Period!!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Period!!

Postby Mrsd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi! I have been vegan for one year, and started this diet just over 1 month ago... Well I've lost a lot of weight, 1 stone... But my period has disappeared too, I'm never late and never miss it... I've done pregnancy tests and all are negative, I'm really worried now. Anyone have any suggestions??
Mrsd

Re: Period!!

Postby PJK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 am

To answer your question, we need more context. Just knowing that you lost 1 stone (14 lb.) in a month isn't enough.

So please provide a bit more info:

What is your height?

What was your weight a month ago? And what is it now?

And your age?

Thanks.
PJK

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:10 am

Mrsd wrote:Hi! I have been vegan for one year, and started this diet just over 1 month ago... Well I've lost a lot of weight, 1 stone... But my period has disappeared too, I'm never late and never miss it... I've done pregnancy tests and all are negative, I'm really worried now. Anyone have any suggestions??

As PJK said, we need way more info. Besides what was already asked for, please provide:

What exactly are you eating?
Are you doing any kind of portion control or calorie restriction?
Are you hungry or satisfied in general?
How is your energy?
How are you sleeping?

Thank you,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Mrsd » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:45 am

Hi, I'm 29, 5ft 8 and now I'm 12st 8... So not under weight... I'm eating porridge or weetabix for breakfast with a banana... Lunch is usually potato hash and veg or rice and veg... Dinners curry's, mash, rice, potatoes, all with salad or veg... Full plates, always full after and not hungry until next meal... I'm sleeping well, staying up later than before but that's good imo... Energy is good, I do yoga throughout the day... So really don't know what's happening...
Mrsd

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:29 am

I always had very regular cycles and then randomly was totally off one month. I was frantic with worry. Turns out that stress can really affect it. If you have negative pregnancy tests, and nothing else seems amiss, it might just be a fluke.

Your food choices look very sound. And delicious!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Welcome to the Discussion Board, Mrsd!

I agree with Lyndzie; stress can throw things off. Not only have we all been going through this pandemic, but changing your way of eating (WOE) from vegan to McDougall is different on your body, and though extremely healthy, could be considered a stressor, though an excellent one.

Also, whenever I went from lacto-ovo or vegan to McDougall, I noticed a drastic change in amount of flow. Now it is quite minimal. If you didn't have much to begin with, maybe you'll only have a spot or two?

Try not to stress and time will tell. If needed, you can always seek medical advice, if needed.

Also agree with Lyndzie that your foods sound yummy! :)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Period!!

Postby hkaur » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi there
I am facing a similar problem. I've been a vegan for 17 months and started eating this way in 2021. I have lost about 3 kgs till now and weigh 60 kgs (my height is 5'4"). I would say I am energised, I go on walks daily and eat till I am full- usually oatmeal and fruits for breakfast, rice and beans and some veggies for lunch and dinner, snack on some fruit or leftovers or potato cutlets, no nuts or oils. My sleep is also good. I haven't gotten my period in almost 80 days now and I'm very worried. Got checked for PCOD and it was normal. Could it be because of this way of eating with no fats in my diet?
hkaur

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm

hkaur wrote:Hi there
I am facing a similar problem. I've been a vegan for 17 months and started eating this way in 2021. I have lost about 3 kgs till now and weigh 60 kgs (my height is 5'4"). I would say I am energised, I go on walks daily and eat till I am full- usually oatmeal and fruits for breakfast, rice and beans and some veggies for lunch and dinner, snack on some fruit or leftovers or potato cutlets, no nuts or oils. My sleep is also good. I haven't gotten my period in almost 80 days now and I'm very worried. Got checked for PCOD and it was normal. Could it be because of this way of eating with no fats in my diet?

No. Your period is not dependent on fat. I’m not sure what to suggest, but rest assured that removing fatty food is not the culprit. I’m guessing you’ve ruled out pregnancy. You are a very healthy weight for your height. Well done!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues