Blood sugar readings

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood sugar readings

Postby Nugget2017 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:08 am

I convinced my sister age 57 over weight type 2 diabetes to try this whole plant food based diet. In 2 weeks she had lost 11 pounds and is thrilled with that but her blood sugars are in the 140-160 range 3 hours after her dinner and first thing in the morning. Is she expecting it to lower too soon? Is it safe to continue with these readings. She told her doc she was going plant based and her doc was pleased and took her off a leering blood sugar drug that day. She eats potatoes, Ezekiel bread rice and whole grain pasta. As well as greens with every meal like broccoli spinach and kale. Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit and no sugar added almond milk. Lots of beans and lentils. She loves eating this way but it scared the higher carb starchy veggies might be bad for her even tho her weight is dropping. Any advice? We are new to this. Thanks. I don’t have diabetes but am doing it for weight loss and general health. 5 weeks for me down 14 pounds.
Nugget2017

Re: Blood sugar readings

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:26 am

Welcome Nugget (and sister)! Here is some information that you may find helpful: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60044&p=604762&hilit=Monitor+blood+sugar#p604762

Also, this is a good thread. Read through to the 9 month update towards the end.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59321#p597377
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby openmind » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 am

Nugget2017 wrote:I convinced my sister age 57 over weight type 2 diabetes to try this whole plant food based diet. In 2 weeks she had lost 11 pounds and is thrilled with that but her blood sugars are in the 140-160 range 3 hours after her dinner and first thing in the morning. Is she expecting it to lower too soon? Is it safe to continue with these readings. She told her doc she was going plant based and her doc was pleased and took her off a leering blood sugar drug that day. She eats potatoes, Ezekiel bread rice and whole grain pasta. As well as greens with every meal like broccoli spinach and kale. Oatmeal for breakfast with fruit and no sugar added almond milk. Lots of beans and lentils. She loves eating this way but it scared the higher carb starchy veggies might be bad for her even tho her weight is dropping. Any advice? We are new to this. Thanks. I don’t have diabetes but am doing it for weight loss and general health. 5 weeks for me down 14 pounds.

I would say those are pretty darn good blood sugar readings. Dr. McDougall only recommends testing once in the morning. Becoming obsessed with moment to moment blood sugars probably doesn't seem to provide any real health value and holds the patient's personal happiness hostage to a number that probably isn't all that accurate.
openmind

Postby Mark Simmons » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:13 pm

As insulin sensitivy increases by eating complex carbohydrates (starches), the blood sugar will go down. Dr, McDougall usually takes people off their diabetic meds and insulin when they start his program if they are type 2 diabetics. Dr. McDougall recommends that type 2 diabetics who are not on insulin do not need to check their blood sugar.
Mark Simmons

Postby LuckyMomma » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 pm

Rigorous exercise helps.
LuckyMomma

Return to Health Issues