Brand new to the site. My Dog has Cancer

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Brand new to the site. My Dog has Cancer

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am

Dogs are not humans. How long can a dog go without food? Starving your pet doesn’t seem ethical or advisable.

A fast is voluntary. Not feeding your pet is neglect.

Animals quit eating at the end of their lives. He might have quit eating the food you were giving him because he was dying. Though sad, it is inevitable. There is a difference between prolonging death and regaining health. Why not just feed him reasonable food (you be the judge of what that is) and let him follow his path?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Drew_ab » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm

It does seem like a very long fast for a dog and it does bring up ethical concerns as well. Regardless of what people say, please let us know about the outcome. It has inspired me to feed my dog a ton of whole-plant foods to crowd out the store bought kibble. Growing up I had a black lab and a german shepherd, both of which also stopped eating at the end of their lives too. One lived perhaps 2 weeks, the other lived a matter of a few days. How much did your dog weigh? What does it weigh now? What breed is it?
Drew_ab

Postby viv » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

That is beyond bizarre putting your dog on a fast. For whose benefit is this? Certainly not the dogs. How specifically do you put a dog on a fast? As Lyndzie says if he is just not hungry because he is dying well it is time to let him die and end his suffering.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby brit1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi I would recommend Dr Dressler's book on dog cancer, he gives the best advice. My 12yo dog was dx with oral malignant melanoma last year and is doing well. He recommends low carbs as carbs can feed cancer. As dog's systems are totally different to ours we have to be careful to replace nutrients missing in their diet without meat. Their systems are more acidic compared to ours which are more alkaline and too many veggies can cause bladder stones. Definitely do not fast your dog please! As a vegan myself I toyed with the idea of feeding my dogs vegan but after much research I recognized it is not in their best interest compared to pets like hamsters/gerbils/birds etc. Cats for sure are obligate carnivores and should have meat for their health. Dogs can be vegetarians (not vegans) but that requires the use of a high carb diet and the addition of synthetic nutrients like l-carnitine etc that are missing. I have read of one or two famous dogs being vegan but thats about all in a world of millions of dogs. I cook for my dog, some meat/low carb veggies/oats and of course add calcium. As he also enjoys eggs I use the shells pulverized as his calcium source. Everything is organic except the meat but it is grass fed/antiobiotic etc free. CBD oil can be useful but they also need other oils. Here is a link to a Halo review https://www.dogfoodinsider.com/halo-dog-food-review/
brit1

Previous

Return to Health Issues