Ketogenic diet and Tourette's Syndrome

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ketogenic diet and Tourette's Syndrome

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Let me first say that I am asking this only in relation to very specific medical conditions. I am NOT an advocate of ketogenic diets, vegan or not, nor of Atkins, modified Atkins, paleo, etc. I am a whole-hearted supporter of the McDougall principles and have been for a very long time. Both my children were raised dairy-free; I had to compromise on the meat part to get cooperation from dh and the in-laws on the dairy. I am not trying to discredit McDougall or the other wonderful doctors, researchers and practitioners like Campbell, Novick, Goldhamer, Esselstyn, Ornish, etc. In the following paragraphs, I am referring to a very particular small subgroup of people with an actual neurological disorder.

OK, now to my situation. My daughter has Tourette's Syndrome (TS). She was diagnosed at 7 and her tics got bad enough at 12 that we reluctantly put her on medication. She's now almost 16 and has been off the medication for about 8 months; we're watching her ticcing level, which is fluctuating wildly.

I am involved with the TS support group here in New Zealand and occasionally pop into other TS communities around the world. There is no cure for TS and the various medications work to some degree for some/most people - but there's usually a huge side effect trade-off to make and there's no medication specifically for TS. As would be expected for conditions like this, where you can helplessly watch your child literally punch or kick or contort themselves bloody and broken, people are willing to try just about anything. Aside from CBIT (a behavioural therapy approach), supplementation routes include at the most mainstream end magnesium, B6, zinc, and melatonin and go down from there. Many of the alternative therapies that people try in desperation come from epilepsy treatments... which leads me, finally, to extending the keto diet for epilepsy into the management of Tourette's.

A number of people in my TS support group are keenly interested in trying the keto diet to manage their kids' severest symptoms. Some parents already report that they "know" their kids tic worse when they've had lots of "carbs" and of course many of the parents themselves are on variations of low-carb, wheat belly, gluten free, Atkins, and other BS diets. I have seen this discussion on various TS support groups globally. I discount most of the anecdotal evidence - partly because anecdote and bias and all that, but also because the very nature of TS is that tics wax and wane and it can be nearly impossible to attribute a better or worse period to any single factor (even some studies last only a couple of weeks and claim results!). But I know there is actual evidence for a ketogenic diet in certain kinds of severe epilepsy.

My question is does anyone know of any real evidence supporting or contradicting a keto-type diet for moderate to severe Tourette's? I can't find any in a Google search. And if someone does want to try it, what would be the safest way? I cannot see that doing it on a permanent basis could be worth it for any but the most severe, life-threatening tics and seizures. But for 2-4 weeks or a bit longer, to see if there are any indications of it getting better? And then maybe reintroduce foods to measure impact and try to get back to a long-term health-supporting diet... So partly I'm wondering if I can get anything to post in the group and partly I'm wondering for my own situation. DD absolutely does not want to go back on the medication, but if her tics get much worse our legal options to medication are extremely limited (as in zero)...

No way am I going to start feeding my dd dairy -- that's not happening. But I am dimly aware that there are people who say they follow a vegan keto diet. I cannot imagine that the protein and fat load does anything good in the long run, but part of me wonders about balancing out the longer term damage of that vs the shorter term damage of the severe tics. If she continues along the typical curve she's followed so far, she's toward the end of the peak years and it should gradually diminish over the next few years.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Re: Ketogenic diet and Tourette's Syndrome

Postby calvin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Have you considered extended supervised water-only fasting?
calvin

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:12 pm

calvin wrote:Have you considered extended supervised water-only fasting?

Thanks Calvin. If I were in the US, I might. But there is nobody who offers supervised water-only fasting here - I looked extensively before spending a lot of money on flights to the US to go to True North for myself.

I have serious doubts about finding any medical professional who would consent to supervising this for an adolescent girl.

But I do wonder if True North or one of those places has had patients with tic disorders. Interesting, I might write them... Thanks!
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 pm

The only evidence I know of is for treatment of a specific kind of epilepsy in children, and is not without side effects. I can imagine how desperate a person would feel when it comes to the children’s health, but I would no sooner give my child a medication without some sort of proof, you know? Unless it was to participate in some sort of formal study with medical supervision.

I am a bit biased, and am not dealing with the challenges you face, so only you can figure out if this is a path you want to pursue.

Best to you and your family.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby karin_kiwi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Lyndzie wrote:The only evidence I know of is for treatment of a specific kind of epilepsy in children, and is not without side effects. I can imagine how desperate a person would feel when it comes to the children’s health, but I would no sooner give my child a medication without some sort of proof, you know? Unless it was to participate in some sort of formal study with medical supervision.

I am a bit biased, and am not dealing with the challenges you face, so only you can figure out if this is a path you want to pursue.

Best to you and your family.

Thank you. I also only know of the research in relation to certain kinds of intractable epilepsy in children and am aware that the side effects of a keto diet are potentially dangerous. Believe me, if we do go down that path it won't be lightly. All TS kids are already guinea pigs (all the medications used for TS are currently or previously off label from other indications) and although there are some standard sequences of which medications at what strengths are trialled in what order for what kinds of kids, it's location-specific rather than strongly evidence-based.

Frankly, the safest and most effective substance I've read about and seen first hand is cannabis, which is not legal here. We have 2 or 3 people in NZ who have received Ministry of Health approval to use Sativex for their TS, but it costs about $1300/month. One of them has just undergone deep brain stimulation surgery for their tics (basically had the top of their skull taken off...the pictures are not pretty). It's very experimental. I suspect that part of the reason they went for surgery is that they could not afford to stay on Sativex, even though it was the first medication that actually worked, but the surgery is covered by the healthcare system. My daughter's TS isn't as extreme and she's much younger so still has hope that it will taper off.

So yes, we are carefully considering options. Thanks again. :-)

karin_kiwi

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Karin, how is your daughter doing? Did you try a diet change, and if so, did it have any benefit?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues