Severe stomach pains

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Severe stomach pains

Postby Debbie » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:47 pm

I have no idea what is going on, but in the past month I have had this stomach pain. My insurance sucks, so going to the doctors is sort of out. I mean I went, but without further testing, there isnt much to do.

It started about a month ago with an off plan meal of biscuits and gravy. One restaurant and Ive had the same response all 3 times, but the last time was the absolute worst and of course I will never ever eat there again. It laid me out for an entire day. I had no normal McDougall's revenge, quite the opposite really, where nothing came out. The only way I can describe it is...it feels as if the stomach twisted on itself. There was no passing of gas or burping. This day about a month ago, I slept all day. I drank no water and yet did not get dehydrated, urine remained clear. Not only did my actual stomach hurt, but it seemed to wrap around my back and affect the muscles too. Took a couple days, but slowly I felt better. Out of the blue earlier this week, it came back. Not as bad as a month ago, but eating has been really difficult. It hurts to be hungry and it hurts to be full...and anywhere in between. But I do not actually ever feel hungry or full, if that makes sense, my stomach just hurts more the hungrier I get. My stomach burns, but not in an acidy way and feels quite literally like its cramping. It was slowly getting better, then I woke up this morning again in significant pain. Fed the horses and came back home and slept on a heating pad for a couple hours. Now its manageable. But nothing and everything seems to cause it to hurt. And everything seems to cause it to bloat. Tums doesnt seem to have any affect on it at all either. The week before I had this odd back pain too...feeding the horses I noticed my upper back seemed really really tight and I noticed I was pinching my shoulder blades together while arching my back quite a bit, as if I were protecting my lower back. I ended up on the couch and taking Tylenol and laying on a very hot heating pad. I described it as if I had broken a rib, which I have done before, and breathing was difficult and painful to take a deep breath. This morning, I am feeling the pain in my stomach seem to wrap around to that spot where it hurt oh so bad the week prior. I am not sure if they are connected or not.

Soups and brothy types of food seems soothe it best. I did crave oatmeal one day last week, which is odd for me. I ate tortilla soup last week and it helped it a little and now Im working on the beefless stew, which I made brothy too. I really wish the bloating would go away, well and the pain too. To my knowledge, there is no virus going around with symptoms like this, so I doubt its that. Other than the pain, bloating and rarely nauseousness, I have no other intestinal distress, leading me to think its not food "poisoning" or something bad I ate. Ive been on plan and eating from home....so I doubt its that.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Re: Severe stomach pains

Postby Starch Chick » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:03 pm

A friend of mine tried www.doctorondemand.com and was pretty happy with it.
A visit is $40

I have had severe pains in the past that felt like a knife to the chest and I got a prescription for hyoscyamine for it. Not sure if it would help for you or not?
.....Beth
"It's the food" - Dr McDougall
Starch Chick

Postby Debbie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:07 am

I think after getting ideas from another online source, I think it maybe my gallbladder causing me trouble. Now I just need to figure out how to keep it. :( I used to be whole but having had an ovary and recently my thyroid removed, I am not and I certainly dont want any more pieces and parts removed. Plus the only insurance we can afford we cant afford to actually use it.

My sister in law, 2 months ago, presented to the ER where for 2 days they thought was in cardiac arrest....ended up being her gallbladder. So its not completely out of possibility that my acute stomach pain is caused from my gallbladder and now that most of the pain has subsided, I can feel my gallbladder spasms.
Debbie

Postby Starch Chick » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:20 am

Well, I hope you start feeling better soon :)
.....Beth
Starch Chick

Postby Debbie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:53 am

I went to the doctors to get tested for H. Pylori and ended up in the ER yesterday. I was tested for pancreatitis, was not that as my pancreas is in perfect condition. They did an ultrasound and found gallbladder stones, but none were stuck or causing issues. The ER doctor thinks its and ulcer or ulcers and possibly caused H. Pylori, but they dont do the test in the ER...not sure why, but whatever. So for now, Im taking an acid blocker, pain medicine and mylanta and eating a very bland diet. Which really sucks, cause for the first time in years, I got a great harvest of homegrown tomatoes and I cant eat them now.
Debbie

Postby Bkworm » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:30 pm

First of all, I am not a physician, so just reporting what happened with me years ago. I started a vegetarian diet back in the 70s due to similar pains as you describe. When dealing with an attack I could stand up straight or lay down flat on my back and get some relief with a heating pad but could not sit or curl into a ball on my side. Tests determined gall stones but no blockages. Of course though, surgery was suggested but I refused and started a a low-fat vegetarian diet instead. At first I still experienced same symptoms but the longer I followed a vegetarian diet, the better I felt and the horrible pains stopped. After several years, I could actually eat some meat or dairy for a couple of days without experiencing any problems. Due to family circumstances, slowly allowed all the fatty foods back into my diet in small amounts. Then started with the gall bladder issues again.

I began this WOE in January 2013 and had experienced absolutely no problems with my gall bladder since that time. This WOE also keeps my RA in remission. Plus experiencing tremendous, slow, weight loss as a side affect, too. I have no intention of ever returning to a SAD way of eating.

Hopefully, this way of eating will be of help to eliminate your issues. The pain associated with the gall bladder attacks is some of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Take care of yourself.
Bkworm

Postby Starch Chick » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Debbie wrote:I went to the doctors to get tested for H. Pylori and ended up in the ER yesterday. I was tested for pancreatitis, was not that as my pancreas is in perfect condition. They did an ultrasound and found gallbladder stones, but none were stuck or causing issues. The ER doctor thinks its and ulcer or ulcers and possibly caused H. Pylori, but they dont do the test in the ER...not sure why, but whatever. So for now, Im taking an acid blocker, pain medicine and mylanta and eating a very bland diet. Which really sucks, cause for the first time in years, I got a great harvest of homegrown tomatoes and I cant eat them now.

Glad you got it checked out. Hope the meds are giving you some relief
.....Beth
Starch Chick

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:52 am

Beth,

She wound up having surgery. Her mom posted this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50070
VeggieSue

Return to Health Issues