Leg cramps at night

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Leg cramps at night

Postby Nelle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:01 am

I've been on the potato cleanse for 3 days and for 2 nights in a row I've been woken up with terrible cramps in my left calf. To be clear, I have eaten nothing but potato. I have autoimmune thyroiditis and have had surgery to remove my gallbladder and a partial pancreatectomy. The cronomter app tells me my macros such as magnesium, potassium and zinc are over 100%. I have been following the regular starch solution but wanted to lose more weight as I hurt my right knee doing HIIT (tabata) and can't really exercise.

Any clues? Thanks so much.
Nelle

Re: Leg cramps at night

Postby SilverDollar123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 am

Welcome Nelle,glad you are here. There are several discussions on this subject..So you are not alone. I find being even
a little dehydrated can bring on the painful cramping. Try upping the water intake,& less coffee,& or sodas.
Keep us informed on how you are doing. RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Nelle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 am

SilverDollar123 wrote:Welcome Nelle,glad you are here. There are several discussions on this subject..So you are not alone. I find being even
a little dehydrated can bring on the painful cramping. Try upping the water intake,& less coffee,& or sodas.
Keep us informed on how you are doing. RAS

hey Silver Dollar, thanks so much for the welcome! I drink a lot of water, A LOT, like 2.5 liters a day (no coffee), I always have. Today I had oatmeal for breakfast, boiled potatoes for lunch and will have oven baked "fries" with some kidney beans and peas. I put the tiniest smidge of salt on my potatoes today in case all my fluid intake is causing some imbalance. Glad to know I am not alone!
Nelle

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Nelle. I used the search bar at the top right opf the screen and put in “leg cramps.” Quite a few posts came up, including this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58719&p=590881&hilit=Leg+cramps#p590866
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Nelle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Nelle. I used the search bar at the top right opf the screen and put in “leg cramps.” Quite a few posts came up, including this one: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58719&p=590881&hilit=Leg+cramps#p590866

Hi Lyndzie, nice to meet you! The only thing that comes up on that search anywhere applicable to me is low calcium. Eating all potatoes is exactly that but I didnt expect it to kick in so soon. It's the charley horse kind of cramps. I have resorted back to the Starch Solution with adding a few fruits, veggies and beans for the next few days, see how I go!
Nelle

Postby Wonderbugg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Magnesium for leg cramps.
Epsom salt baths (generous amts) helps up your magnesium.
Look up higher magnesium plant foods.
I've experienced this when I lose weight too fast.
Wonderbugg

Postby calvin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 pm

I had occasional leg aches at night as a kid. Mom called them "growing pains". :roll:
calvin

Return to Health Issues