Geroge's MWL Journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Geroge's MWL Journey

Postby George Ohwell » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:38 pm

July 1

JOURNAL:
This is my first day of MWL. I’d love to get your feedback! I am copying Mark Cooper’s journal style.
I’m very pleased with how the day went. I like this way of eating!
Beans give me a stomach ache.
I think I overate fruit during my afternoon snack. I need to learn how much to eat. I have to pay attention especially to WAIT until I’m hungry to eat, and then to STOP when I’ve clearly had enough—I have the habit to keep eating even when full.
Tomorrow I will be gone all day visiting family. My food is prepped and ready to go

QUESTIONS:
Are we supposed to limit fruits?
Is it okay to snack on fruits?
Is it okay to not eat beans?

EXERCISE:
Morning: 1 hour of exercises and stretches. afternoon: mowed lawn.

MEALS:
Breakfast: Oatmeal & fruit; cooked veggies, watermelon
Snack: carrots & bell pepper sticks
Lunch: cooked veggies, beans, fruit
Snack: frozen grapes and cherries—a bit too many I think
dinner: sweet potatoes, salad.

CONDIMENTS:
Salad dressing made from melon, basil, onion, blended.
Small amounts of salt added at table

A 10-POINT CHECKLIST FOR MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS (MWL)

10/10 today

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Yes
3. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes
5. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes
6. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes
7. Eliminate any added oil. Yes
8. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes
9. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes
10. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. No? I didn’t stuff myself. However I overate on fruit in the afternoon and wasn’t as hungry at dinner.
11. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes
George Ohwell

7/2/21 day 2

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:50 pm

the day went very well until I got home. I prepped all my food yesterday, travelled to see family today, ate my food, didn't overeat even when bored. then I got home to the package I ordered: sauces, dressings, and powders from Well Your World (Dillon Holmes). I ordered these before deciding to do MWL. I decided to try out the pancake mix. oops. it was hard to stop. this certainly reminds me why I want to do MWL. and unfortunately the sauces (ketchup, BBQ, sweet mustard dressing etc) taste a little too good too. I'm such a sugar addict. I think I do better with plain old fruits. okay, I will try to get back on track tomorrow. Interesting observation: SOS-free diets can be filled with date sugar and nutritional yeast (salt substitute). is that really better than some table sugar and salt? I have my doubts.
George Ohwell

Re: 7/2/21 day 2

Postby JeffN » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:22 pm

George Ohwell wrote: Interesting observation: SOS-free diets can be filled with date sugar and nutritional yeast (salt substitute). is that really better than some table sugar and salt? I have my doubts.

And fat, saturated fat & calorie dense.

Doubt no more…

https://hypnosishealthinfo.com/library/ ... ral-foods/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: 7/2/21 day 2

Postby George Ohwell » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:55 pm

JeffN wrote:
George Ohwell wrote: Interesting observation: SOS-free diets can be filled with date sugar and nutritional yeast (salt substitute). is that really better than some table sugar and salt? I have my doubts.

And fat, saturated fat & calorie dense.

Doubt no more…

https://hypnosishealthinfo.com/library/ ... ral-foods/

In Health
Jeff

Ah, thank you Jeff. That was VERY helpful. I also have issues with nuts, and especially with nuts and dried fruit.
George Ohwell

July 3 2021

Postby George Ohwell » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:14 pm

After experimenting yesterday with some WFPB pleasure trap foods, I thought, I should just eat fruits and veggies today, as a sort of cleanse or more likely desire to restrict calories, which has been my pattern over the years. If you are rolling your eyes right now, don't worry, I came to my senses. I want to do MWL as specified, based on decades of experience from the McDougall team working with countless clients. These guys know what they are talking about. I'm a fool to pass up this opportunity to get my disordered eating under control.

Once I came to my senses I followed the 10-point checklist, except for #2: my plate was starch & fruit heavy, with less veggies. I hope to improve on this tomorrow!
George Ohwell

July 4--still have work to do

Postby George Ohwell » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:43 pm

I ate the right kinds of foods today but not in the right amounts: too much fruit, too little starch. and I ate while doing food prep, and while not hungry. I will buy less fruit next time I shop. Tomorrow I will try to follow the 10-point checklist better.
George Ohwell

July 5

Postby George Ohwell » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Today I ate the right foods again but in the wrong ratios. This time too much starch, and lots of eating between meals when not hungry. I'll keep trying. I just need some practice.
George Ohwell

Re: July 5

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 am

George Ohwell wrote:Today I ate the right foods again but in the wrong ratios. This time too much starch, and lots of eating between meals when not hungry. I'll keep trying. I just need some practice.

Absolutely, this takes 'practice' and patience as we learn new behaviors, and reeducate ourselves as to what is healthy for our bodies. You are on the right track. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

July 6, 7, 8

Postby George Ohwell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:51 pm

3 days in a row, 10 for 10 on the MWL checklist. woo-hoo!
George Ohwell

Re: July 5

Postby George Ohwell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:52 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
George Ohwell wrote:Today I ate the right foods again but in the wrong ratios. This time too much starch, and lots of eating between meals when not hungry. I'll keep trying. I just need some practice.

Absolutely, this takes 'practice' and patience as we learn new behaviors, and reeducate ourselves as to what is healthy for our bodies. You are on the right track. Marsha

thanks for the encouragement!
George Ohwell

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals