What am I doing wrong?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What am I doing wrong?

Postby wattywatts » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:25 pm

A bit about me:
I'm 32 years old and 240 lbs. I have pretty high blood pressure when I'm not medicated, and have a mental condition called derealization. I was hoping the starch solution could help me a bit with all three problems (even one out of three would be nice). I've been a vegetarian for 29 years and more often than not I'm a total vegan.

I've been on the starch solution diet for just shy of a month now. I've been pretty careful about oils and fats, I've actually avoided all products with added oils. My diet has consisted of rice, beans, tofu, potatoes, oats, various vegetables of all colors and a bit of fruit. I stopped taking my blood pressure medication about a week in, and at first it seemed to be decreasing daily, to the point where I stopped checking for a few weeks and only rechecked it tonight.
It's currently 159/104 (I had to give in and resume medication after seeing that). I don't feel any sharper, mentally speaking. And I don't seem to have lost any weight.
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Does this diet actually work for everyone? Am I the one person who can't reap any benefits from it? It's very confusing and frustrating.
wattywatts

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Postby grid » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 am

Welcome aboard wattywatts :-D

It's difficult to say anything without knowing what you exactly consume (eat and drink) so I recommend you to start a journal where you write everything you put into your mouth (even the tiniest bit matters, no cheating ;-) ) and others can help you find out the culprits and how to improve your diet choices.

I don't know how much tofu you eat, but tofu is a very high fat food, so it might be better to skip it or eat it very rarely.

Let us know how you progress
grid

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:01 pm

My blood pressure barley budged until about 3 months into the diet. Eventually it went from something like 160/90 to about 110/70.

For me it seemed like strict adherence to no added fat. No high fat plant foods. No nuts. Also time and weight loss. But it came down eventually.

Salt is a trigger for some. Also Coffee. Although my BP seemed to stay about the same regardless of sodium intake.
EmmetFitzhume

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:55 am

Unfortunately, some people also don't see a huge drop till they get closer to their optimum weight. It may stay higher than you like till it suddenly falls like a rock at a certain weight point. Something to look for as you monitor your BP.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to Health Issues