Post MI/stent ACE inhibitor & beta blocker use.

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Post MI/stent ACE inhibitor & beta blocker use.

Postby dynodan62 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I recently read Dr. McDougall's old newsletter article re: the dangers of excessive BP lowering of hypertensives/diabetics with meds.
My BP was always normal, but like most every other post MI/stent patient, I take metoprolol & lisinopril. While not specifically prescribed to lower BP, that is a major side effect. My BP hovers around 100-105/65-70 when tested at home. I had been pleased with these #s until recently, but now think this may explain why my hands fall asleep at night, and are painfully cold in winter ever since my hospitalization.
Anyone out there with a similar complaint/situation?
dynodan62

Re: Post MI/stent ACE inhibitor & beta blocker use.

Postby f1jim » Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Those two medications are used primarily for lowering BP and heart rate. They can very well be the instigator of many side effects. As a person that has managed to ween myself off of the Metoprolol with my doctors begrudging acceptance I urge you to do the same. Keep great records of your BP and at exercise heart rate and convince them to wean you off of the meds. I am sure you will be pleased being off of them and their contribution to any issues will be eliminated.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby dynodan62 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am

I believe another side effect is increased nocturia. Though not specifically listed in either data sheet, it is just too coincidental that it started immediately after my MI. I plan to wean myself from both meds eventually, but only when I am satisfied I am in full long term diet compliance, and my BMI is down to where it should be. In the meantime, as I currently have quite a BP buffer, I am in no hurry to completely eliminate all caffein & table salt. I know Dr. M. Does not approve of coffee, but I am not yet convinced my morning cup of mild roast with a little unsweetened almond milk is currently such an evil. Since I HAVE eliminated most all processed foods (except for Dr. McDougall's low sodium organic soups), I believe he would look the other way when I sprinkle just a bit of kosher sea salt on certain vegetables.
dynodan62

Postby scooterpie » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am

dynodan62, have you been screened for sleep apnea?

Nocturia is a sign of obstructive sleep apnea--contrary to the old and popular belief that it is because of aging--unless you have some other explanation/diagnosis of your nocuturia. (See Nocturia. A rarely recognized symptom of sleep apnea and other occult sleep disorders.

Untreated sleep apnea is a cause of hypertension, heart disease and a host of other ills including stroke.
scooterpie

Postby dynodan62 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Something to consider, since I cannot easily rule it out (I live alone).
But again, would be quite coincidental as I am urinating more frequently by day as well. It's just that it's only problematic for me at night (I might suspect diabetes if my fasting glucose was higher, and I was especially thirsty).
Also, we would half to infer from that study that all the aging males with BPH who get up only once every night have sleep apnea, and bladder pressure alone is not responsible. A possibility, though seems unlikely.
dynodan62

Postby Norman » Fri May 10, 2013 10:31 am

dynodan62

I must of read read the same 2002 newsletter article on the danger of reducing blood pressure from medication to low.

My story viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36547
Code: Select all
[code][code][code][/code][/code][/code]

I have had the same experience of hand and finger numbness with metoprolol. I was put on a 40mg dose of metoprolol 3 weeks ago when I was discharged from the cardiac ward in the hospital after turning down a stent. They say my blood pressure was 160/100 when entering the emergency ward. I failed a stress test given at the hospital.

I started a 100% compliant Esselstyn diet the day I entered the hospital.
when I got home, I started the metoprolol and Zocor (statin) as well.
after taking the medication I began experiencing numbness at night first on one hand then later spreading to both hands. I would wake up at about 3 in the morning feeling like they had gone to sleep. Opening and closing my fists would restore feeling to my hands and fingers. This led me to believe that it was circulation problem not a nerve problem.

I originally went to the ER because of chest pain with light exertion. A few days after coming home from the hospital I started on my treadmill. After 10 days I had reached the ability to go on the treadmill for 1hr at 3.4 miles an hr without chest pain. I had lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. My bp dropped to 110/60. I decided on my own to cut my medication in half to 25mg. After this change my blood pressure averaged 124/80. my hand numbness continued at night. Last night 3 weeks after the hospital I stopped the metoprolol and I had no numbness that night. My blood pressure was 123/77. After and hr on the treadmill it went up to 130/83. After 20 minutes rest it dropped to 117/70. You are in a different situation as you had stent put in. I can't recommend you do it on your own as I did. But I would follow Jim's advice, collect BP data at home and talk to your cardiologist about reducing the medication. I would see them soon though.

On another note the doctors also wanted to put me on mediforin for diabetes. I turned them down. My A1c test was 6.6 At home with great diet my blood sugar ranged between 101 and 117 with no medication. Today it was 93.

After 21 days I dropped the Zocor. As my cholesterol was 173 and my
ldl was 117. I feel diet has had enough time to do some work and the numbers will come down fast with a Whole foods Plant perfect diet.

I feel I have a choice to commit to 100% compliance to the Esselstyn?McDougall diet for life (90% wont work for me)
or
commit taking BP medication and statins for life with occasional stents and perhaps another bypass in time.

I will keep you posted about BP numbers.
Norman

Postby Norman » Sat May 11, 2013 7:58 am

4/20 evening BP 160/100
Angina with mild activity
Failed stress test
A1c 6.6 Reccomended stent for blockage

Update
5/11

21 days whole foods Plant Based Diet

Last night mild numbness on right hand during the night, but less then before.

Morning BP with no medication 124/77
Blood sugar 96

1 hr on treadmill with no chest pains

Very rapid recovery to normal blood pressure and pulse after treadmill.
5 minutes
Norman

Postby dynodan62 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 am

f1jim wrote:Those two medications are used primarily for lowering BP and heart rate. They can very well be the instigator of many side effects. As a person that has managed to ween myself off of the Metoprolol with my doctors begrudging acceptance I urge you to do the same. Keep great records of your BP and at exercise heart rate and convince them to wean you off of the meds. I am sure you will be pleased being off of them and their contribution to any issues will be eliminated.
f1jim

Jim,

While going through some old forum posts, I came accross your experience with simvistatin & knee pain/muscle damage. I had the same problem after I adopted the WFPB diet and lowered my total lipids to near 100. I then switched to pravastin, bumped up my Co Q10 intake, and the trouble ceased. I can find very little data re: specifics of statin-associated muscle pain. I suspect it may attack where muscle tissue is already compromised, as in my case it was the opposite shoulder/rotator cuff area from the one where I previously suffered a severe tear. I wonder what your situation was?
P.S. I have been all over the website, but cannot locate your recovery story. Could you post a more specific link.

Dan
dynodan62

Postby VeggieSue » Fri May 17, 2013 9:06 am

I don't see his written one in the list at all, but if you can see the *video* testimonials, you'll find it 6th from the bottom.
VeggieSue

Postby f1jim » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 am

I had no muscle problems before the prescription for Simvastatin. I started having pain in the muscles above and below the knees on both legs. It got to where I had the pain constantly. I mentioned this to my doctor and he immediately took me off the Simvastatin. Since my total cholesterol was already around 108 I guess he felt safe in removing it. I convinced him to let me take a test after 3 months to see what my levels would be naturally. They came back at 121 and he never pressured me to take another till about a year later. Now at least once a year he tries to get me to try another and I have been adamant about leaving them off. I think if my cholesterol was much higher he would be more insistent.
The bad news is I still have problems with the muscles above my right knee. It seemed to clear up everywhere else but I have weakness and pain under the right circumstances. Those circumstances are a flight of stairs at the right angle and several gym machines that work the legs. It appears the damage is permanent and I am at the point where I wouldn't take the statins under most any circumstances again. It appears that the test used to verify muscle deterioration is not picking up the majority of damage the drugs are doing. I refer you to Dr. Gregers video on the subject:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/statin-muscle-toxicity/

I urge anyone taking these drugs to watch the video and be aware of the possible consequences. After learning the real scope of the benefits of these drugs anyone following this way of eating would be wise to reassess their drug use.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby dynodan62 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

VeggieSue wrote:I don't see his written one in the list at all, but if you can see the *video* testimonials, you'll find it 6th from the bottom.

I give up. Just can't find it on my iPad. No dropdown menu anywhere for 'video testimonials'. Maybe my desktop would allow more data access? I notice some sites restrict features on tablets.
dynodan62

Return to Health Issues