How to control blood sugar while on prednisone

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to control blood sugar while on prednisone

Postby CrohnsKiller » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:41 pm

How do I not let my blood sugar get out of control while on prednisone while eating this way? I’ve been eating this way for a little over a month to try and help my inflammatory arthritis from Crohn’s. The last two weeks I tried an elimination diet, and while on that my iritis flared. So I did a 3 day water fast which while I was on it my iritis got worse and the after I finished it my arthritis really flared and now I need to take prednisone to hopefully regain some mobility in my knee and hopefully calm this flare.

I’m starting off on a very high dose, 80 mg. Before this way of eating I used to try and keep carbs fairly low to keep my blood sugar in check. How do I keep it in church with this way of eating?

Also do you think that since my inflammation got worse while fasting that my Crohn’s my. It be helped by diet? I’m getting pretty discouraged.
CrohnsKiller

Re: How to control blood sugar while on prednisone

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi. Sorry you are suffering. Here is a link to a success story I recently viewed. Encouraging!
Sondra Berk. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ndra-berk/
Steve

Re: How to control blood sugar while on prednisone

Postby CrohnsKiller » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the link. She really got her life back from the diet.

I'm kind of in a different place with my Crohn's right now, because the gut symptoms are actually kept in check right now with medication, but the extra-intestinal symptoms, currently iritis and arthritis are flaring. I need to get those under control. I was hoping diet would do it before having to resort back to prednisone, but it just flared too horribly.

I'm hoping somebody can give me advice on how they dealt with eating this way while on prednisone. I know it raises your blood sugar, my fasting blood sugar was 136 this morning, which isn't horrible but not good. I'm worried as to what it will be after I eat starches. When I've been on prednisone in the pat I would try and eat less carbs, but I did eat them with fat, which I guess interferes with your body's processing of sugar, and I'm wondering if I just keep it low fat if it may not be as bad.

Does anyone have any advice? I know there have been many people who've used prednisone for their autoimmune diseases, so I'm hoping someone can help.
CrohnsKiller

Return to Health Issues