Trying to understand fluctuations in morning glucose levels

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Trying to understand fluctuations in morning glucose levels

Postby On The Road » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:52 am

Been pretty serious about my diet over the last two weeks. Part of this is being religious about getting morning fasting blood glucose levels.

The impetus of this change was labs that showed a A1c that was 10. Along with DR wanting to start insulin shots. The next day my morning glucose was 301, wow. So back to my veggies, no meat, no oil, little dairy.

My question is, I would expect a steady decline in levels, but they are generally declining but the last four days are as follows. 301,254,230,205,and 253. I was half expecting to be below 200 this morning but it went back up to the 253.

I pretty much eat the same thing everyday.

Breakfast, Bowl of oatmeal, almond milk, raspberries or blueberryies, a few raisins and some crushed almonds.

Lunch or dinner, rarely eat both consist of two burritos that are made from the following. red beans, some shredded cheese, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, jalapenos, olives. Raw red onion, cabbage, cilantro, and some salsa.

Throughout the day I much on a bag of spinach, carrots, and cauliflower.

That is pretty much it and although there may be different levels of each I pretty much stick to that.

I expect in time this will have a very positive effect on the A1c, but I am a little surprised at the ups and downs of the morning glucose level.

Any insight?

Thank You very much
John C.
On The Road

Re: Trying to understand fluctuations in morning glucose lev

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 am

There are quite a few things besides diet that can effect blood sugar. But I would eliminate the cheese. Even if vegan/non-dairy, it will still be high fat and if you are a bit generous in the serving some days that could conceivably account for increase blood sugar next morning.
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Trying to understand fluctuations in morning glucose lev

Postby Birdy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 am

Hi John,
The amount of activity and exercise you get each day also affects blood sugar. Similarly to food intake, daily exercise should be fairly consistent with at least a 30 minute walk each day and avoiding being sedentary as much as possible. My understanding is that the amount of sleep you get can also affect fasting readings, but I haven't experienced this personally (I also have t2dm). You might consider eating 3 meals a day rather than lunch or dinner. That way you'd be spreading your calorie intake throughout the day and not taking in as many calories all at once at either lunch or dinner.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Return to Health Issues