Hashimoto’s

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hashimoto’s

Postby Oatsandbeans » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

I have tried every diet out there to heal my autoimmune thyroid disease. After 7 years eating vegan I went on the AIP diet and felt great. But the low carbs made my low blood sugar a mess. I am so tired of being cold, moody, and I’m in severe joint pain. To top it off my youngest daughter was just diagnosed with Hashimoto’s too and is in the middle of a bad flare. We are both seeing a functional Medicine doc. We take tons of supplements and eat grain free, soy free, dairy free, stay off night shades, and nuts and all added oils. My antibodies went from 907 to 75 in three months on the AIP then I got careless and had a bit of gluten and nuts and now I am back in pain. I would really love to be meat free but every time I try, I get symptoms again. Has anyone had healing from an autoimmune disorder using the McDougall way of eating? Today I have had only plants and my joint pain is high.
Oatsandbeans

Re: Hashimoto’s

Postby viv » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Do you take thyroid hormone replacement tabs? I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 30 years ago and it's been a bumpy ride with stabilizing symptoms. Since beginning the McDougall Plan five years ago things have settled down, I have reduced my meds and I feel great. I feel best when my TSH levels are between 1 and 3. As far as I know there is no "healing" of Hashimoto's as it's an autoimmune condition where the thyroid is destroyed by the immune system over time. But it can be stabilized with hormone replacement meds and a whole foods plant based no oil diet, you will reach your full health potential. I don't even think of it anymore, I simply take one tiny levothyroxine tablet before bed each evening, no problem whatsoever.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Oatsandbeans » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:15 pm

I am not sure why it is not working for me. The AIP or the auto immune protocol worked but it was very meat centered. Did you have joint pain, mood swings, hair loss, dry skin etc?

I have tried the thyroid medications but I can’t seem to get the dosage right so I just gave up.I have met people like you who seem to thrive on the medication but I’m just not one of them.
Oatsandbeans

Postby eshqua » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:24 am

I was lucky and I reversed my low thyroid about 6 years ago and have been off medication ever since. I had been on medication about 4 years. I started hearing of others who switched to a WFPB diet and were able to reverse their Hashimoto’s. I also went to a local seminar on thyroid and talked to a person there who needed a nap if she forgot to take her medication. I would occasionally forget to take my levothyroxine but felt no different so that got me thinking that do I really need the medication anymore? I convinced my doctor to let me try going without the levothyroxine and she suggested 2 months. The 2 months turned into 6 months before I went back for a blood test. Both my T4 and TSH has improved from the previous blood levels. One of them was back within the normal range and the other was just outside normal. My doctor gave me the option of staying off the medication which of course I chose. The only change I had made was starting to eat WFPB 8 years ago. A few years after I got off medication, I told a friend about this when I found out she also had Hashimoto’s. She had been eating WFPB longer than I had. Long story short, she also got off her medication, had a blood test and her levels also returned to normal.

From everything I read, I believe eating WFPB improved the health of my gut microbiome which is very much tied to immunity. I try to eat very high fiber - 8 servings of vegetables, 1 c of beans, 2 or 3 servings of whole grains, 2 servings of fruit per day as minimums. This high fiber diet has fed all the good bacteria in my gut causing the good bacteria to multiply and given me much better immunity. So many we read about here on the McDougall website and other places have reversed autoimmune conditions - I believe because the gut microbiome starts to thrive eating WFPB.
eshqua

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:26 am

Why not try Dr. McDougall's version of the elimination diet and see if it helps you.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/health-science/common-health-problems/allergic-reactions-to-food/
VeggieSue

Postby Bkworm » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am

First of all, I am not a doctor or medical professional of any sort. This information is based entirely on my personal experience with the WFPB way of eating (WOE) and its affect on my RA and hypothyroidism.

I definitely agree with VeggieSue. You will probably need to follow an elimination diet to determine your personal food triggers. Your daughter as well. Just because you can eat a particular food does not mean your daughter will be able to eat that same food with no problems. I finally realized that all food is suspect for my body until I prove otherwise.[b][/b]. I will admit that following an elimination diet (ED) can be boring as far as the food is concerned but it is well worth the effort to be totally pain free. Also, be aware that just because you have eaten a food your entire life with no problems does not mean your body will not suddenly reject it.

Since 1991 I have taken thyroid medication. That is the only medication I take at 66 years of age. Last November my TSH was 0.904 with a Ref Range of 0.4-4.5. Due to this WOE I have been able to eliminate several meds that I had taken for many years. My RA was diagnosed in 2010. In January 2013 I started the WFPB way of eating after watching the Forks Over Knives documentary and have never looked back. I was totally pain free of the RA flares within a couple of weeks and enjoyed the wonderful WFPB array of foods and meals I could eat. However, at about the six-month mark I started experiencing mild RA flares again. After that continued for a few months with me trying to figure out the cause of the flares, I decided to go on an elimination diet to see if I could discover the reason for the new flares. While I did get some additional relief from the flares at first on the ED, it was not the same level I experienced when I started the WFPB WOE. Also, while my joints were sensitive again at this point, I have never experienced the level of severe, debilitating RA pain since starting this way of eating.

At the point I started the elimination diet, I was 100% compliant with the WFPB plan. Happened across a post on the forum about someone reacting to oats and/or rice which affected their RA. I decided to eliminate both from my diet even though they are listed as "safe" food on the elimination diet list. Sure enough, as soon as I eliminated both oats and rice from my diet, the rest of the RA flares stopped and I was totally pain free again.

The purpose of an elimination diet is to help you determine your personal food triggers. I can eat cooked tomatoes but no fresh tomatoes. My best friend can't eat tomatoes at all. The only grains I can eat are corn, buckwheat, and quinoa. My friend cannot eat corn at all. My body does not tolerate the high fat foods such as nuts and seeds, nut and seed butters, and avocados - not even chia seeds or flax seeds. I can't eat citrus, green chilies, and a number of spices. Absolutely cannot eat anything with gluten and absolutely no meat or oils of any kind. My body reacts almost immediately to the gluten and fats. My body does not tolerate any alcohol at all, even just a little bit used in cooking. While all these foods are compliant foods for the WFPB plan, my body does not tolerate them.

Friday I saw a friend I had not seen in a year. She follows the progress of my RA WFPB experience as she has a younger sister who was diagnosed about the same time I was with RA. While the sister did try to control her RA with diet for a short period (never WFPB), she decided she just could not give up the meat and her wine and started medications. The friend told me Friday that her sister's hands have continued to become more debilitated and deformed. In fact, her feet are so bad now they are even turning out. Her doctor has said she will need surgery on her tendons to correct the problem. The other meds were not really helping so the sister is now taking infusion treatments at a chemo clinic twice a year. That does help once it kicks in but is takes a few weeks and it loses its effectiveness before she can undergo her next treatment.

Here are some links to a newsletter and other material by Dr. McDougall concerning this way of eating and various types of thyroid issues.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... hyroid.htm

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e-thyroid/

Here are some links to the success stories of people who control their various forms of autoimmune types of arthritis. I believe Leslie and Nicole both also have Facebook pages pertaining to their arthritis and will answer questions.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ie-craine/

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e-s-oshea/

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl ... ncases.htm

I wish you the best on your and your daughter's continued journey to get relief from the Hashimoto's.
Bkworm

!

Postby viv » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Oatsandbeans wrote:I am not sure why it is not working for me. The AIP or the auto immune protocol worked but it was very meat centered. Did you have joint pain, mood swings, hair loss, dry skin etc?

I have tried the thyroid medications but I can’t seem to get the dosage right so I just gave up.I have met people like you who seem to thrive on the medication but I’m just not one of them.

Yes I had all those symptoms. For many years I was circling between alopecia areata, depression and obesity. I was finally very desperate when I was having severe joint pain and then I I woke up one morning with pain and stiffness in my hands. That was when I got real mad and yelled at God to heal my body! Well to cut a long story short, the very next day I was watching Forks over Knives on Netfiix and then onto Dr. McDougall's website.

You may wish to make an appointment with an endocrinologist for a full work-up. If you have had Hashimoto's for a while you may be past the time when you can heal through diet alone. Untreated Hashimoto's can have very serious side effects up to and including heart failure. Once you get the meds right and eating a WFPB diet your life will change radically.

Good luck!
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Miapalffy5 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 pm

It can be very tricky finding the right medication.
I have had Hashimotos for 33 years.
Synthroid almost killed me, I wound up 180 pounds, fibromyalgia, and one breath from disability.
I researched and found a Yahoo group for Hashis.a member sent me Armour Throid and bit changed my life. I take 3 grains a day. I had a Doppler ultrasound done and my thyroid gland was barely detectable. But if I respect my body with giving it lots of rest, good nutrition and stay compliant with my meds, I'm good.
Now I am facing RA which is how I found Dr. McDougall. I'm still on a learning curve ..relieving my fatigue...but my fingers still hurt so I'll keep eliminating..yoga, Reiki and Qi Gong have been lifesavers as far as pain. Don't give up, you'll find the right thyroid med.
;)
Miapalffy5

Postby Oatsandbeans » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried the elimination diet but I never got to the no pain base line. I guess I could go back on the AIP and get pain free and then add in more starches and begin to eliminate the meat and fats.
Oatsandbeans

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Oatsandbeans wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I have tried the elimination diet but I never got to the no pain base line. I guess I could go back on the AIP and get pain free and then add in more starches and begin to eliminate the meat and fats.

Good plan I think. Though why only "begin to eliminate the meat and fats"? Just go for it but keep to the starches you know you can eat i.e. sweet potatoes work for you yes? All you really need is plenty of sweet potatoes, maybe some winter squash, and some colorful vegetables. Pretty much a tight version of elimination diet! Some people just do not do well with grains. My ex-wife is one of them. And she does just fine w/ sweet potatoes (but not night shade potatoes).
GeoffreyLevens

Return to Health Issues