Laura's 10-point checklist

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Laura's 10-point checklist

Postby laura_delao » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:37 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :)
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)
6. Eliminate any added oil. :)
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cry:
8.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :cry:
laura_delao

Re: Laura's 10-point checklist

Postby laura_delao » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:51 pm

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Except breakfast
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :)
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :)
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :)
6. Eliminate any added oil. :)
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :cry: greatly reducing
8.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. :-D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :cry:

138.6 lbs. (-1.4 lbs)
laura_delao
laura_delao

Postby laura_delao » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 pm

Weight change: -0.6
Current weight: 138
Initial weight: 140.6

. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Except breakfast
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Done
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Done
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Done
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Done
6. Eliminate any added oil. Done
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. No bread only corn tortillas
8.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Done
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Done
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Not done

laura_delao

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:37 am

Hi! I just wanted to remind you - if you would like your weigh-in to be included in the weekly summary, be sure to post your report in the July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group.
Mark Cooper

Postby laura_delao » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Hi! I just wanted to remind you - if you would like your weigh-in to be included in the weekly summary, be sure to post your report in the July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group.

Thank you Mark for the feedback. I thought that's what I had done. I'm still trying to navigate all the different sections.
laura_delao

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:07 pm

I'll go ahead an include the report you posted here in your journal for my weekly summary and replies. To find the MWL weigh-in group thread, starting from the main discussion board index page, scroll down and click "Maximum Weight Loss Program." The group thread for reporting and questions will be a few posts down from the top, titled "July 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group." You can save it as a bookmark.
Mark Cooper

Postby laura_delao » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:18 pm

6-30-20: 140.2
7-1-20:140.6
7-3-20: 138.6
7-10-20: 138.0 -0.6
7-17-20 137.6 -0.4

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Except breakfast. I enjoy having a pot of soup in the fridge that lasts for 3 days.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. With all the extra selection of fruit, I am eating more fruit than usual.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Omitting cooking with salt and adding it on the table.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Done
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). On the weekends I have half an avocado and tofu scramble for breakfast.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Ate once at a restaurant and ate one roll and one hush puppy.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Eliminated corn tortillas. Ate four crackers with my soup.
8.Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Reducing milk on oatmeal.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Eating less.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Walked three days. Did some push ups against a bench, sit ups and lounges during the walk.

I enjoy reading and learning from other people's posts. It's wonderful to be amongst people on the same journey. I was not aware of this group. It would've made my journey easier and shorter. I've been mostly on my own because even though many people I know are overweight and sick and complain constantly, none has been willing to join me. I've benefited from all the free materials and youtube conferences by all the plant based doctors and the recipes in their websites, as well as the documentaries on Netflix. What the Health got me started in 2017 and 35 pounds down later, I am here, grateful for al the selfless help offered. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this. Much appreciated. An added benefit has been my husband's weight loss sinceI started this program. He has lost almost 4 lbs.
laura_delao

Postby laura_delao » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 pm

6-30-20: 140.2
7-1-20:140.6 -0.4
7-3-20: 138.6 -2.0
7-10-20: 138.0 -0.6
7-17-20 137.6 -0.4
7-24-20 136.2 -1.4

I made a "report card" with the checklist. Put the checklist in a spreadsheet, copied it three times, one below the other, to help me track breakfast lunch and dinner. And then added columns for the 7 days of a week and one more for comments. Wow! It was like having a magnifying glass and it sure pointed out problem areas. Breakfast is my most non-compliant meal of the day. We eat out on the weekends and I treat myself to pancakes with chocolate chips and syrup :( I had recently discovered a recipe by Chef Bravo for oatmeal where he makes a very flavorful "syrup", putting half water half juice, with cinnamon, anise seed and clove and adds dried fruit, nuts and fresh fruit. And it's been the only way I can stomach oatmeal, it tastes like dessert, so I will be cleaning it up a bit to fit MWL.. I had a green smoothie twice for breakfast with kale, tomato, zucchini, carrots, green apple and pineapple with water. I drink it while I work and it lasts me 3-4 hours, until lunch. Lunch and dinner are pretty much the same because it's the leftovers from the previous night. On Sunday I made udon noodles with vegetables and used soy sauce and stuffed myself (trying to use up stuff in the pantry). I also made a pasta salad with some mayonnaise (also trying to use up things already in the fridge). I was able to walk five days and worked hard in the garden. It was a humbling experience. I really believed I was more compliant. So thankful for all the feedback from Mark, Jeff and Wildgoose and for all the
laura_delao

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals