Too thin

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Too thin

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:34 am

Hi - Long story but I’ve been WFPBNO off and on for awhile - lost and gained - over a few years I’ve lost a total of 85 lbs - the last 2 years I’ve been WFPBNO - it has solved my high cholesterol and as long as I’m compliant my blood pressure stays normal - soon as I go off it bounces right back up which is scary - the last few weeks people who see me ask me if I’m ok etc afraid I may be ill - which terrifies me as I’ve lost my mom, brother both grandmother to cancer and my dad is battling this - I also lost my son last year so I tend to panic easily - anyway - I’ve started eating a lot more and I’m trying to gain - the scale is not budging -I’m eating more avocado and nuts and nut butters - I had all my blood work done last February and it was fine - do you have any recommendations - I’m tired of people asking if I’m ok - it just upsets and panics me thank you Michelle
mrfpratt

Re: Too thin

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Michelle. You don’t mention your size, but my guess is that when people are used to seeing you much larger, they can sometimes say the wrong thing when trying to acknowledge the change. Instead of complementing you on your hard work, or great health, they see what they have been struggling with and imagine the only way a person can be a healthy weight is by unhealthy means.

Are you happy when you look in the mirror?

Also, I am so sorry for you losses.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Lyndzie
I weigh 132 and I’m 5’ 6” and I’m 58- the comments are pretty much daily - this morning a friend who I see every few weeks said I was getting to thin and she’s quite thin herself and totally gets and supports my food choices and why I eat the way I do -

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Michelle. You don’t mention your size, but my guess is that when people are used to seeing you much larger, they can sometimes say the wrong thing when trying to acknowledge the change. Instead of complementing you on your hard work, or great health, they see what they have been struggling with and imagine the only way a person can be a healthy weight is by unhealthy means.

Are you happy when you look in the mirror?

Also, I am so sorry for you losses.
mrfpratt

Postby sirdle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 pm

mrfpratt wrote:I weigh 132 and I’m 5’ 6” and I’m 58

BMI = 21.3 ... sounds like a healthy BMI to me. 8)
Lyndzie wrote:Are you happy when you look in the mirror?

A very important question! What do you think, Michele?

If you are happy with what you see, then you might want to take a look at Doug Lisle's lecture Getting Along without Going Along.

If you are not happy, I'd look at adding more grains and legumes. Specifically adding fat just so you can gain weight will help you gain weight (that is to say, fat)... but you still might not be happy with your looks. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you - I will add more legumes and grains to my diet - I do think I’m a bit to thin and if I could get on 5 pounds I think it would be a better weight for me - I look and feel tired - I’m also going to look into a therapist as my panicking every time someone worriedly looks at me isn’t helping matters - I’ve gone through too much loss and it’s catching up with me

sirdle wrote:
mrfpratt wrote:I weigh 132 and I’m 5’ 6” and I’m 58

BMI = 21.3 ... sounds like a healthy BMI to me. 8)
Lyndzie wrote:Are you happy when you look in the mirror?

A very important question! What do you think, Michele?

If you are happy with what you see, then you might want to take a look at Doug Lisle's lecture Getting Along without Going Along.

If you are not happy, I'd look at adding more grains and legumes. Specifically adding fat just so you can gain weight will help you gain weight (that is to say, fat)... but you still might not be happy with your looks. ;-)

Cheers, :-P
mrfpratt

Postby LuckyMomma » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:32 pm

A strong looking person doesn’t look ill.

Maybe resistance training can help you look more robust.
LuckyMomma

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 pm

LuckyMomma wrote:A strong looking person doesn’t look ill.

Maybe resistance training can help you look more robust.

I figure skate - do Pure Barre - play tennis - I am strong -
mrfpratt

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:55 pm

Maybe it’s not that you are too thin. Maybe it’s that you are dealing with loss and grief. You’ve been through a lot. Life has it’s hard times, for sure. Do your best to take care of yourself through all this. And maybe enjoy a slice or two of avocado toast. Hugs.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby RussT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:48 am

I've noticed that obesity has become the norm. This may be part of the reason why people make those comments to you.
RussT

Postby mrfpratt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:03 am

Thank you for your support Lyndzie - I’m going to start making sure I found time to relax and take care of myself ❤️
Thank you for your support ❤️
Lyndzie wrote:Maybe it’s not that you are too thin. Maybe it’s that you are dealing with loss and grief. You’ve been through a lot. Life has it’s hard times, for sure. Do your best to take care of yourself through all this. And maybe enjoy a slice or two of avocado toast. Hugs.
mrfpratt

Postby European man » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 pm

I've been WFPBNO for four months and I've lost 24 pounds even though I wasn't overweight to start with. I'm getting comments/'jokes' about my being so thin now. In the last few weeks I've been trying to put some weight back without success. This is despite stuffing myself with as much starchy food as possible. I'm beginning to think that unless I resort to allowing myself foods with oil I'm not going to be able to put weight back on using the diet. I don't like the way my face looks now with sunken cheeks.

It's beyond me how some people say they've gained weight with the diet.
European man

Postby mrfpratt » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:10 pm

I don’t understand either how people complain they gain or can’t lose wait this way either - I started eating a lot more - till I’m really full with way more grains starch and legumes in hopes of gaining - I also cut back a bit on my physical activities so I’m not burning as many calories - good luck to you
European man wrote:I've been WFPBNO for four months and I've lost 24 pounds even though I wasn't overweight to start with. I'm getting comments/'jokes' about my being so thin now. In the last few weeks I've been trying to put some weight back without success. This is despite stuffing myself with as much starchy food as possible. I'm beginning to think that unless I resort to allowing myself foods with oil I'm not going to be able to put weight back on using the diet. I don't like the way my face looks now with sunken cheeks.

mrfpratt

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:21 pm

European man wrote:I've been WFPBNO for four months and I've lost 24 pounds even though I wasn't overweight to start with. I'm getting comments/'jokes' about my being so thin now. In the last few weeks I've been trying to put some weight back without success. This is despite stuffing myself with as much starchy food as possible. I'm beginning to think that unless I resort to allowing myself foods with oil I'm not going to be able to put weight back on using the diet. I don't like the way my face looks now with sunken cheeks.

European man,

Count yourself healthy and lucky! Ignore what other people say as the average Western country citizen is overweight. Also, be extremely grateful that you have amazing digestion and understand that there are people on the other side of the spectrum (even in this camp) that have terrible digestion and are afflicted with severe symptoms and diseases from gut issues, which often leads to unnecessary but easy weight gain.

Lastly and most importantly, listen to your body. How do you feel? Do you have any symptoms or are you just trying to put on weight because of others' opinions? If so, stop forcing yourself to eat and gain weight. Instead, eat when hungry, stop when full following the food guidelines of the program. Else, forcing yourself to gain weight could actually cause health problems.

Congrats to you! I'm extremely envious :-D
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 pm

mrfpratt wrote:It's beyond me how some people say they've gained weight with the diet.

It's really a matter of perspective. I'm happy for you, European Man and others who have no digestion issues. When that is the case and you follow the McDougall Program, you will have amazing health. I use to be that way so I know that feeling. Unfortunately, my digestion did get destroyed by other factors. Many other people are in the exact same boat. It's horrible to be afflicted with terrible physical and mental pain and for things to not work as they should, not because of the program but because of dysbiosis. I hope to get back there one day and will always strive for that.
Ltldogg

Postby mrfpratt » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:28 pm

I’m so sorry for your health struggle and hope you are restored to full health soon yes
Ltldogg wrote:
mrfpratt wrote:It's beyond me how some people say they've gained weight with the diet.

It's really a matter of perspective. I'm happy for you, European Man and others who have no digestion issues. When that is the case and you follow the McDougall Program, you will have amazing health. I use to be that way so I know that feeling. Unfortunately, my digestion did get destroyed by other factors. Many other people are in the exact same boat. It's horrible to be afflicted with terrible physical and mental pain and for things to not work as they should, not because of the program but because of dysbiosis. I hope to get back there one day and will always strive for that.
mrfpratt

Next

Return to Health Issues