Mutual Accountability

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mutual Accountability

Postby SilverDollar123 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks Buns For Starting this! Especially around the holidays. I'm in!
Need to lose at least 10 lbs.that has crept up! :angry:
Weight today 150.
Breakfast- Oatmeal,pumpkin,blueberries,1 walnut 1Tbsp.Pomegranite seeds.
Coffee with 1T.creamer(non dairy) will stop this once it's gone.
Lunch-Nuked Sweet Potato with spinach&Salsa. 2 cuties.
Dinner- Salad Baked Potato corn on the cob.
Snacks- grapes or an apple.
SilverDollar123

Postby Ejeff » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:02 am

I would like to join in on this. After a month long vacation, I want to drop about 5 pounds. I’m around 109 now. I really like reading everyone’s approach and how we all struggle with the same things. I only cook for myself and so I don’t really plan what I will eat on a day to day basis, I tend to batch cook and eat the same thing for a few days. My focus every meal is to make sure I get some veggies in and my usual lunch is a large rice and salad bowl. Today for lunch I will eat what’s left in my fridge which is spaghetti squash and canned tomatoes. I will add some yellow zucchini to that as well as lots of spices, I love basil. Dinner last night I made a large hash brown patty in my George foremen grill, turned out great and I ate just over half of that which was likely 3 potatoes. I dipped it in some some spicy homemade refried beans I had in the freezer and a couple teaspoons of cashew sour cream.

Then I ate a bowl of hot grain cereal for dessert which I stirred in some frozen blue berries and half a banana and a dash of plant milk and cinnamon. That should have been all I ate, but probably due to boredom I decided to slice up an apple and had that with about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.

When I began McDougalling 5 years ago I was at my highest weight which was 141 so that was my line in the sand. It’s important for me to have this line so I keep my weight in check. So now my new line in the sand is 110. Eating out is still my biggest challenge as I love to socialize like most people, but every time I eat out I am going to decide exactly what I will order including if I will have any beer or wine. I’ve only tested this out 3 times, had success the first 2 outings and the third was sort of a fail as I was sharing food with my daughter.

Today I am making a new recipe spinach artichoke dip and veggie burgers that have no beans, just veggies and oats.

I’m doing zero exercise for the next 2 weeks as I’m trying to heal a hip and a shoulder. So my goals right now:
1. keep eating a lot of veggies every day
2. preplan all eating out meals
3. Don’t snack after dinner or after 7pm
4. See 104 on the scale
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby moonlight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 am

Ejeff,
Can you share your veggie burger with no beans recipe? Or is this a store bought patty?

Thanks!
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Someone's bday at work. I had my oat clusters and tea this morning, and still had a couple sweet treats they brought :-|

D: not-chicken soup
B: oat clusters; tea; chocolate
S: a mini scone, an eclair bite (treats for someone's bday at work)
L: not-chicken soup; cuties

weight 249

No coffee today! a little bit of chocolate. Plan on hitting the gym after work.
Meditation TBD....during my second break maybe. I forgot to do it during lunch. Gotta get in that habit.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Today was my Day 4 and I nailed it. Breakfast was Jeff’s oatmeal, lunch was whole wheat pasta with cannelini beans, zucchini and kalamata olives, dinner ended up being tacos.

So, dinner was suppose to be delicious black bean enchiladas in a tomatillo sauce, which was purchased from the store in order to save time. A few things went wrong, such as a miscalculation if how much sauce I would need, which led me to rereading the back label and realizing it had freaking cream in the sauce (I was so busy looking for oil, dairy products did not even enter my mind as a possibility!). Fortunately I caught the mistake before it ended up in my dinner, so instead we just made tacos and it was sooooo delicious. The filling was black beans, onion, corn and sweet potato with shredded lettuce, salsa verde and a slice of avocado with a squeeze of lime. It tasted like this amazing dish I used to get at Whole Foods that was part of their Health Starts Here program about 10 years ago. They had it every January when people got back on their better eating habits and it was just so delicious. I’m glad I can now replicate it at home!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Morris » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:37 am

Yesterday, I ate 2 of my planned meals. I skipped the breakfast because by the time I finished exercising, it was almost lunch time.

For lunch I ate:
rice and beans
corn
apple crisp

minestrone soup
company muffin

It was my turn for Share a Meal and I ended up eating my last meal there:
dinner roll
coleslaw
potato chips
brownie
fruit salad - (canned fruit with Cool Whip)

I attempted to eat the minestrone soup before I left for Share A Meal so I wouldn't be tempted by the meal. I guess this is where I need to work of not eating because I don't want to insult the host. The groups always act so slighted if I don't eat what they bring.
FYI(Share a Meal is a non-profit where different groups volunteer to serve the community a meal, I coordinate the kitchen once a month).

Sometime during the day, I did eat one of my Chocolate Zucchini Beanie Brownie (definitely not the same taste as the brownie from Share a Meal)

As a side not, by committing to posting here as a means to make myself accountable, I kept my in-between snacking in check.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:56 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Someone's bday at work. I had my oat clusters and tea this morning, and still had a couple sweet treats they brought :-|

D: not-chicken soup
B: oat clusters; tea; chocolate
S: a mini scone, an eclair bite (treats for someone's bday at work)
L: not-chicken soup; cuties

weight 249

No coffee today! a little bit of chocolate. Plan on hitting the gym after work.
Meditation TBD....during my second break maybe. I forgot to do it during lunch. Gotta get in that habit.

so...I caved the first time treats were around after getting on board with this accountability thread. :\ There were several people on the floor who didn't have any of it, but I had some. *sigh*

Yesterday's exercise: 20 minutes of yoga

D: not chicken soup; avocado toast
B: oat clusters; herbal tea
S: Chocolate 2 squares
L: lentil stew over potatoes (actual lunch vegan Pho w. tofu and vegetables)

Visualization 10 minutes so far. I'll get some alone time during my lunch hour for more of the same. Imagining myself thin FTW.

Going to find a different breakfast. These oat clusters are dry. Maybe I'll stay away from the chocolate today.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:04 am

I seem to be messing up each day. I have a thought on why it is and will actually put that down as a discussion in a new comment.

Weight this morning was up to 149 on the dot.

Yesterday I ate the following:
Breakfast - oats, ground flax, pear,
Lunch - giant salad with garbanzo beans and cooked sorghum
Snack - munched a handful of "goldfish" and nuts (my grandson was here and then I got hungry
Dinner - took take out to the kids, I ate spanish rice (will have oil in it), black beans (fine) but then I started in on the chips.
Exercise - tons!!! 45 min spin class, 1 hour functional fitness class, 25 min leg weight, practiced hula hoop
AnnetteW

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:15 am

Deleted my post - I need to do some contemplation
AnnetteW

Postby Ejeff » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 am

Scale went up for me also, 110 on the dot. Yesterday I ate:

Lunch - spaghetti squash with canned tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and black olives
Dinner - artichoke spinach dip with blue corn tortillas (Chips not compliant, need to get them out of the house). Then 2 veggie burgers made with lots of veggies and oats and sunflower seeds. Probably should have had just one.
After dinner - big fail here, 2 squares of pumpkin bar topped with banana nice cream. THEN 2 pieces raisin toast with almond butter and home made cherry chia jam. Certainly didn’t need the toast ugh

This will sound really stupid, but sometimes I feel like I over eat because I’m just trying to use up the stash of food in the freezer or fridge. That’s a really dumb excuse or way of thinking. I’ve always overstocked food so need to do some thinking about that. I watched a video this week talking about freezing things in the proper sized container so when you go to use it you have just the right amount. I need to get better at that when batch cooking.

Until now I have never limited nuts, seeds or avacado, but maybe I will need to do that. I rarely eat just plain nuts or seeds by the handful, but use them to make sauces etc.

Annette, be very careful to not over eat because you have increased the exercise. I have read and heard that lots of people eat more as soon as they hit the gym harder, but it takes a lot of exercise to burn off calories.

As for what causes slip ups and derailing, I think it mostly comes down to environment. If I don’t bring the foods I shouldn’t eat into the house it is so much easier. If it’s here, I will eventually eat it even if it is something with oil which I try to avoid.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Annette, my mom jokes that she buys Goldfish for the grandkids but eats most of them before they even show up, haha. Have you seen Dr. Lisle’s lecture on The Perfect Personality? I found it really enlightening on why some people seem to commit to this way of eating effortlessly while I stumble time and again. Between that and the pleasure trap, well, it’s surprising anyone can do this!

I’ve had another good day. I ate:
Jeff’s oatmeal
Salad with tahini dressing
Apple
My new favorite tacos

Tomorrow I will have oatmeal for breakfast, maybe another salad for lunch, and our local Veg Giving vegan pitch in for dinner. Dinner could be tough, I was hoping to make Thug Kitchen’s potato gratin but I am not sure I’ll have time. Definitely making a pumpkin bundt cake with maple icing (which I won’t eat because I don’t like pumpkin). A few other WFPB folks will be there, so there should be some options that are reasonable. Fingers crossed!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Annette, my mom jokes that she buys Goldfish for the grandkids but eats most of them before they even show up, haha. Have you seen Dr. Lisle’s lecture on The Perfect Personality? I found it really enlightening on why some people seem to commit to this way of eating effortlessly while I stumble time and again. Between that and the pleasure trap, well, it’s surprising anyone can do this!

I don't even like those goldfish, and I didn't buy them. I blame that on my husband who buys the junky snacks for the grandkids. One especially doesn't seem to like any fruits and veggies, but he did eat a bunch of garbanzo beans out of the can the other day. That was just a mistake on my part, I didn't have many, but I should have had none.

I do think I might have watched that lecture, but I'll look for it again. For the most part much of this diet is quite effortless, but not MWL, that is far from effortless. I think I might be better off just focusing on SS for now.

Ejeff wrote:Annette, be very careful to not over eat because you have increased the exercise. I have read and heard that lots of people eat more as soon as they hit the gym harder, but it takes a lot of exercise to burn off calories.

As for what causes slip ups and derailing, I think it mostly comes down to environment. If I don’t bring the foods I shouldn’t eat into the house it is so much easier. If it’s here, I will eventually eat it even if it is something with oil which I try to avoid.

That's so hard, isn't it, when the body is saying "feed me, you worked me so hard and I'm starving." My body does that, no doubt about that...lol. I will definitely keep working on paying attention.

My slip ups come totally out of the blue. I'm not even thinking of food then BOOM, it's in my head and I'm going to feed said "head." And also after lunch I never feel satisfied. Then I try not to eat more, and then later do.
AnnetteW

Postby Morris » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:40 am

I ate what I planned yesterday, but I had a huge appetite and ended up eating a lot of unplanned eating. But, my success is that at least I did not do any unplanned snacking.

what I ate:
rice and beans
minestrone soup
chocolate zucchini beanie brownie

unplanned:
a bag of Asian Style seasoned stirfry vegetables
cheerio with strawberries
cashew coconut milk

And the bad, really bad: Spam -- I don't know what possessed me to open that can -- that stuff is n.a.s.t.y.

My exercise:
I did a treadmill run following Robert Ullery's couch to 5k podcast week 5 day 1, about 30 minutes. I attempted to do Jillian Micheal's Banish Fat video but that was a bit too much for me after the run -- I made it through the warm-up and the first circuit then decided this video should be done on a no-run day. But, on my way to town, I took a detour and stop at the State Park and went for a short walk.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:10 am

Morris wrote:And the bad, really bad: Spam -- I don't know what possessed me to open that can -- that stuff is n.a.s.t.y.

Um yuck! I was happily reading your post and thinking how well you did then I couldn't help but laugh laugh laugh.

I have a little funny Spam story. Personally I had never eaten it, and my late husband and I were somewhere in Europe when he found it in a store and got so excited (we were camping) so he bought it to eat that night. Spam in Europe when you can eat all those other yummy things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today's check-in:

I actually weighed today, I usually skip the weekends, but I decided I have to be 100% accountable.

Weight 148.2 (at least it's slowly headed back down but I'm sad to say I am most likely not seeing 146 this month, and I'll be so frustrated if I show a gain for the month, which is looking quite likely)

Meal plan for yesterday:
Breakfast - oats, pear, ground flax, blended garbanzos in water to add to my oats (I liked it!)
Lunch - bokchoy, shitaki mushrooms, celery, onion, soysauce and hoisin sauce, 1 cup cooked sorghum, 2 cups of grapes
Snack - none, though I munched a couple beans as I was cooking them
Dinner - thai green curry (no oil but it was coconut milk) and 1 cup brown rice

Exercise - yoga class, 25 min upper body weights, 25 min Arc Trainer
AnnetteW

Postby moonlight » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:21 am

I love reading this thread!! It makes me feel so not alone in the struggles of finding the right path to our goals. However, I can't keep up! I'm taking a hiatus from posting. I wish you all great success. :D :D
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals