food intolerances and Whole-food-Plant diet

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

food intolerances and Whole-food-Plant diet

Postby finallyhealthy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm

I have come across your website and I am really interested in changing my eating habits to a whole-food-plant based diet.
However, I have for long suffered from serious gastrointestinal problems and food intolerances and I was wondering if it is possible to still pursue such a diet when I have lots of food restrictions.

For example, I have serious difficulties with digesting most grains, some vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower and spices such as onion, garlic and pepper. Given that a whole-food-plant based diet has as major pillar these foods, how could I have a healthy diet without triggering my gastric symptoms?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice
finallyhealthy

Re: food intolerances and Whole-food-Plant diet

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:07 pm

It's not a problem - there is such a wide choice of vegetables and starches that you can find plenty of food to eat.

I have Celiac's disease so no gluten/wheat products. I also am allergic to peanuts, corn and rice, honeydew and cantaloupe.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 am

finallyhealthy wrote:I have come across your website and I am really interested in changing my eating habits to a whole-food-plant based diet.
However, I have for long suffered from serious gastrointestinal problems and food intolerances and I was wondering if it is possible to still pursue such a diet when I have lots of food restrictions.

For example, I have serious difficulties with digesting most grains, some vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower and spices such as onion, garlic and pepper. Given that a whole-food-plant based diet has as major pillar these foods, how could I have a healthy diet without triggering my gastric symptoms?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice

McDougall is a starch-based diet, but that doesn't mean you have to eat every kind of starch. There are many non-grain starches (root vegetables/tubers, winter squashes, beans/peas/lentils). Likewise, you don't have to eat all vegetables or any spices that you know cause you problems.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Willijan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm

You don't even need to eat a variety of starchy foods. Dr. McDougall has made it clear that you can just, for example, eat potatoes, or sweet potatoes as your starch every day. Just add some vegetables and fruits--and you don't need a huge variety of those either, just a few will do fine. These few foods will keep you healthy. But you can have a wider variety if you want.
Willijan

Postby foodaddict » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:52 am

there is an elimination diet that may be the best to start with if you are new to this diet.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... s-to-food/
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Return to Health Issues