Daughters pcos

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Daughters pcos

Postby nfsus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 am

I'm a starch eater. Hcvlf type. It's worked out well for the most part. I'm satisfied with it anyway. My daughter has pcos. Insulin over 1000. A1c still below 6. Standard treatment of birth control and metformin. She eats the sad. And is overweight. All that good normal stuff.

Does anyone have any experiences with starch diets and pcos or links to studies they could share? I've found limited ones. Thanks
nfsus

Re: Daughters pcos

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:52 am

Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Daughters pcos

Postby ceci » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 am

What a coincidence!
My older daughter has pcos. Though, she is a skinny pcos. She is 38 now and, after many years trying, is now pregnant.

I can only tell you what we did, i.e. muddling through it, because there is very little information in regard to diet, especially for plant-based eating, and we found that many dieticians don't quite know how to go about it either. There are a number of books available these days, but many recipes contain meat.

Edit:
Also, we had an additional 'problem', which may have led to a reduced high carb diet. My daughter has also exercised induced anaphylaxis with the trigger being wheat. We therefore had to exclude unhealthy carbs, unless they were gluten-free, and this included store-bought cakes, packaged snacks, such as muesli bars, cookies, etc. all loaded with sugar and fat. We just didn't buy this stuff and, maybe, she just got used to it, or is 'lucky' that she does not have the typical pcos issue of weight problems. She is eating plant-based carbs at most main meals. She has been on a mainly plant-based diet for a long time. Though, she is still including some dairy and is using oil. I can't convince her to eliminate this. No flesh products though. Currently, she is being told to increase here protein intake, which is all plant-based.

I have to admit, until my daughter was diagnosed with pcos I didn't even know what pcos was and how complex issues can become.

Thank you for the link to the book, which I now ordered, as hyperthyroidism is mentioned too.
ceci

Return to Health Issues