Osteoporosis~Forget about the drugs already!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Osteoporosis~Forget about the drugs already!

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:47 am

Osteoporosis: the emperor has no clothes
Abstract
Current prevention strategies for low-trauma fractures amongst older persons depend on the notions that fractures are mainly caused by osteoporosis (pathophysiology), that patients at high risk can be identified (screening) and that the risk is amenable to bone-targeted pharmacotherapy (treatment). However, all these three notions can be disputed.

Pathophysiology
Most fracture patients have fallen, but actually do not have osteoporosis. A high likelihood of falling, in turn, is attributable to an ageing-related decline in physical functioning and general frailty.

Screening
Currently available fracture risk prediction strategies including bone densitometry and multifactorial prediction tools are unable to identify a large proportion of patients who will sustain a fracture, whereas many of those with a high fracture risk score will not sustain a fracture.

Treatment
The evidence for the viability of bone-targeted pharmacotherapy in preventing hip fracture and other clinical fragility fractures is mainly limited to women aged 65–80 years with osteoporosis, whereas the proof of hip fracture-preventing efficacy in women over 80 years of age and in men at all ages is meagre or absent. Further, the antihip fracture efficacy shown in clinical trials is absent in real-life studies. Many drugs for the treatment of osteoporosis have also been associated with increased risks of serious adverse events. There are also considerable uncertainties related to the efficacy of drug therapy in preventing clinical vertebral fractures, whereas the efficacy for preventing other fractures (relative risk reductions of 20–25%) remains moderate, particularly in terms of the low absolute risk reduction in fractures with this treatment.
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Osteoporosis~Forget about the drugs already!

Postby f00die » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:53 pm

yer clearly behind the times geoff!
the study (published today): https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1808082
the article: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... derly-wome
And while National Osteoporosis Foundation guidelines recommend drug treatment for women at risk for fractures, the American College of Physicians' guidelines say current evidence of the benefit of drugs for osteopenia is "limited."

In the new study, Reid and his colleagues gave women with osteopenia 15-minute infusions of zoledronate or a placebo once every 18 months.

After six years, the women who got zoledronate were about 30 percent less likely to have experienced any fracture and about 50 percent less likely to have experienced a fracture of their spine, the researchers reported.

"I think we've provided an important plank of evidence that can guide our clinical practice going forward," Reid says.

Michael Econs, a professor of medicine at Indiana School of Medicine who serves as the president of the ASBMR, agrees.

"What this paper does is make us think a little more about treating people who we might not have treated before or we thought might be on the line," Econs says. "We are overly worried about exceedingly rare side effects and underworried about common things like fracture. You have to start looking at where the big picture is."

There were no indications of any serious side effects. In fact, the women who got the drug appeared to be less likely to die overall than women who received the placebo, though that finding was not statistically significant. There were, however, statistically significant decreases in heart attacks and cancers among the women getting the drug.

"That's something we don't have clear explanation for," Reid says.

Although the study involved only women, Reid says the drugs may also benefit men.

It's unclear whether other bisphosphonates would be equally beneficial, though they may, Reid says.

and finally: what is osteopenia?
https://www.npr.org/2009/12/21/12160981 ... escription
The meeting took place in Rome, in a small hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps. There in 1992, a group of osteoporosis experts gathered under the auspices of the World Health Organization. The meeting had been organized because professional opinion about how to diagnose and measure osteoporosis was all over the map. Doctors and researchers didn't even have a shared view of how osteoporosis should be defined.

For a long time doctors and researchers were only able to diagnose osteoporosis after a woman experienced a bone fracture. But by the early '90s technology had evolved, and bone scanners made it possible to determine whether the bones were weak before any fractures occurred.

The question before the experts in Rome then was this: Since after the age of 30 all bones lose density, how much bone loss was normal? And, how much put women at risk and therefore should be considered a disease?

Anna Tosteson is a professor of medicine at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice and Dartmouth Medical School who attended the meeting. She says that over a two- or three-day period the experts in the room went back and forth and back and forth, looking at research and trying to decide precisely where on a graph of diminishing bone density to draw a line.

"Ultimately it was just a matter of, 'Well ... it has to be drawn somewhere,' " Tosteson says. "And as I recall, it was very hot in the meeting room, and people were in shirt sleeves and, you know, it was time to kind of move on, if you will. And, I can't quite frankly remember who it was who stood up and drew the picture and said, 'Well, let's just do this.' "

So there in the hotel room someone literally stood up, drew a line through a graph depicting diminishing bone density and decreed: Every woman on one side of this line has a disease.

Then a new question arose: How do you categorize the women who are just on the other side of that line?

To address this issue, Tosteson says, the experts — more or less off the cuff — decided to use the term osteopenia. Tosteson says they created the category mostly because they thought it might be useful for public health researchers who like clear categories for their studies. They never imagined, she says, that people would come to think of osteopenia as a disease in itself to be treated. The chairman of the meeting, John Kanis, of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, says the same thing.

Nevertheless, 17 years later Banghauser, of Richmond, Va., a woman whose bone density is just a hair away from that of the average healthy 30-year old, is not only medicated for osteopenia but literally spends her days worried about breaking a bone.

"I used to run marathons, and I would fall and trip on broken sidewalks," she told me. "And you know initially before I had this diagnosis I didn't think anything of it. But now every time I fall I get up and think, 'Oh, good, I haven't broken anything.' "

"I'm much more aware of making sure I lift my feet up and I don't trip on the sidewalks, but you know, if I didn't know that I had osteopenia, maybe I wouldn't be so cautious."

So how did osteopenia change from a category for public health researchers into a condition that millions of women swallow pills to treat?

fantastic
talk about something that decreases quality of life
f00die

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm not convinced. I had a DEXA about 15 years ago w/ a Z-score of -3.6 that earned a red letters all caps across top of report "SEVERE OSTEOPOROSIS. CONSULT WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY" Since then I have crashed bicycle, pinned foot under a porch when falling forward while running hard enough I felt my tibia bend and snap back straight when foot released, dropped a 30 or 40 pound boulder on my bare foot on a concrete floor from a couple feet above...zero bone damage though I did lose a bit of meat on the edge of the porch. My father had severe osteoporosis and fell dozens of times during last years of his life including many full body slams on concrete, one in his apt when he slammed his head against edge of dresser on the way down, etc. Zero evidence of any bone damage. And I have seen, up close and personal, someone with osteonecrosis of the mandible (dead and rotting facial bone) who was scheduled for surgery next day to try to stop its progression. There are two separate issues here, bone density and bone quality. On balance, I think I will take my chances w/ an anti-inflammatory, very moderate protein, nutrient dense McDougall diet and weight bearing exercise.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Atheria » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I haven't been scanned since April 2015, but back then, with a daily aggressive yoga routine...I had started to regain bone density in my osteopenia area (femoral area/hip) and osteoporosis diagnosed lower back a year earlier. No drugs needed. The MD who had tried to force me onto evil Fosamax was shocked I succeeded in the challenge I took up to heal myself.

In the summer of 2017 I fell really hard on my right hand while washing my car at one of those timed (you have to rush) car washes. I really thought I'd broken my wrist, at least. But, X-Rays showed no fractures. Even the MD was surprised because he'd thought I'd broken SOMETHING. I am sure that my daily yoga is the reason I didn't break my hand, wrist, or forearm when all my weight landed on my right arm on concrete.

Yoga rules!
Atheria :-)
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

Atheria wrote:In the summer of 2017 I fell really hard on my right hand while washing my car at one of those timed (you have to rush) car washes. I really thought I'd broken my wrist, at least.

I forgot in my post above to mention my latest stress tests.

Couple months ago, crashed my bike due to foot getting "stuck to peddle" when I really needed for it to go on the ground. Pancake landing so that the inner bump of my elbow (medial epicondyle for you med techie types) was against my ribs and most of my weight hit there. Knocked the wind out of me, stunned me, hurt a LOT even to breathe for a few days, but clearly nothing broken since recovery was very rapid.

Hard to describe how I got there but couple weeks ago, with 55 lb kettlebell resting on my palm, drove elbow straight down onto floor with forearm vertical. Thought I'd broken something for sure. There was enough pain I even took a left over Vicodin from my hernia surgery. But again, healing at rate far too rapid for anything to be broken w/ full ROM from the start except for when the swelling was maximum (couple days).

Bone density and bone strength just don't seem to be that closely correlated.

"Eat two carrots and call me in the morning."
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Health Issues