Journal for Monkeys Mom

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Journal for Monkeys Mom

Postby MonkeysMom » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi, I just joined the MWL group and they suggest keeping a journal, so that’s what I’m going to do!

I am “mom” to an adorable, silly dog pit mix named Monkey. I currently weigh 172.4 and am 5’ 6.5” I had gastric bypass surgery about 5 years ago (at almost 300 lbs). Overall it’s been great but I become anemic frequently and my dietician is constantly telling me that I don’t eat enough protein.

Between a new, sedentary job and working from home due to the pandemic, I’ve put on about 35 lbs. But more importantly, my blood pressure has become high enough that my dr wants to put me on anti-hypertensive medication; I’m hoping that dietary changes will bring my BP down enough to avoid medication.

This week I’m planning on just incorporating more plant foods in my diet, figuring out what I can eat without getting dumping syndrome, finding foods I like, etc. I’ve signed up for PlantStock and plan to use that weekend to kick off the change for real!
MonkeysMom

Re: Journal for Monkeys Mom

Postby vegyluvver » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:34 am

Good job finding what works for you! We can do this!
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Re: Journal for Monkeys Mom

Postby MonkeysMom » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:59 pm

I’ve been experimenting this weekend with eating Various starches by themselves (No additional protein or fat) to see if they cause hypoglycemia Issues later (as a gastric bypass patient, I can Get dangerously low blood sugar several hours after eating certain foods).

I’m excited to say that three of my absolute favorites have not been a problem at all! Corn on the cob, Yellow potatoes (roasted on grill), and sweet potatoes (baked or roasted on grill). What’s more, these make terrific carry-along snacks since they don’t need to be refrigerated.

My Bariatric program’s RD would have a fit to hear of me eating starches alone but what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her, right?!

Unfortunately rice & oatmeal are a no go without significant protein and fat at the same time (legumes were insufficient) I not only got hungry really soon afterwards but it was that kind of weak-limbed, brain-foggy hunger that means my blood sugar is not in a safe range.

Still need to try some other grains and seeds like quinoa, boiled/steamed potatoes, and canned/frozen corn.

Oh, and even though I’m still in the “preparation /planning” phase, just by replacing some of the foods I had been eating With whole plant foods, I lost 0.8 LB this week!
MonkeysMom

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals