Val's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Val's journal

Postby vegyluvver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am

Blood sugar on waking was 91. Probably can stop checking it every morning while I'm eating this way.

Plan for day 5 is the usual oatmeal breakfast, soup for lunch, and beans and rice and greens for dinner. I have plenty of veggies, fruits, and cold steamed potatoes if I need snacks.

Got a surprise call in to work while I was eating breakfast. In the past that would have derailed me, but because I prepared for the day yesterday, I already had steamed potatoes in the drawer, so I packed them, a banana, and a can of tomato juice and ran off to work. I ignored my urge to drive through someplace after work.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal like always
Lunch: steamed potatoes, tomato juice, banana
Dinner: rice, beans, veggies, salsa. Diet sparkling water. Was still hungry, so I had a little more rice with a little soy sauce

Had a lot of joint pain today, but I walked more than I'm used to. Also hoping my oily skin will clear up after I regain my health.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm

I didn't post yesterday because I was super busy, but I stayed on track

Breakfast: same as always, blueberry oatmeal
Lunch: rice, beans, veggies
Dinner: rice, beans, veggies, soy sauce
Snack: cantaloupe, low-sugar boba
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Today's plan is rice and veggies until I run out of rice. :-)

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal as always
Lunch: rice and veggies and soy sauce
Snack: diet sparkling water, low-sugar boba, super easy pumpkin soup, a whole pint of grape tomatoes -- I'm very snacky today!
Dinner: rice with onions, spinach, garlic, soy sauce and basil

I'm not going to buy more low-sugar boba when I run out, but I have noticed it's tasting sweeter to me, so I may just toss it.

I don't know exactly how many days in a row this is, but I think 5 or 6 and I'm proud of myself for finding a routine that works for me. Basically, I cook a big mess of starch in the evening and eat it the next day until it's gone.

Oh, and I checked. It's day 7, yay!
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:46 pm

Plan for tomorrow is potatoes. I have fresh, frozen, and dried. The air-fryer makes it pretty quick and easy to make potatoes in a hurry.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 am

I guess today is day 8? Something like that. Not really feeling any difference physically yet, but I have a lot of ailments to overcome. Emotionally, though, I feel so much better.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal of course
Lunch: steamed potatoes with Fox Point seasoning; grapes; a pickle
Snack: low-sugar boba (but too much of it)
Dinner: potato salad (cold steamed potatoes, onions, oil-free dressing)
Snack: tomato and red pepper with the good balsamic, potato with sugar-free ketchup, orange

Tomorrow's the first weigh-in after a week of actually sticking mostly to the diet. I can see looking at my meals for the week that I need to cut out the boba and switch to water or even soup. I'm off now to toss it in the trash.

I have not given into the temptation to weigh myself all week. I have no idea what my result will be. It's like a game show, except I have been working at this, not just spinning some lucky wheel.
Last edited by vegyluvver on Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:23 am

vegyluvver wrote:I signed up for the July MWL thread.

How you doing on MWL? I recommitted to them last July; they work. Yes it takes some time to readjust, relearn and find the combinations that work for you. I highly recommend #1 guideline; eat soup and/or salad as part of your first meal of the day. Also, you don't have to have 'oatmeal' for breakfast. Eat what you like (that is MWL compliant). I often had my veggie chili for breakfast, sometimes as a topping to a baked potato. What starches have you found that work for you? For me, potatoes! Sometimes my dinner is a couple of potatoes, mashed, to which I add other veggies I have on hand, usually peas and corn, sometimes some beans, sometimes some sauteed collard greens. Simple food, easy and good.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby vegyluvver » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:19 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
vegyluvver wrote:I signed up for the July MWL thread.

How you doing on MWL?

Great; thanks for asking! It's taking some getting used to avoiding flour and stuff like tortillas, but there's still a lot of good stuff, so I'm not having a hard time so far.

deweyswakms wrote:I recommitted to them last July; they work. Yes it takes some time to readjust, relearn and find the combinations that work for you. I highly recommend #1 guideline; eat soup and/or salad as part of your first meal of the day.

Yeah, I did that for the first few days and then got a little sloppy about it. I can tell it will do me good to make that a priority.

deweyswakms wrote:Also, you don't have to have 'oatmeal' for breakfast.

I love my blueberry oatmeal and you're not gonna take it from me. :-) Seriously, I'm so happy to have a breakfast I like that's completely compliant, so I'm sticking with it, especially since it means I don't have to think when I first get up. :-)

deweyswakms wrote:Eat what you like (that is MWL compliant). I often had my veggie chili for breakfast, sometimes as a topping to a baked potato. What starches have you found that work for you?

Most of them I like. Just not quinoa, which I hate (and which I guess is a seed anyway). I have been just picking a starch to cook in the evening to eat through the next day and that's working for me. Last night, I steamed a bunch of new potatoes in the Instant pot. Today, I had potatoes and grapes for lunch, and potato salad (potatoes, onions oil-free dressing) for dinner. Tomorrow I plan to cook up another pot of soup; I do better when there's soup around!

deweyswakms wrote:For me, potatoes! Sometimes my dinner is a couple of potatoes, mashed, to which I add other veggies I have on hand, usually peas and corn, sometimes some beans, sometimes some sauteed collard greens. Simple food, easy and good.

Good luck, Marsha

Thank you so much! We'll see how it goes on tomorrow's weigh-in. I had some false starts; this is my first week of being compliant every day.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 am

Weight is 318.4 today, so the same as last week. I did have to eat at bedtime, which I don't usually do, but I'm also looking at my food logs. Too much boba, too high a ratio of starch in my meals. Moving on! Today's plan is a big pot of pumpkin soup and then some brown rice and veggies.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal, was there any doubt?
Snack: cold steamed potatoes with oil-free dressing
Lunch: veggie soup, grapes
Dinner: peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey, tomato juice
Snack: popcorn with butter, toast with jam and butter

I had a little dietary tantrum. It only lasted about an hour and then I snapped out of it.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Working this weekend so I'm keeping it simple.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal (I know, shocking)
Lunch: leftover veggie soup, cherries, low-sugar boba (my last one! I'm drinking it a little at a time)
Snack: the last of my boba :-(
Dinner: noodles and veggies, 50/50
Last edited by vegyluvver on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Sat Aug 1, 2020

I thought I read that you didn't like oatmeal, maybe it was cooked oatmeal. I do love (cooked) oatmeal too; don't have it every day, sometimes I have it for the last meal of my day. I always add ground flax seed, hemp hearts and blueberries to mine, plus almond milk. Overnight oats is also fun to do.

You said too had too much starch. Hmm, Have you read The Starch Solution? I eat a lot of starch (potatoes, rice, beans etc). I eat till I'm full and don't think about calories or ratios. Dr. McDougall has some videos explaining starches.

One of my favorite simple meals is mashed potatoes to which I add other veggies such as peas, corn, and carrots.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 pm

I seem to only like oatmeal cold, not sure why. And I eat a lot of starch, but in Maximum Weight Loss, Dr. McDougall recommends 1/3 to 1/2 of the plate veggies to reduce calorie density.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby vegyluvver » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 pm

Woke up at 4am from a blood sugar crash. I have now set an alarm to remind me to eat an hour before bedtime.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal
Snack: unsweetened black tea
Lunch: soup, then potatoes with ketchup and veggies 50/50
Snack: raw veggies and a little sweet hot mustard
Dinner: Mac and bean "cheese" and broccoli casserole, diet sparkling water
Will eat some more casserole at 9. Bedtime is at 10.
Last edited by vegyluvver on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby Malva » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 pm

vegyluvver wrote:Woke up at 4am from a blood sugar crash. I have now set an alarm to remind me to eat an hour before bedtime.

Breakfast: blueberry oatmeal
Snack: unsweetened black tea
Lunch: soup, then potatoes with ketchup and veggies 50/50
Snack: raw veggies and a little sweet hot mustard

Oh dear, sorry that happened to you. Are you feeling better now?
Malva

Postby vegyluvver » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Yes, thank you so much! I felt oogy all morning but I'm fine now.
Val in SoCal
vegyluvver

Postby *Valerie* » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 am

Hi Val

Glad to hear you're on a streak just now - great! :-D Well done!
*Valerie*

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals