Shannon's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Shannon's journal

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:40 pm

I'm making plans to transition back to this diet -- it's been a long time, but it worked well for me many years ago. First step, start thinking of easy tasty things to eat. Fortunately, I like most things, but I have trouble giving up fatty foods. I think I have to make it like a job -- take it seriously and do the work. My husband and I are both sick this week, so I'm thinking we'll start next week.

List of favorite foods:
Almost all fruits
Almost all vegetables
Potatoes and sweet potatoes
Gravy (fat-free ones are still delicious to me)
Vegan cheese sauce
Salad with balsamic vinegar
Most beans
Rice
Couscous
Pasta
Fresh salsa of all kinds
Shannon
Starting weight 10/22/23: 280
Started MWL 11/11/23, still at 280 lbs.
Last BP at the doctor 6/2/23: 143/84
Lipids 2/1/23: Chol 173; HDL 42; LDL 97 Triglyceride 168
letsfixmyheart

Re: Shannon's journal

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:13 am

Hey, you've got one heck of a list started there. Imagine all the yum you can fix with those ingredients ;)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:00 pm

Thanks!

Went shopping today for the coming week. Bought a bunch of potatoes and sweet potatoes, some fruits and veggies (including a bunch of frozen veggies for ease -- they were on sale for a dollar a bag).

I plan to keep it simple this week, still recovering from being sick. For dinner, I had a sweet potato, some mixed veggies, and a cucumber, and then a whole (small) honeydew that was amazingly sweet. We were eating a lot of fast and prepared food while we were sick, so it was SO GREAT to have some simple, wholesome food instead.

Plan for tomorrow:
Breakfast: oats, soymilk, and fruit
Lunch: compliant soup
Dinner: Sweet potato, veggies, and maybe salsa or some other topping
Snacks: air-popped popcorn, fruit, veggies, maybe some Well Your World cheese sauce if I feel like making it
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:17 pm

The week was about 50/50. Still a little sick, and definitely a spoiled baby about food when I'm tired. I know one of my big mistakes is not keeping easy food on hand, so one thing I did is buy a bunch of frozen veggies. Tomorrow I'll cook up some sweet potatoes and make a big bowl of pico, and maybe a batch of compliant cheese sauce. Just stuff I can throw together. Maybe some veggie burgers?
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:55 pm

This weekend I did some prep but not as much as I planned to. Tomorrow I'll make the pico that I planned to make, and roast the potatoes and sweet potatoes. But in the fridge, I have pumpkin puree, pumpkin/tofu/sweet potato soup, and rice, along with 3 days of oats with soymilk that I'll add fruit to each day, and a bunch of grapes and lots of veggies that I didn't get around to cutting up but hopefully will tomorrow. Since I'm going to really go full-fledged tomorrow, I will also start keeping an eye on my resting pulse so I will know when to reduce my beta blocker (I know Dr. McDougall usually halves it on day one, but I have a congenital condition that may always need it, so I'll take it slowly).

Oh, and there are carrots still growing in my garden, so I've been snacking on those, yum. (Yesterday, I ate a whole honeydew. I am lucky that I love fruits and veggies.)
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby SunshineDay » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:07 pm

How great that you are still eating carrots from your garden!!! Do you have any secrets to share for growing them? I tried sowing carrots in my garden this past spring and fall, but had terrible germination both times. Not giving up though -- going to try seeding them again next year (zone 5). In the meantime I'm still managing to harvest swiss chard, kale, parsley, and leeks. Lots of herbs still too, plus apples. The garden is the gift that just keeps on giving...! :D
SunshineDay

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:11 am

SunshineDay wrote:How great that you are still eating carrots from your garden!!! Do you have any secrets to share for growing them?

You may laugh, but I have been seeing a lot of Tik Toks about "chaos gardening" so this year I just tossed them in a garden box with a few pepper plants and a lot of marigold seeds and let them do their thing. Best carrot crop I've ever gotten. Also best chile crop. Hoping someday our young apple and apricot trees will produce. They're only a couple years old at this point, so fingers crossed.

-----

Did it take anyone else a lot of tries to finally go fully compliant? I am having a lot of starts and stops.

This morning, though, I was thinking about all the excuses I used to have for eating badly and realized none of them are true anymore. I have a job, so I have enough money to buy whatever food I need to buy, so I can't justify 49-cent ramen anymore. I have a husband who will cook and eat anything I want, as long as he can eat his hot dogs or whatever when he's in the mood (I never tell him what to eat), so I can't use roommates or my mom's reluctance to cook without oil as excuses. And I live in an area with a decent farmer's market, a good natural food store, and a big grocery with reasonable prices on veggies, beans, and grains. When I was young (I'm quite old now) I had to make my seitan from scratch, because the only store-bought near me was at the Adventist grocery and it was really expensive. Nowadays, just about any food I might want or need is at the Albertsons. No excuses!

So I went to the store with my husband and bought a ton of produce including lots of potatoes and sweet potatoes), some frozen oil-free potatoes, canned tomato products, soymilk (I may go back to making my own plant milks -- so much cheaper), and frozen veggies. My husband bought hot dogs and buns, lol.

On Sunday, we have a family dinner with our in-town family, and we rotate who gets to pick what I cook. I have been thinking about it, and I'm going to keep letting people pick. I like cooking for them and I don't want to alienate anyone, plus I don't really mind cooking meat and not eating it. But when it's my turn (there are 4 of us, so it's my turn every 4 weeks) I'm going to try to knock their socks off with compliant meals. Maybe as I start getting thinner and healthier, people in my family will start wanting to do what I'm doing -- that was the case long ago when my husband got on the bandwagon for a while because I was fixing my heart troubles with diet and exercise. Fingers crossed!

My plan for lunch is to eat some of the compliant chili my husband made for me last night that I wasn't in the mood for, over either potatoes or pasta, with a big salad. For dinner, I'm making a soy-free miso broth with noodles, mushrooms, kimchi, and bok choy. Both of those meals are things we both like. I will keep experimenting to find more, but here's a starter list of dinners we both like:

Vegan shepherd's pie (or sometimes just mashed potatoes and the gravy from that recipe, or the Well Your World mushroom gravy, which my husband likes more than I do)
Chili (he likes it more than I do) over potatoes or pasta
Ratatouille with potatoes
Kimchi soup with noodles or rice
Pasta with simple tomato sauce (he adds cheese; I never did even when I was eating meat)
Beans and rice (he especially likes it Louisiana-style with red beans and hot sauce; I never met a bean I didn't like)
Veggie sushi
Big salad -- sometimes I make a salad bar and include a couple items he wants but I don't (eggs, cheese, etc.) but I don't need to do that as he likes salad by itself, too, and doesn't complain if a few beans/seeds sneak in there.
Black bean enchiladas with green sauce and no cheese
Veggie soup, especially split pea or minestrone (the ones from one of the McDougall books -- super easy and comforting. We also love the Andersen's Split Pea recipe)
Potato soup -- I used to make it for him with bacon or ham. Now I just add some smoked paprika
Bean burritos (he adds cheese and/or rice; I just do beans and salsa)
The tahini rotini from fatfreevegan -- he says it really tastes like it has parmesan in it
Mezze plate (hummus, baba ganoush, pita bread, maybe some olives or cucumber slices, tomatoes, etc.)
Sometimes we have BLTs and I just leave off the B. Maybe it sounds boring, but I love a plain tomato sandwich if the tomatoes are good.
Baked potatoes with a variety of toppings salad-bar style

If anyone reads this, I'd really love some suggestions for foods your omnivore family likes.
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:51 pm

I just joined the MWL group, so I'm rewriting my list of favorite dinners to delete the ones that aren't MWL-compliant and specify whole-grain when applicable.

Vegan shepherd's pie (or sometimes just mashed potatoes and the gravy from that recipe, or the Well Your World mushroom gravy, which my husband likes more than I do)
Chili (he likes it more than I do) over potatoes or whole-grain pasta
Ratatouille with potatoes
Kimchi soup with whole-grain noodles or brown rice
Whole-grain pasta with simple tomato sauce (he adds cheese; I never did even when I was eating meat)
Beans and brown rice (he especially likes it Louisiana-style with red beans and hot sauce; I never met a bean I didn't like)
Veggie sushi with brown rice
Big salad -- sometimes I make a salad bar and include a couple items he wants but I don't (eggs, cheese, etc.) but I don't need to do that as he likes salad by itself, too, and doesn't complain if a few beans/seeds sneak in there.
Veggie soup, especially split pea or minestrone (the ones from one of the McDougall books -- super easy and comforting. We also love the Andersen's Split Pea recipe)
Potato soup -- I used to make it for him with bacon or ham. Now I just add some smoked paprika
The tahini rotini from fatfreevegan -- he says it really tastes like it has parmesan in it
Baked potatoes with a variety of toppings salad-bar style
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:53 pm

Day one is in the books. I am still using a food tracker (Noom) and I ate way fewer calories than usual without really trying. I don't love tracking, but it does keep me honest when I'm eating the standard American diet, and I have told myself that if I can go a month without deviating from my plan (which is to do 100% MWL with 4 exceptions, and do the closest I can at those times), then I can stop tracking.

(* 4 exceptions are immediate family birthdays, major food holidays (like, not Veterans' Day, but Thanksgiving and such), our weekly Sunday family dinner (but not all day -- just dinner), and when I'm on a road trip for work, which happens a handful of times per year and lasts 1 to 2 days each time. I will tackle those 4 times later; right now I'm figuring out how to eat at normal daily meals, both at home and at work,)
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Day two was okay. I may need to adjust how I think about Sundays. They've always been a free-for-all. Not sure how to move forward from that. Anyway, breakfast was great: veggie hash browns (no oil). Lunch was pretty good: I made oil-free mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy and my husband liked them, too. Then I started eating non-compliant food and basically didn't stop for the rest of the day. But now I'm eating a pear and tomorrow will be a non-holiday non-Sunday and all is fine.

Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm

I have a reminder on my phone every Sunday and Wednesday night to meal prep (Sunday for Mon/Tues/Wed and Wed for Thu/Fri). Tonight, I made three batches of overnight oats with more liquid than I usually use, to lower the calorie density. And I roasted sweet potatoes and made a big batch of pico, because one of my favorite compliant meals is to eat cold sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes) with pico on top. I also packed up the salad from dinner to have tomorrow -- I didn't dress it or put anything wet in there, so it should be fine for tomorrow. I'm already looking forward to my sweet potato meals. To me they're not diet food; they're just truly delicious.
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:03 am

Today I put a note in my Weight Tracker app that said "got serious." Let's see if I really do get serious. I really need to make this change and not goof around.
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:40 am

Just posted this to the MWL group:
I am inordinately excited today, mostly because of a mind shift. After you all encouraged me to include a little whole-grain pasta if that was making me sad, something clicked in me -- I don't need excuses to not eat what makes me feel best, I just need to find foods that will nourish and please me. Today I did pick up some brown rice pasta, but also some sweet potatoes, giant red beets, a delicata squash, and the hugest purple radish ever just because it was cool. I'm about to look up how long to steam gold potatoes in the Instant Pot so I can have them in the fridge to snack on -- I love cold potatoes or sweet potatoes with salsa on them. (Also bought some salsa. Last week I made some, but this week, I'm focusing more on getting a bunch of starches cooked.)

I need to get out of my head and keep myself from whining. I am not being deprived of anything; I'm challenging myself to find the healthiest choices that are also delicious to me. Not exactly a punishment.
Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby letsfixmyheart » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:56 pm

Feeling good about food today, and about my ability to turn my health problems around.

Breakfast: watermelon and an orange (wasn't very hungry)
Snack: a small bite of my daughter's fruit leather
Lunch: steamed potatoes, potato-based "cheese sauce" (no fat), steamed broccoli, salsa
Dinner: fat-free borscht, steamed potatoes and peas, "cheese sauce" and a banana
Snack: a whole cantaloupe

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. :)

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :) (Added a little salt to my "cheese" sauce, but not besides that.)

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)

6) Eliminate any added oil. :)

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Nope, took a bite of fruit leather without thinking. It was tiny, but still, gonna do better tomorrow.

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :)

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Took a nice walk with my husband, then another longer one later. Probably a total of an hour or hour and a half.

Shannon
letsfixmyheart

Postby Ejeff » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:43 am

Letsfixmyheart, gosh that “cheese” sauce looks so delicious. I think you have it exactly right you need to find the foods you enjoy most that are within the guidelines and enjoy them day after day. I can still recall very clearly when I first switched to eating only plants how excited I was. I was excited because I could really enjoy so much delicious food and at the same time lose weight and get healthier. It truly felt like I had made a discovery that was really too good to be true. Now, 9 years later I know it isn’t too good to be true it works exactly as it should. I carry no excess weight and live a mostly pain free life. I don’t think it can get much better than that.

In the meantime, many of my friends and relatives, continue to struggle with excess weight and the associated health issues that come with consuming animal products and oils. I cannot change those around me, but I can keep myself healthy and set a good example so that perhaps one day they too will understand what is possible in terms of diet and health.

Glad you have figured out the way forward, it will be great to read more about your success in the next while. :)

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals