419

viewtopic.php?t=17541

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9808

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Metabolism / Hypothyroidism

Postby unlimited » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 am

Thank you Jeff, its taken me alittle while to get through that info - much appreicated as I have a much greater understanding.

One other thing, Ive noticed on myself and alot on my 23 yr old daughter who has lost her weight eating this way that we both are getting darker almost black on the sides of our bridge of nose - the side of nose closest to tear duct corner and under the eye in the corners. Any idea what that could be from?

thanks again
unlimited

Return to Health Issues