bowel movements

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

bowel movements

Postby Lady_Potato_Head » Wed May 20, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi All
i am new to this forum but not new to a plant-based diet.
Right now I am not eating any animal products for a few weeks and over the past year have significantly reduced my intake to the McDougall ideology of holiday feasts only.. I have been stuck between the Raw Vegan and Paleo camps for quite some time now..
I have feared the potato and grains far too long!!

So.. Over the last 1.5 weeks I have significantly cut out ALL oils. I am reading his Maximum Weight Loss now and my skin has improved tremendously already.

Here is my concern.. bowel movements..
I weigh 166, I'm 5'5 and I try to drink approx. 3 liters a day but I do not always drink this much.
Since I've increased starches.. Sticking to mostly potatoes and rice and corn tortillas with some beans here and there.. I am having trouble with this.. because I know starches DO NOT have a lot of fiber in them.. they just don't.
when i plug into CRON-O-Meter I'm getting about 20grams between breakfast and lunch. This includes 1 fruit and some raw cruciferous and non-starchy vegetables

I am increasing my vegetable ratio to starches going forward.. I had to take magnesium last night and want to stay off the senna or herbs to stimulate bms. . i haven't had a good BM today :(
When I say GOOD I shouldn't be pushing. I am concerned. Scared the starches are constipating me and its important to i have good elimination on a daily basis without struggle.

please help
thanks
Lady_Potato_Head

Re: bowel movements

Postby Crider » Wed May 20, 2015 4:21 pm

You're eating brown rice and unpeeled potatoes, aren't you? Some corn tortillas have more bran than others — usually the tortillas at natural food stores have more bran. I eat whole food and I get at least 65 grams of fiber per day, so don't forget to eat whole starches and enjoy your vegetables & fruit.
Crider

Postby Lady_Potato_Head » Wed May 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Yes and Yes.. I got about 40grams of fiber yesterday and 45 grams today what I saw from Cronometer, but more water today and vegetables.

I DO recall having a huge plain toasted bagel for breakfast both Monday and Tuesday.. so I know that can not be good due to refined flour. I cut that out now and yes pretty much everything is WHOLE FOOD now.

is 45 grams of fiber not enough?

maybe it is just my digestion adjusting I don't know.. how much water exactly should I be drinking??
I am having to relearn with eating more starch..

thanks for your help
Lady_Potato_Head

Postby MINNIE » Thu May 21, 2015 6:44 am

Most people have a period of adjustment so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I disagree with the statement that starches don't have much fiber. Beans, oats, and many others are actually very high in fiber. You can check the nutrition labels on a box of oatmeal, shredded wheat, can of beans, etc. You may want to gradually add more fiber, as your digestive tract gets more comfortable with it. But trying to force yourself to do it too soon, will only make this a stressful process when it needn't be.

The water question is addressed in registered dietician Jeff Novick's section of the site.

I think this will be helpful. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48199

My suggestion is to relax, eat right, let your body adapt at it's own pace. Everything will come out fine:).
MINNIE

Postby Atheria » Thu May 21, 2015 4:24 pm

No matter what I do, I struggle with constipation (my surgeon in 2012 suspected straining to go is what caused my inguinal hernia), gas, and bloating. I've just accepted the fact that I need to take an aloe laxative on a pretty regular basis. I admit defeat.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Thu May 21, 2015 6:54 pm

My experience is totally opposite...constipation used to be my normal...now I go regularly every morning...my diet has lots of potatoes, corn, and beans. I am gassy...but not uncomfortable...I think this diet just makes me gassy...the good thing is that it does not smell like fast food flatus does...I know...TMI... :oops:
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Atheria » Fri May 22, 2015 8:59 am

The ONLY time my digestive system worked on its own was many years ago when I was on a very high fat raw food diet. But, when I tried that again a year or two ago, it didn't work. I ended up still constipated and looked 6 months pregnant with gas.....sigh
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Postby Lady_Potato_Head » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi All
thanks for the replies..
I need some help because I am still not having regular elimination regularly.
I have eliminated most all of the junk and I'm going high on root vegetables.. carrots, beets, radishes, and other non-starchy vegetables like zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms..
I'm eating an apple here and there, some cherries, oatmeal with chia seeds.. picco de gallo, cilantro..
my starches have been beans, corn, peas, some rice and potatoes and gluten free pasta , maybe a bit of polenta.
a few wheat/corn blended tortillas for tacos with all the goodies.

I am NOT adding salt to my meals and i am trying to stay as oil free as possible.
I am drinking about 1.5 liters of water a day on average in addition to the water content in food.
I drink coffee black like 1 cup a day and tea.

I had a pizza last weekend and not sure if gluten really is a problem for me.
I had to do an enema Sunday and nothing then took Senna tea and still nothing the next day.. had to do again on Monday night and then had elimination. sorry for TMI but elimination is very high on my list for healing!!!

I am eating copious amounts of vegetables. I had to strain this morning again :(
WTF!! im not going the opposite direction because i know fiber is necessary.
This is very frustrating, and uncomfortable.

Is there anyone who can talk to this and not speculate??
Is there someone certified on this board?

thanks
Lady_Potato_Head

Postby Timaca » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Perhaps you can try a probiotic for awhile? You can read reviews on Amazon or other places to find one suitable for your situation.

All the best,
Timaca

Postby Crider » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Constipation is a rare phenomenon in these here parts.

So, if it isn't the fiber, then how about interactions with a medication? Are you taking any prescription pain medication?

Otherwise, I'd focus in on the water if I was constipated. Drink enough water to keep your pee clear and see if that helps your situation after doing this for a couple of days. Good luck!
Crider

Postby scooterpie » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Crider wrote:Constipation is a rare phenomenon in these here parts.

Actually that's false IMO. I've read this board for a number of years and there are probably 2-3 posts/month like the original above.

They usually don't come back to report that it was resolved. Perhaps it was resolved and they didn't think to revisit the post. I think some of those people just simply abandon the diet and go on their merry way. IOW, I never see any of the advice of the answerers to the problem work for the issue. Maybe it does, but unless there's a post to say so--who knows!

It's a condition that occurs with some people on this diet. It's a rather unexpected side effect for those doing the diet and then suffering from one of the very conditions the diet is advertised to resolve. I assume you were "regular" before?

No, there are no drs other than Dr McD posting to answer these questions. You can email him directly, or you could search JeffN's forum for anything he has said about constipation re: this diet. The two drs from Fs Over Ks--Pulde and the other one (don't remember the name) used to post. They may have had their own forum at one time. I don't know if those names are searchable.

I'm a certified consumer of miller's bran (wheat), and I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it--the coarser the better IMO. You start out small--1T and then work up to whatever works. Some people have constipation and there's just no good reason for it. Or there's a psychological aspect to it. If it continues with you, you might see a gastroenterologist to see what's going on.

The only other thing I know is that if you've used enemas, colonics or laxatives on a regular basis for years, that will also contribute. I think one's system can recover from that, but it probably requires patience.

Also, bran requires a good amount of liquid. Mix in food--soup, cereal, oats or just mix it with water and drink it.

I hope you resolve the issue to your liking--good luck!
scooterpie

Postby mab56 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Around 70g of fiber a day eating cooked 1kg potato with skins on mixed with 1-1.75kg brown rice (depending on how hungry I am) plus around 20g carrot, 75g broc plus 100g mixed beans plus 10-20g flax chewed in morning and 3g sunflower. This is what fixed my problems. That and actually learning to go when I know is the right time and not going early and pushing. Add in some 10min running 2 times a week, 10min body work out in the morning and may be an hour walking each day and less sitting. Hope this helps
mab56

Postby bevnel1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi Atheria. Not sure if you have heard of a "Squatty Potty" . They are sold at Bed Bath and Beyond. However, I just use a little stool rather than put out the money. Just by putting your feet up it makes you "go" a lot easier. I thought it was a gimmick but it really works. When I am at someone else's home, I just put my feet up on the garbage can - anything works. Hope this is helpful....
bevnel1

Postby Timaca » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I second bevnel 1's suggestion. Instead of a stool, I use one of those large exercise balls. It's nice to move your legs around a bit. :D

Also, this probiotic seems to have good reviews and it seems to be helping me.....we'll see how time goes along....

Best,
Timaca

Postby Atheria » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:24 am

Hi Bevnel1 & Timaca,

I do know that squatting to go is supposed to be helpful. Before I saw your responses, I actually squatted on the seat 2 days ago. Yes, I'm limber enough to do that. LOL! I'm still not going at all...or well...for days at a time. I do not want to cause another hernia or hemorrhoids, so I gave in and took an aloe laxative this morning. Even drinking black coffee first thing in the morning on an empty stomach doesn't help anymore! I'm fed up. At least aloe isn't as damaging as other laxatives.

I've tried probiotics, wheat bran, enzymes, etc. Nothing works. My sister gets constipated on brown rice, but is fine on white rice! In my case, I either feel like I need to go but have to strain really bad to get out the hard rocks, or, I just don't even have the urge to go for days...while you can feel a large lump when you push on my abdomen (proving there is stuff sitting in there). Finally, I'll explode and do 4 days' worth. :-/

Sigh,
Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
Atheria

Next

Return to Health Issues