Question on Hypothyroid

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question on Hypothyroid

Postby guitarplayer007 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:39 pm

A woman friend of mine is afraid to do the starch solution because she has (slow) Hypothyroid. Does Dr. McDougall ever address this issue. I've read some things that starch can be bad for people with thyroid issues.
thx
Ken
guitarplayer007

Re: Question on Hypothyroid

Postby VeggieSue » Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 am

In all of the McDougall webinars, Dr. McDougall stresses how the answer to just about every question submitted to him can easily be found on his web site by using the Search function, the one in the dark green bar near the top of the page.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/google-search/

In this case, searching for "hypothyroid" beings up a slew of responses. Here's the first one, one of his newsletter articles on hypothyroid. It should answer all your questions.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/december/thyroid.htm
VeggieSue

Postby guitarplayer007 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:12 am

Thank you, unfortunately he doesn't answer the question. But I can't really see how living the Starch lifestyle would make your thyroid issue worse. I have to assume many of his patients have thyroid issues.
Thanks
Ken
guitarplayer007

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:Thank you, unfortunately he doesn't answer the question. But I can't really see how living the Starch lifestyle would make your thyroid issue worse. I have to assume many of his patients have thyroid issues.
Thanks
Ken

Starch solution totally fine. If indeed hypothyroid, she MUST take the hormone or risk serious disease complications later.

I take levothyroxine myself but since starting eating this way (almost 6 years now) my need for the hormone supplement has been cut in 1/2. I have gone from 150 mcg/day to 75 mcg/day. Since I was hypo for about 10 years prior with no change, most likely it is the diet that has caused the improvement!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby guitarplayer007 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:32 am

Yes she is on medication
guitarplayer007

Postby guitarplayer007 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:37 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:Thank you, unfortunately he doesn't answer the question. But I can't really see how living the Starch lifestyle would make your thyroid issue worse. I have to assume many of his patients have thyroid issues.
Thanks
Ken

Starch solution totally fine. If indeed hypothyroid, she MUST take the hormone or risk serious disease complications later.

I take levothyroxine myself but since starting eating this way (almost 6 years now) my need for the hormone supplement has been cut in 1/2. I have gone from 150 mcg/day to 75 mcg/day. Since I was hypo for about 10 years prior with no change, most likely it is the diet that has caused the improvement!

Did you lose weight after starch solution?
guitarplayer007

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue May 03, 2016 3:28 pm

guitarplayer007 wrote:Did you lose weight after starch solution?

Went from 138 to 110 lbs though I am one of the rare ones that needs to eat only about 1/3 of plate as starch and no snacking. Hypothyroid may have some effect but nothing that can not be overcome by a little calorie density tweaking.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby guitarplayer007 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Thank you
guitarplayer007

Postby viv » Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm

In my case the Starch Solution has improved my life in wondrous ways. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroid) 30 years ago. Since going on the starch solution three years ago, I have lost 55 lbs, reduced meds from 150 mcg levothyroxine to 100 mcg and I feel the best I have ever felt. My thyroid has completely calmed down, no more flares, and it is the most stable I can remember. I just go about my starchy life, living a simple diet of starch (mainly potatoes) plus fruits and veg. I only wish I had done it a lot sooner, my life would have been very different.

Good luck to your friend, tell her to begin immediately, I recommend buying The Starch Solution, it is my bible.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby daniel121 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 pm

guitarplayer007 wrote:A woman friend of mine is afraid to do the starch solution because she has (slow) Hypothyroid. Does Dr. McDougall ever address this issue. I've read some things that starch can be bad for people with thyroid issues.
thx
Ken

All starches are fine except maybe for gluten grains (wheat, barley, rye). Even those may be ok.
daniel121

Return to Health Issues