Trying to recover

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trying to recover

Postby vegyluvver » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you! That's good to know.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Day 9

Postby *Valerie* » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 pm

All of my symptoms continued yesterday with a few more added. The cough started, my headache got intense and I had waves of nausea all day. I also had a very upset stomach in the morning. I took advice from the covid centre and got tested again, hoping I willl test negative so I'll know I'm not infectious. I don't want to self-isolate again but I need to wait on the results. I do not feel tired though, so that's good.

So, the food:

Day 9
B - brown rice/black bean salsa*
L - brown rice/black bean salsa*
D - wholewheat pasta/sweet potato cheese sauce*/roasted broccoli
Dessert - oatmeal squares*/stewed apples/drizzle of agave syrup

I'm pretty sure the garlic in the salsa helped my sinuses, and I put some extra mustard in the cheese sauce to just try and taste something, better than salt, I figured. The food was good, satisfying.

I discovered a new benefit to this woe - my cat is no longer interested in my meals! Usually she tries to climb in my lap, mouth watering, making a nuisance of herself but lately, she doesn't even come to investigate when I start cooking food.

Keeping on going. :-D
*Valerie*

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:40 am

Hi Valerie,

What a read, scrolling through your journal. Too bad about those lingering Covid symptoms. Booooo Covid! But you seem to be in a calm frame of mind about it. I agree with all who say this is the food to eat for maximizing your health. As for windiness, your body will adjust and then you'll get bloaty and gassy when you eat dairy LOL

Keep up the consistency. It'll help with everything :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby *Valerie* » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:11 am

Hi bunsof aluminium, great to meet you. Yes, covid is a nighmare to try and deal with. You don't hear much about the long tail symptoms but there was a feature on the news about it the other day so people are becoming more aware. Things are easier now than they were in the beginning, when the symptoms return it's easier to get a test (need to check it's not a new infection), and I can access my doctor, and things like that. I feel looked after with it, so that's good.

Anyway, the food:

Day 10
B - oat pancake/cheese sauce*
L - brown rice/black bean salsa*/black eyed beans/lettuce/tomatoes/caesar dressing*
D - wholemeal pasta/cheese sauce*/roast potatoes
Snack - grapes/oatmeal square*

I tried the pancake recipe, 2 parts oats to 1 part wholemeal flour, pinch of salt, I used water instead of milk but both work, make it very wet then stir it up, cover over and soak for 30 minutes then dry fry. Mine were quite chunky and pretty yummy. I'm thinking I could add herbs and spices for different flavours, maybe smoked paprika and black pepper or something.

I had a craving last night for Walker's ready salted crisps. Obviously they are deep fried so I won't be eating them but I cooked up some potatoes, dry roasted then in the oven and served them with salt, usually I don't salt anything, and they were very good and satisfying. First craving since I started this woe and easily dealt with. Dinner last night was like vegan healthy mac and cheese with chips, so good.

When I woke yesterday my cough had settled and my throat was just a bit dry and scratchy but not painful. I had a look in the mirror, it's not red any more either. My headache had gone, brain fog gone, I can taste again. My test came back negative (took less than 24 hours, impressive!) so my plans for the weekend can happen, good news all round. I managed to do my work and started wondering if I'd imagined the whole thing; it can be a bit like that. No tiredness and in fact, I had a better sleep last night than I've had in a good long while. This is all good progress.

Onwards to another day.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Day 11
B - fruity oatmeal square*
L - brown rice/black bean salsa*/black eyed beans
D - wholewheat pasta/cheese sauce*/roast potatoes

I'm still shying away from green veg as my supplement has not arrived in the post yet. Last night's dinner was so good I had it again, no harm in repitition, right? I've always felt I 'should' make something different every day, yet eating repetitively on this plan is very satisfying. I ate a cheese sandwich every day for lunch for about 20 years. White bread, cheddar, mayonnaise, some salad sometimes and that was it. Makes no difference to change that to brown rice and salsa with tomatoes, peppers, onion, and beans. Just as yummy and I don't get an afternoon energy slump.

I'm also eating a lot. The more I eat, the better I feel. I used to have crackers and cheese for breakfast sometimes, cream crackers, butter, cheddar. When I think of it now, the volume was miniscule. It weighed practically nothing. That breakfast would set me up for grazing all day because my belly was not full. I'd be thinking about food constantly, not able to concentrate as I was hungry. I have never been so free of food thoughts in all of my adult life, have I finally satisfied my appetite? I'm possibly becoming a long term convert to this woe. I can't think of a single reason to go back, every day is a revelation.

Yesterday was symptom free and I had energy right into the evening, so went out for a walk to a local beauty spot. I'm now sleeping a lot better. I'd like to find a way back to my previous fitness but don't know how to do it without risking a relapse of exhaustion. Need to figure that out.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:32 am

Day 12
B - wholemeal pasta/brown rice/salsa/cheese sauce
L - brown rice/salsa
D - brown rice/soy sauce
Snacks - fruity oatmeal squares/oatmeal pancake/agave syrup/maize tortilla chips

So I ate all day long yesterday. Breakfast was a mish mash of leftovers then the exhaustion started mid-morning. No other symptoms, just exhaustion. I just seemed to be hungry all day, trying to get some energy, grazing constantly. I am craving salt, hence the tortilla chips that were not on plan but they were the lowest fat ones I could find and I just wanted a treat. It was a difficult day trying to work at home and not feeling great but I managed.

Given all the food I'm eating I thought I should check I'm not gaining weight. Turns out I've lost 3lbs! Bit of a shock, that one. I usually have 10 extra pounds hanging around so this weight loss is an unexpected bonus.

I'm visiting friends tomorrow and they'll be providing the food for lunch. They're usually healthy eaters, so there should be something for me to eat, but I'm not really sure how to manage it. I don't feel able to explain my new woe at the minute, I don't want to make things difficult. Any tips, anyone?

Onwards to another day.
*Valerie*

Re: Day 7

Postby Trish » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Valerie, I just have to tell you that your story and effort and honesty and perseverance have brought tears to my eyes even reading your journal. I can't tell you why exactly, except the combination of all those things, all of which I admire. This.. change... is big. And worth it. But you know that already ;)

Not to talk about myself other than to say that I came into McDougall about 6 years ago and it was a whole different WOE for sure, though I was at the time, vegan (still am) due to a heart condition my husband had that we have reversed eating this way.. no sign of it at all, and he is in his early 70's. I know this path, and I fall off too, less than ever, with things like commercial veggie cheese.. omg, all fat and salt, an addictive nightmare.

I see that you worry about what it will be like when this pandemic is under control again... well first it will be awhile so it seems more and more, at least into the middle of next year. Second, is that your taste buds will change as mine have, let go of worrying about the future that is not here, let your mind, body and spirit adjust to the changes as they come about with this WOE and let that guide your decisions. I am still at times tempted, and at times I do what is not my usual way like with the cheese, sometimes vegan coconut ice cream at a party (as you can here.. sweet and fat all the way!) And then get back on.

That is one thing I learned here among others, that not only do starches work but when I eat something completely without starch or fiber and only sweet and fat :? I can start over at the very next bite or meal. Not "tomorrow", now.
And avoid situations that will take away my choices with environment or desire. We are all vulnerable to that.\

A few of your questions: what helps flatulence for me is (1) Chewing exceptionally well, especially beans and high fiber veggies (2) Beano - which has natural ingredients for reducing gas especially in the transition

With friends, I will say something like "I wanted to let you know that I'm dealing with several health issues/stomach issues, whatever... and so I need to stay clear of oil and fats. Been eating potatoes, rice, fruit, veggies mostly"
I am specific. Then say esp if good friends, "And I am happy to (bring a salad for everyone) and that would be good for me too!"
Something like that, will usually do it. Makes it clear, suggests that it's longer term, necessary and offers to take it off of their hands if need be. Often they will say, well what about a baked potato..

I'll stop back.. I really want to listen to your journey! Sorry for taking up so much space.

I am currently in the MWL group, 11 lbs to drop as of today's weigh in :-D

Take care.. this WOE heals.
Trish

*Valerie* wrote:It was the final day of my first week and I'm reviewing how it's gone. First, the food:

Day 7
B - baked potatoes/soy sauce
L - brown rice/nutritional yeast/lettuce/tomato/caesar dressing*
D - baked potatoes/sweet potato cheese sauce*/black eyed beans/sweetcorn
Snack - blueberry muffins*

I went out to our local health food shop and picked up a few things for baking. Even their organic sultanas had oil (it was organic though!) I managed to get some dates without oil so I can use them for sweetening baking.

I have no idea if I'm supposed to be introducing foods like agave at this point but it was the weekend and I fancied a sweet treat. The muffins tasted delicious but the texture was odd, probably because I forgot to put the egg replacement in and had to pull them back out of the oven (after 20 seconds) to add it. Its all learning, right? :oops:

Reviewing how my first week gone:

Pros
I definitely have more energy than this time last week.
My skin has improved.
I'm back into cooking after throwing ready meals in the oven for the last 4 months.
I don't have huge food cravings.
My mood has improved.
I'm getting active again.

Cons
I have had terrible wind after eating split peas. The greens are also causing this problem, it's not good but I don't know what to do.
This woe feels extreme and I'm not sure about the sustainability after lockdown.
Um...that's all.

I'm going to keep going for another week and see what happens. I'll maybe research vegetables that are easier to digest. Will my body get used to this given more time?
Trish

Postby *Valerie* » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:11 am

It's good to meet you Trish and thanks for commenting on my diary. It sounds like you and your husband have been through a lot; how great that you're both doing this woe together? 6 years, wow, that's what I need to hear, that this is possible in the long term and that if curing a heart condition is possible then perhaps I can get rid of this virus. So impressive, well done.

I particularly apreciate your advice about taking each day/moment as it comes. It's so true, none of us know what the future will hold, about the virus or special occasion meals that will be difficult, or anything else. One day at a time is all I've got, need to remember that.

I have been thinking about how my life used to be, popping out for a sandwich, ordering takeaway at home, going out for a pub meal, glass of wine with friends. I just don't know how I'll manage but agree it may be some time 'til those options are available.

The MWL plan sounds really quite severe to me, how are you getting on with it? I've just lost 3lbs on the ordinary plan, does that not work for people with lots of weight to lose too? I don't quite understand the need to limit fruit to 2 pieces a day, etc, but I am a newbie here and guess I don't need to understand. I'm just glad for the lack of obsessive food thoughts and happy to follow the instructions.

Anyway, the food:
Day 13
B - fruity oatmeal squares*/lettuce/tomatoes/caesar dressing*/beans
L - oatmeal pancake/black bean salsa*/lettuce/tomato/caesar dressing*
D - baked potato/humous*/lettuce/tomato/caesar dressing*
Snack - apples

Obviously I love the caesar dressing despite never having eaten mustard much. When I bought this jar for the dressing recipe I labelled it 'use by 6th September', fully expecting it to still be sat in my fridge in 2 months' time. It didn't even last 2 weeks! I also completely underestimated how many potatoes I'd eat and had to go out and buy more today. Our grocery bill has plummeted, another unexpected bonus, despite the top up shops because I've got the amounts wrong. Guess I'll learn.

I felt well all day, no symptoms, no exhaustion, no problems. Onwards to another day.
*Valerie*

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:03 pm

I think MWL is there for people who aren't losing weight on the regular McDougall Program. If you're doing well on McDougalling, I don't see any reason to be stricter.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby *Valerie* » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:53 pm

vegyluvver wrote:I think MWL is there for people who aren't losing weight on the regular McDougall Program. If you're doing well on McDougalling, I don't see any reason to be stricter.

Thanks for clearing that up Val, appreciated. I did wonder if there was another reason or if MWL was something I should be doing, but it seems I'm doing the right thing. If I gain weight, I might try and switch but at the moment it's all good. :D

Day 14
B - baked potatoes/soy sauce
L - baked potato/lettuce/tomato/carrot/sultana/humous/vegan mayo/beetroot
D - wholemeal bread/peanut butter

So I went to my friend's for lunch and had a great time. It would have been a buffet, except for social distancing and handling of food so we had a choice of regular summer buffet things like quiche, potato salad, baked potatoes and so on, with my friend plating up the food with gloves and bringing it to us in the garden. I think not seeing the food until it arrived probably helped me to stay mostly on plan. The bulk of my meal was baked potato with lettuce, tomato and balsamic vinegar. The carrot and sultana was made into a salad, (I didn't check if the sultanas had oil) the vegan mayo was nasty (not something I will try again and also probably had fat in) the humous was regular so full of fat and delicious. The meal was good and I didn't look like a weirdo. :lol: I'd also filled up before I went with a late brunch so was not ravenous when I got there. I thought I did well staying vegan and mostly clean, with those small exceptions. We got home so late it was then toast and peanut butter before bed.

I felt incredibly sad when I got home, not only because I don't see my friends as much as I want to just now but because of the state of things, no end in sight, I felt tired which didn't help but also upset that I caught this virus at all, and just miserable really. Feeling better this morning.

I've now had 2 whole weeks on this plan. I'll maybe review after a month, that'll give me more time to see how I get on out in the world on this plan, it's easy enough at home but not confident elsewhere. Yesterday was a good start though.

I've also decided to start a proper exercise plan. I need to at least figure out what I can do and not do, and build up to how I was before the virus. I've been going for walks but they're mostly a 30 minute dawdle, not exactly a workout. I don't know whether it's lockdown or having been ill that's made me so sedentary. Need to change that.

Hope everyone has a great day.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Day 15
B - brown rice/humous/peppers/tomato
L - brown rice/humous/peppers/tomato
D - Wholewheat pasta/cheese sauce*/lettuce/tomato/beetroot

I stayed on plan, went out for a 30 minute walk in the morning and felt pretty good all day. Not much else to report. Hope everyone is doing good. :-D
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:15 am

Day 16
B - brown rice/humous/tomato
L - brown rice/humous/tomato
D - mashed potato/sweetcorn/gravy*
Dessert - dates/sultanas

Yesterday was such a good day, my energy levels were great, I was symptom free, out and about running chores, did some work in the afternoon and basically I felt like I did before the virus. I'm SO hopeful the worst is over and there might not be another relapse.
*Valerie*

Postby *Valerie* » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:42 pm

Day 17
B - Brown rice/soy sauce
L - brown rice/tomatoes/lettuce/humous*
D - baked potato/lettuce/tomato/humous*
Snack - apples/dates

Day 18
Brunch - brown rice/humous/tomatoes
D - wholewheat pasta/cheese sauce*/tomatoes
Snack - muffin/dates

2 days worth of food reporting, its been a bad couple of days, no symptoms but no energy either. disappointed but keeping on going. I slept away the afternoon both days. Also had a rash on my face that came and went in 24 hours. Maybe that was a symptom, I don't know.

I heard Dr McDougall say that 4 months on this woe will fix most things, or at least get rid of the worst of the symptoms. I am staying optimistic. Hopeful today will be better.
*Valerie*

Postby squealcat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:12 am

Valerie, I have read your journal and am so sorry that this Covid virus has hit you so hard ! I know someone who had Covid back in March and is still suffering with the symptoms you describe along with chest pain. He can have 3 days feeling great, thinking he is all done with it and then he has a bad day with shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of taste, fatigue. He has had a ton of tests on his heart and lungs but all have come back normal. So hard !

It sounds like you are getting to know Dr McDougall's program well and have a good start. Keep up the good work !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Just popping in to say Hi, Valerie.

I had no idea Covid hung around so long 'afterwards'. We have not had much to do with it here (New Zealand) apart from the fact we can no longer travel overseas. I'm so sorry it is still bothering you after all this time. Hopefully this way of eating will help you recover faster.

I just wanted to cheer you on, say don't worry about future eating. Its virus time now so life is different. take advantage. And afterwards you can simply say "the virus left me with a few issues and I need to be very careful about what I eat now. Can I bring a dish to share?" I have friends who have a serious genetic condition on one side and FODMAPs diet on the other. We are McDougall. So we meet up (no covid here) and we each bring our own food, with a list of ingredients. Sometimes we can share and sometimes not, but it doesn't matter. We gather, and eat and have fun with no food worries.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals