tina's weight loss journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: tina's weight loss journey

Postby tinathescreamer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:31 am

The Now You See Me Now You Don't Pound has vanished again. My scale is very old and I don't think it's very accurate. I need a digital one but can't get it atm.
I am back on the coffee. I used to think sugar was the hardest thing to give up but this time it hasn't been a problem; a carrot is sweet enough. But I've tried to kick caffeine so many times. In summer I just drink lots of water but when the days grow short and dreary I crave stimulation in my mouth. I don't care for hot water or herb tea and regular tea gives me constipation. At least I am drinking a lot less now and much weaker - 14 cups a day of strong coffee at my most addicted. If I can keep my consumption down it might be ok but if it shoots up again I'm better off cutting it out completely.

B. oatmeal, apple, banana
L. Garbanzo Salad. bell pepper, tomato, celery, corn
D. Curried split pea soup, potato, carrot, celery, leek. I made the mistake of putting in lemon juice at the start of cooking instead of just before the end and they took ages to cook
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 am

I have so much time at the moment there is no excuse for not exercising. I have walked for 30 minutes every day this week. Tomorrow's forecast is for rain, so I guess I'll be stepping on and off the bottom stair. I looked for a You Tube exercise video the worked the upper body, but all the movement jar my sore arm and shoulder.
I got an eflyer saying my (former) favorite frosted buns are on sale, but I wasn't tempted to buy any. I haven't been in the bread aisle for 3 weeks. This is a big deal because I was raised on my mother's homemade bread and have always been a big eater of it. We will see how I cope when social life can begin again and temptation is constantly under my nose.
My food still tastes bland without added salt. I can't get canned beans without added salt, so I drain and rinse them and don't put salt on the cooked dish. Still can't get any flavor. I have made curry a few times; that seems ok, also dishes with added lemon juice.

B. oatmeal, apple, banana. This has become my go to meal in the morning
L. ww pasta, peas, cabbage, carrots. The ww pasta is 3 times the price of the cheap white I used to buy, but I eat much less of it.
D. rice, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, broccole. I found another jar of peanut butter lurking in the back of the pantry and, even tho it isn't compliant, put a spoonful in to thicken the sauce. It tasted so rich! It's 3 hours later and I still feel full.

The coffee seems to act as an appetite suppressant. I have one weak cup after each meal and it keeps me going till the next meal - no snacks! I will finish what I have anf then try switching to decaf.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:25 am

Raining, so I walked up and down the stairs 10 times, hanging on to the handrail for balance. I also did a few squats and leg lifts. I should have some hand weights around somewhere. I can't lift with my left arm so if I use them I'll wind up with one firm shapely arm and the other flabby and underdeveloped! Would you believe I did martial arts 30 years ago. How did I let myself get into such bad shape?
I notice my face is feeling drier and less greasy to the touch. :-D

B. oatmeal, banana, apple
L. potatoes, cabbage, carrots
D. rice, lentils, celery, broccoli
tinathescreamer

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 am

tinathescreamer wrote:I haven't been in the bread aisle for 3 weeks. This is a big deal because I was raised on my mother's homemade bread and have always been a big eater of it.
My food still tastes bland without added salt.

You reminded me how much I love fresh bread (ok with butter and jam), and that's why I dare not have it. Because I can't have 1 slice, ha! Store-bought bread doesn't tempt me at all. And I want the weight loss more.

Do you have a selection of herbs and seasonings? My new favorite one is a ginger/turmeric/curry. I do use a little salt and pepper. Good tip about using peanut butter to enrich soups! I will try that.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:26 am

Kia ora Marsha.
Mom baked whole wheat bread which was very filling. The stuff in the supermarket is so puffed up with water and air I can eat a whole loaf in a day. Cutting it out has made a big difference.
I'm getting low on herbs and spices and the Indian mart where I buy them is closed for the duration of the shutdown. I have thyme, basil, ginger and cinnamon. Today I tried making saag aloo with cumin and coriander, but no garam masala. It wasn't authentic, but it tasted ok. However, I cheated and put in a can of peas with added salt, after draining and rinsing. I couldn't taste any salt.

B. apple, banana rice with a spoonful of peanut butter
L. carrots, cabbage, ww pasta. Tempted to smother this in tomato sauce but I only put on a little bit.
D. saag aloo with peas.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:29 am

I have lots of time for home cooking atm, but with the restrictions likely to be eased next week that's not going to be the case, so thinking about how I'm going to handle my meals when things get busy. Also I've been reading the threads on simplifying and less variety, so I'm thinking the same meals everyday would be the easiest way to go. I'm planning on oatmeal, apple and banana for breakfast, maybe swap the banana for a kiwi or some berries if it's too much starch. Lunch would be potato, cabbage and carrot soup with a touch of nooch. For dinner I'd alternate days of rice and lentils, or beans and pasta, with veggies. I'd get some variety by having a different sort of bean and veg each week. And I'll meal prep the night before so I'm not tempted by non compliant foods knowing I have food all ready to go when I get home. I find my meals filling and I don't snack between atm as I don't want to get into the habit when there may not always be siutable snacks available. I'll have the weekends for experimenting with different dishes.
I'm quite pleased with this plan. I think it'll work.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:51 am

So today it was announced that Level 4 restrictions will continue for another week, followed by at least 2 weeks of Level 3. So things not back to normal any time soon. I'm disappointed but I guess better safe than sorry. I didn't exercise today and spent much of the time in bed. When all this is over I'm going to go for a long walk on the beach and smell the salt and feel the wind in my hair. Till then I'll try to make myself keep trotting round the neighborhood.

B. oatmeal with banana and apple. I cooked them in the oatmeal with cinnamon. Still needs a pinch of salt to my taste.
L. soup with potato, corn, celery and leek.
D. rice and lentils with steamed chard.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:36 am

Walked round the block for 30 mins. Haven't checked my weight since Friday; I'm wondering if I should weigh once a week or every day. Doesn't feel like there'll be much of a loss this week; loads of fiber going in but nothing coming out! Need to drink more water. Also I've been eating some concentrated foods; for breakfast I had popcorn and for lunch I made a vegan cheese sauce with nooch, nonfat soy milk and a spoonful of cornstarch. I must stick to the plan more closely.

B. popcorn, apple, banana
L. potatoes, carrot, cabbage, vegan cheese sauce
D. pasta, red kidney beans, tomatoes, celery, onions
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:39 am

I have been reading the thread on less variety. I am cutting back on the variety of veggies I have with each meal; made on the formula of 'a grain, a bean, a green', and eating more of the few types I do have. I am finding with less salt the blandness makes me want to eat less. One plateful is enough.

B and L. same as yesterday. I popped 2 tablespoonsful of dry popcorn which makes 3-4 cups and fills me up nicely until lunchtime.
D. rice, lentils, onions, chard.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 am

My coffee consumption is up again. I've been regularly drinking 5 cups a day; today I cut it back to 4 and tomorrow I'll have 2, then one a day for a couple days then cut it out completely. A cup after each meal seems to act as an appetite suppressant till my next meal - I was at my skinniest when I was drinking 14 cups a day; I'll try brushing my teeth and drinking lots of water instead. I cannot be moderate with my use of caffeine; either none or nonstop, so I can't keep it in the house. :twisted:

B and L. same as last 2 days
D. pasta and beans, tomato, bell peppers
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:33 am

SW 198 lb
GW 160 lb, Ideal 150
CW 189 lb
Lost so far 9 lb. 29 to go

Meals were the same as Wed, and also I had a cracker - just one! It was soooo salty. Plus I had 3 cups of weak coffee. Try to do only 2 tomorrow.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:36 am

Only 2 cups of coffee today.
B, and L. same as yesterday
D. I cooked and mashed some potato and pumpkin, then sauted some onion and grated zucchini in water with curry powder. I'm getting the hang of sauteing in water and it actually tastes a little fatty. I combined the lot with half a cup of oatsl, formed it into patties and baked them at 350 degrees for 20 mins each side. They were good; I had 4 with some steamed brocolli. I'll eat the rest tomorrow.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:06 am

2 cups of coffee today. Had a can of baked beans in tomato sauce for lunch. It was so sweet my teeth nearly fell out. :eek:
We had chat following this morning's Zoom service. People were showing all the goodies they'd baked to go with their coffee and complaining their clothes had shrunk. Sunday morning after church is always my most tempting time with all the homebaked cookies. Hopefully by the time services start again my good habits will be established.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:21 am

Kia ora Serene. I'm hoping my taste buds will have adjusted so all the sinful foods taste too sugary, salty and fatty.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:30 am

3 cups of coffee today, the last one stupidly drunk at 8 pm so I can't sleep.
Still not sure I'm letting hunger be my guide. I like fresh cooked meals and don't like eating leftovers so I finish everything I've cooked for each meal. It seems to fill me up that I don't snack between meals or after dinner. If I want to eat I have a glass of water and go do some knitting or go for a walk to distract myself. Still losing weight so I'm certainly not overeating; I really shouldn't worry about it.

B. banana, pumpkin, oatmeal
L. potatoes, carrot, cabbage
D. rice, lentils, brocolli
tinathescreamer

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals