Importance of dietary fat in bile excretion?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Importance of dietary fat in bile excretion?

Postby seneca » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Hello!

I have been reading into cholesterol, bile, fiber, and dietary fat and how they relate, as my last checkup indicated my cholesterol was starting to approach the high range. It is my understanding that cholesterol is used in the synthesis of bile and when bile is carried away by soluble fiber, cholesterol levels effectively decrease as more bile is synthesized to replace what was lost. I have also read that bile is used to digest fats.

If I want to lower my cholesterol by carrying away bile via increased soluble fiber intake, would keeping my fat intake very low (<15g daily (<5% of calories in my case) limit the rate of my progression? Would increasing my fat intake result in more bile? Unrealistic hypoethtical: Would ZERO fat intake result in ZERO bile release? If the goal is to maximize bile production and maximize fiber intake to maximize bile excretion and cholesterol lowering, should fat not be limited? (At least in the context of whole plant foods without oils, so, for instance, including higher fat starches such as oats which I tend to limit to keep my fat % low).

Thanks!
seneca

Re: Importance of dietary fat in bile excretion?

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi seneca,

Welcome to the forums! You didn't mention what your current regime is so we don't know if you are following the McDougall Program already. What I can tell you, is that when you follow this program you will see nothing but positive results AND there is no need to worry about the minutia of dietary fat, bile, etc.

So, please go to the "How To Begin" sub-forum (viewforum.php?f=14) and read the 6 stickied threads outlining the details of this program and pointing you to all the information you will need to be successful. Additionally, implement the program and follow it everyday, every meal and over time, with such consistency, you will have success and great health. Then you stick with that for the rest of your life and enjoy the continued great health.

The key to success is learning and following the program 100%. You do not need info from other programs, doctors or so-called "Health Gurus". Everything you need is here, for free, from Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick.

Good Luck,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:52 pm

seneca,

Here is info on high cholesterol from the McDougall Program:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... olesterol/

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi seneca.

Scott gave you great information to get started. Just remember: keep it simple. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. When you’re giving your body what it needs, the details will take care of itself.

Enjoy the potatoes! And remember, oatmeal is food for lowering cholesterol, too.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Health Issues