Strengthening immunity vs coronavirus - really?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Strengthening immunity vs coronavirus - really?

Postby PJK » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

I am getting multiple emails regarding ways to "strengthen your immunity" against COVID-19.

is this really something that works? Or, as I suspect, mere marketing?

The implication seems to be that if your immune system is robust enough, you either won't get the disease or, if you do, it will be mild.

Anyone know if this is true?

We know that people with compromised immune systems are especially at risk. For example, someone who has a pre-existing respiratory disease.

But is the opposite true - that you can repel the disease with an immune system that's especially strong?
PJK

Re: Strengthening immunity vs coronavirus - really?

Postby Ltldogg » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm

In general, yes, of course. The stronger your immune system, the better it works against viruses, bacteria, infections, fungus, toxins, etc. Ways to improve your immune system would be:

1. Eating a healthy McDougall Program
2. Avoiding toxins like bad food, smoking, alcohol, etc
3. Avoiding immuno-suppressing meds when possible
4. Staying active, but not over-exerting yourself with excessive exercise
5. Getting sunlight every day possible
6. Getting enough sleep
7. Getting enough water

A strong immune system does not mean you will be immune to everything or anything. It does mean you have a better chance to fight off more and faster. However, it does actually lead to:

8. Creating antibodies to viruses, bacteria, etc. so you can be immune or fend off quicker next time.

I hope this generalization helps!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby PJK » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks.

Re your point #8, is there any evidence of this? That is, is there any data showing that people who are healthier actually create these antibodies?
PJK

Postby Ltldogg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:06 am

PJK wrote:Re your point #8, is there any evidence of this? That is, is there any data showing that people who are healthier actually create these antibodies?

Yes. Have you heard the phrase "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger"? That is part of the human immune system. Some antibodies persist for a long-time and others not, but there is a reason why after fighting off the common cold, the flu, sinus infection, you are less likely to get it again immediately. Your body has created antibodies to fight that bacteria, virus, etc.

So the healthier a person's immune system, the better it is at creating antibodies to foreign antigens. Of course, I'm simplifying a complex process and would encourage you to research this for yourself as I am an NOT an expert.

EDITED part in bold above
Ltldogg

Return to Health Issues