Shmookitty's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Shmookitty's Journal

Postby Plumerias » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:18 am

Shmookitty wrote:My husband and I budget for each of us to spend $60 a month on whatever we want. It usually involves Amazon. He usually gets Kindle books and I have been ordering grains and other McDougally treats. :-D

He is making noise about wanting a 7 in 1 Instant Pot. I've heard that most of the vegan recipes for the IP are soups, and I don't really eat soups, so I am doing some research into what else I can make in there. I buy canned or boxed low-sodium beans, I don't cook from dried, and I am totally fine batch cooking grains on the stovetop. I wouldn't make my own yogurt and I don't have a need for a slow cooker. He'll have to do more convincing to make me want to shell out the money for one. Besides, we have a tiny kitchen in a rented townhouse - where would we put it?!

Good morning from toasty central Florida!

One comment for Annette before I forget...... look in the international foods aisle of the grocery store for farro. The one I find most often is Nature's Earthly Choice, in a green package. Bob's Red Mill also carries it, but I find their prices to be a bit higher on some things. It seems that all I've ever purchased has been imported from Italy, perhaps it's not grown here. I've even gotten it at Walmart sometimes.

Okay, the Instant Pot. I'm not familiar with the 7 in 1 your husband wants, I don't even know if that's what ours is. It's my husband's toy, which I don't at all mind! :lol:

For us, as we live in a small space, an RV, where our kitchen, living and dining rooms are all one, heat and moisture generated by cooking matters a great deal. Want potatoes for potato salad when it's hot, excellent in the IP. Ditto farro for a summer salad. Other grains can be batch cooked in it as well, and although I've seen quinoa cooked in it, that makes absolutely no sense to me, as it's positively easy and quick on the stove. He also cooks beans from scratch in it when he's making a large batch of chili (on the stove). A bag of dried beans, which makes about four can's worth, costs about what a single can does, and I just freeze whatever is left. He loves doing chickpeas for hummus in the IP, as that's a long cooking one on the stove. We have a fondness for borlotti beans, aka cranberry or Romano (that's the Goya label), which are only very rarely found in cans here. He also loves batch cooking lentils for dals, that's his newest experiment. I make most soups on the stove, call me old fashioned, but after experiencing minestrone mix in a farmers market in Rome, he loves to make minestrone in the IP, although he does boil the pasta separately. He wants to learn to make mujadara (multiple spellings) and red beans and rice in it. He's played with a recipe for an Indian rice, lentils and vegetable dish called kitchari (multiple spellings, multiple recipes), basing that on something he found online then tinkered with. Just a few ideas to answer your questions.

An added benefit is that you can set it to do whatever, and it doesn't need to be minded, doesn't need to be stirred, freeing you to do other things while it does its thing.

None of our small appliances are stored in the kitchen, they're in a cupboard in the bedroom. Gotta think outside of the box when you live in a small space!

There may very well be sales during the holiday shopping season that could make it work with your budget. I even saw it for sale one time at the grocery store down here, not a place I would have expected to sell that!

If you live near a restaurant supply store that sells to the public, go there and look for a (cross-cut) fine mesh strainer. We got ours at one a long time ago. It holds a cup of dried whatever for rinsing, and is excellent for the small stuff like quinoa. DH bought us a lightweight plastic one online several years ago for our international travels, which is very nice as rental kitchens are all too often very poorly provisioned with respect to cookware.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions and gives you some things to discuss with your husband. By the way, there are countless discussions about the IP in the food and recipes section for more ideas and comments.
Plumerias

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Oh wow, thank you for your reply! That is a lot of different items I hadn't considered. You're right about dried beans being so much less expensive. The IP would pay for itself in a couple months just from the money we would save on my canned beans!

I've seen IP posts on Facebook from several WFPB people, but I really don't know much about them. I will talk to Chris about your post - he may just be able to convince me to look for holiday deals for the one he wants. I think he said it was $68 on Amazon (it was $74 at Target on Wednesday). I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! :-D

I had a ball at Goodwill yesterday. Took two big bags of size 2X clothing to donate and came home with three bigger bags for only $120. Pants and tops were only $3.99 and the blue tagged ones were half off that! I got a LOT, and it would have cost at least $800 in a regular store. I am now set for clothing for sizes 16 and 14 (I just got into an 18 now). I may have to supplement a couple of tops at Kohl's, but I would definitely go back to Goodwill first to check current selection. I was so impressed at all the name brands there in excellent condition and for so little money! I donate really nice stuff, so I guess why shouldn't other people? The store I was at only felt like a thrift shop because it was a big open warehouse, but the racks could have been at Kohl's with the quality of the items.

I saw one really cute pair of size 12 pants...and put them back on the rack because they just looked SO SMALL! I couldn't imagine ever getting into them. I should have just bought them - what's the worst that happens? I pay $3.99 and never wear them even at my long-term goal weight, and then donate them again? I talked to my sister and she told me to go back and get them because she throws away more than that in uneaten produce every week (GASP!).

So this morning I went out (in the 26 degree cold!) and tried to find them again. No luck. They were in the wrong section, so maybe someone had "hidden" them there and then came back for them. So I looked in the size large racks instead of the XL and found another cute pair of 12s. I bought some size large tops to make outfits. Only $25 and I got a pair of Liz Claiborne pants, four tops, and a really pretty purple sweater. I have another Goodwill about ten miles away, it will be tempting to go there when I do get into my 16s and check their selection! I love Goodwill!

It is my goal to wear a size 12 when I am at 150 pounds, but I don't know what size I will be. I haven't been an 18 since 2003, and I haven't been a 16 since 1994! I honestly have no idea where I will end up. But I know I will be in 16s and 14s, since I have 68 more pounds to lose, so I bought those two sizes yesterday. I don't know how they keep the business open with prices like that! Now I will not feel guilty for donating something I've only owned for about three months. My size has gone from a 3X/28 to a XL/18 since April 2019. I was just in a 20 when I started McDougalling on October 5, and I am already out of that and into an 18! THANK YOU Dr. McDougall!

My sister also told me that she's in a size 10 now and shrinking, so she is going to clean out her closet and send all the 12s and 14s down with my mother the next time she comes to visit for a day. Kristen has some really nice clothes - she shops consignment stores and good stores - so I am looking forward to what she is sending! :-D

Today's nutrition -
B - 2 packets instant oatmeal with cinnamon
L - Mixed grain bowl - Farro/tofu/greens/corn/sundried tomatoes/steamed butternut squash/onions/peppers
S - a couple handfuls baby kale mix with 1 tbsp Fig Balsamic oil-free vinaigrette (Whole Foods brand)
D - Mixed grain bowl - Farro/chickpeas/greens/sundried tomatoes/corn/steamed butternut squash/onions/peppers

For those curious about farro, I don't see a big difference between that and barley. It looks and tastes the same to me. I would buy farro again, but I wouldn't go out of my way since I always go for barley first.
Last edited by Shmookitty on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby Plumerias » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Shmookitty wrote:Oh wow, thank you for your reply! That is a lot of different items I hadn't considered. You're right about dried beans being so much less expensive. The IP would pay for itself in a couple months just from the money we would save on my canned beans!

I've seen IP posts on Facebook from several WFPB people, but I really don't know much about them. I will talk to Chris about your post - he may just be able to convince me to look for holiday deals for the one he wants. I think he said it was $68 on Amazon (it was $74 at Target on Wednesday). I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! :-D

You're very welcome! Do look in the Food and Recipes section here, as there is a great deal there! Here's a very popular blog that many here have followed for some time, myself included. This is the Instant Pot section: https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/pressure-cooker You could also look at Brand New Vegan, a blog by a man who once participated here. I can't tell if he has an IP section or not. I don't do Facebook, so I can't speak to that.
Plumerias

Postby AnnetteW » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 am

It is my goal to wear a size 12 when I am at 150 pounds, but I don't know what size I will be.

That sounds about right for my body type. I'm just over 5'4", always was 5'5", but the doctor now says otherwise...hmpfff.

That's in pants, tops or dresses of course can be all over the place in sizes. I was trying clothes on in the designer section in Nordstrom (to check styles I like) and little knit jackets and such were all a size S. I'm sorry, but I'm not in a size small. What about the people who actually need a small, like I will later...lol.

My stomach sometimes keeps my sizes larger. I have slim hips with a larger belly. I can't wait till that decides to leave the premises.

I sew most my clothes but occasionally buy at thrift shops too. I never feel bad about buying something that doesn't currently fit for the same reason you said, but I try not to go too small.

BTW, I used to buy lovely cashmere sweater and unravel them for the wool (I'm a knitter) and then I would even dye it. I have some lovely projects made from recycled yarns.
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:22 am

I was thinking the same thing regarding sizes! If I am fitting in an XL at 217 pounds, how big must a small be now? What about the people (like my mom) who need a size small? She weighs around 118 at 5'2" and buys size XS a lot. I have started to see a lot of size zero too. Vanity sizing.

Alternatively, when you buy designer clothing, the plus sizes often run small. I was still wearing size 3X Michael Kors tops when I was a 2X in my Kohl's clothes. If you buy plus sizes at a place like Ross or TJ Maxx, they also run very small. I have one pair of size 2X cotton knit pants from Talbots that I just got into. My other cotton pants are a regular XL.

We'll see if I get to a 12. Like I said, it looks SO SMALL!! If I hold it up to my waist, I have a LOT of progress to make before I could get into those!

I steamed some sweet potatoes to try for my afternoon snacks. I hadn't had them since I was a kid, so I didn't even remember if I liked them or not. It was a successful experiment. I loved them! Nothing on them, and cold out of the fridge. So good! I feel like a real McDougaller now that I am eating more than one kind of potato! lol!

Today's nutrition -
B - 1/3 cup oats in Silk vanilla yogurt
L - Whole grain bowl - Farro/chickpeas/greens/onions/peppers/sundried tomatoes/corn/hemp seed
S - steamed sweet potatoes
D - tried my new chickpea pasta with oil-free Hunt's tomato sauce. It was okay, but not much different tasting than whole wheat pasta which is cheaper for more pasta. I will finish the box of chickpea pasta but won't buy it again. Had to try!
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 pm

I can't believe how good sweet potatoes are, and I never even knew it! I just finished lunch a few minutes ago (and I'm full), but I can hardly wait for my afternoon snack so I can have some more sweet potatoes! :-D

I am down to 216.7, so 217. Now a full ten pounds down since starting McDougall on October 5. Not bad! I am even losing weight at a faster pace since I stopped tracking my food on a calorie counter website about ten days ago! I still go there for the community, but I don't miss entering all my food! I was scared, but it has worked out so well.

Today's nutrition -
B - 2 packets instant oatmeal with cinnamon and 1 tsp dried currants
L - Grain bowl - barley/lentils/corn/tofu/greens/onions/peppers/sundried tomatoes
S - sweet potatoes!
D - Subway veggie delite (no cheese) on wheat bread
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Been taking advantage today of all the online retailers trying to grab their share of the holiday money already. Everyone is offering free shipping and deep discounts. I got six pairs of nice work pants for $87, six nice tops and sweaters for $88 (both from Belk), several items from Kohl's for $67, and I've finished off my underwear/casual/activewear wardrobe with Hanes for $128. I have birthday money from more than one person so I can afford it all. I originally intended to go the other local Goodwill location this week to check out their selection but I found such good deals, I am not going to do that now.

I bought the next two sizes down since I know I'll get into them. Not sure if I can make it three, but I did buy one pair of size 12 pants for $11. I am prepared for more McDougall success! So excited about my closet now! :-D

Today's nutrition -
B - Pumpkin pie Larabar
L - Spicy White Bean Pita from the Quick and Easy McDougall cookbook (made with black beans instead since that's what I had)
S - Sweet potatoes
D - the other pita from the lunch recipe (I halved it since it was only me eating, and I don't want to eat bread four meals in a row)
Shmookitty

Postby AnnetteW » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:43 am

It's always fun to get goodies in the mail too. You'll have all sorts of new items to play with.

Though to be honest, I have never ordered clothes of any sort, online. I honestly don't know how anyone can, and get something to fit. I've ordered shoes, and the exact ones I've already had.

I spent time on Saturday going through my closet. Most everything that is too large is out of here. Well, it's in two laundry baskets to take to my sewing group luncheon on Wednesday when we will do a "fitting" session. Others can try them on and take what they'd like. It's very difficult to get rid of my custom couture hand sewn items, made to perfectly fit my body. Trust me, not easy at all. And no, I refuse to do alterations, okay, only rarely will I resize something. Not when there is so much fabric to be sewn, half of which I own already.

But now I have a closet that fits, and for the first time, I have no smaller clothes to shrink in to. I got rid of those years ago when I resigned myself to the fact that I would be fat forever. I also said I'd stop tossing the too big clothes as I always grew back into those. But now I feel more confident that I won't fall off this diet plan. I might not be perfect in it, but I enjoy it and it feels comfortable to me.
AnnetteW

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:50 pm

I have never had a problem ordering online, but in this case, even if the sizes are off a bit, I will still fit into them eventually, since I am losing weight so consistently. I did just order a pair of Easy Spirit shoes from Zappos. They were a 10W and I could have probably fit into a regular 10. I'm not going to worry about it, they still fit okay.

I'm so happy for you and your clean closet! It feels SO good every time I weed out a large size! :-D

I did reorganize some in my closet today, moving my size 14s to be folded on a closet shelf instead of hanging, to make room for some of the size 16 clothes I ordered yesterday (I'm in an 18 and anticipating smaller sizes). Imagine my surprise when I checked the size on my J. Jill pants I just got at Goodwill...there was a price tag hanging on them that said $79! I paid $3.99! I knew J. Jill was expensive, but didn't realize just how much! I'm glad I pulled them out of the closet too. I had them sorted with the 14s, but a J. Jill XL is equivalent to a 16/18. Those pants fit me now, but they will be too big before long. I'd better start wearing them! I will feel so good when I can donate them back to Goodwill and someone else can get a bargain!

Today's nutrition -
B - 1/3 cup old fashioned oats in Silk vanilla yogurt
L - Grain bowl - barley-lentil mix/tofu/greens/sundried tomatoes/corn/onion/peppers
S - Sweet potatoes
D - Grain bowl - barley-lentil mix/chickpeas/greens/sundried tomatoes/corn/onion/peppers/salsa
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Have a second job interview tomorrow for an accounting assistant position at an independent/assisted living/memory care facility. I passed the approval level from my November 7 interview with the other accounting assistant. Now I am meeting with the accounting manager and controller. I am in the process of returning to work after being on disability for almost five years.

I really hope this goes well and I can start the trial employment phase. I will be committing to a permanent job, but my disability company considers it "trial employment" until my doctor clears me to stay there permanently. The disability carrier considers it tentative at first, just in case it doesn't work out, so I won't lose my eligibility until after I've proven I can work. That makes me feel secure, but I think I will be okay. I am ready to get back out there! And also make a lot more money than I get on disability. My husband got an excellent raise this year, but I want to return to my previous earning levels...and I also want to get off Obamacare and onto an employer sponsored employee/spouse plan. It will be cheaper per month with a much lower deductible.

Today's nutrition -
B - 2 packets instant oatmeal with cinnamon
L - tofu wrap with black bean/corn salsa, romaine, tomatoes/with mixed fruit
S - 1 banana
D - Sweet potatoes and asparagus
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Down another three pounds - have lost 105 now (not all on McDougall). 62 to go!

The job interview couldn't have gone better. I think I have a very good chance at getting it, and I would really fit in well there. It's not at a huge company, and I like that. The jobs I've hated the most have been with large corporations or universities. This place is family oriented. I really hope I get this job!

The mail order parcels have already started to arrive! I won't need to buy clothes again for a LONG time! I had already made my big Goodwill trip last week, as well as one small Kohl's pickup order, plus a small order from my sister for my birthday...and then I spent another $69 at Kohl's today. I couldn't help it, everything was on clearance plus I had $10 Kohl's cash and a 25% off coupon. I spent these amounts on new tops in size large (my goal size) - $1.39...$3.60...$6.08...$2.96...six camisoles for $5.39 each...and a black cardigan for $20.21.

I just was not going to walk away from all that, even though I won't be able to wear it for a while. It is part of the "keeper wardrobe" I am slowly assembling for my goal size. I have some transitional sized items I still need to fit into along the way, but are not in my final size. I will be between a 12-14 at my long-term goal weight, so I am buying size large and size 14 (have two 12s for incentive, but I don't know if I can make it that far down, it will be close).

The camis were so cheap, I ordered six for my mom for Christmas with another $10 Kohl's bonus I got for choosing paperless statements, and the 25% coupon. She said she was going to shop for some in the new year, now she doesn't have to, and she's so hard to shop for, I was psyched to be able to afford her Christmas gift easily!

I am probably going to make my first attempt at quinoa tomorrow. I have a reusable mesh produce bag for rinsing and then I found some good instructions on the Cookie and Kate site. I have heard it's really easy to have quinoa get mushy. I don't know what to compare it to, but I don't want it mushy! I am not even sure I like it, so I want it to be right the first time so I can make a good judgment. Wish me luck!

Today's nutrition -
B - 1/4 cup old fashioned oats in Silk vanilla yogurt
L - Grain bowl - barley-lentil mix/onion/peppers/chickpeas/corn/asparagus/sundried tomatoes/1 tbsp pecans
S - Banana
D - Grain bowl - buckwheat/onion/peppers/chickpeas/corn/sundried tomatoes/asparagus
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 am

Well, I don't like quinoa. I made a cup of it this morning...I pre-rinsed it in the reusable mesh produce bag as recommended, but it was MESSY!  Little quinoa kernels went everywhere when I emptied the bag even though I was trying to be careful.  And there were many kernels left stuck to the bag, so I wasn't exactly sure how I would get them all out so I could dry and reuse the bag.

I cooked it as directed, and then let it "rest" covered for 15 minutes for the rest of the water to absorb. Let it cool, tried it, and YUCK.

So I dumped it and am now making a batch of brown rice.  

Oh well!  Had to try it!  Wasn't expensive unless you count the $9.89 I spent on produce bags.  Not a big deal. I have already started using the other produce bags on my grocery runs. Will stick to the several other grains I know I like.

Today's nutrition plan -
B - Snickerdoodle Larabar
L - Grain bowl - buckwheat/corn/chickpeas/onions/peppers/greens/asparagus/sundried tomatoes/1 tbsp pepitas
S - Sweet potatoes
D - Peanut butter sandwich on 9 grain bread
Last edited by Shmookitty on Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shmookitty

Postby moonlight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:06 am

Shmookitty wrote:Down another three pounds - have lost 105 now (not all on McDougall). 62 to go!

The job interview couldn't have gone better. I think I have a very good chance at getting it, and I would really fit in well there. It's not at a huge company, and I like that. The jobs I've hated the most have been with large corporations or universities. This place is family oriented. I really hope I get this job!s

Congratulations on the weight loss!! I bet you’re going to have so much fun wearing all your new clothes as the weight continues to fall away.
Good luck on the job. Sounds like a great place to get back into working with others. :)
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks moonlight! I definitely had fun shopping for all that stuff! I hadn't enjoyed shopping for many years, being stuck firmly in the plus section and never being able to hide my big body. Size large and XL from the misses department are a lot better! :-D

serene, I'm glad it's not just me! We have a Chopt salad restaurant here in town that sells quinoa as one of its ingredients. I thought it looked interesting. Not for me! And I made 2 cups of brown rice, which turned into a LOT of servings. I will be eating brown rice for quite a while! :shock:

My meal prep is done for the next three days at least, the rice will last a bit longer. I water-sauteed onions and peppers, made brown rice, opened more beans, tore up greens, and steamed more potatoes for snacks. I polished off the last of my sweet potatoes a few minutes ago, now I have red potatoes I'll eat with black bean and corn salsa. YUM! I love the way I eat now! :cool:
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Well, I go in next Tuesday for a third interview with the accounting department head at the assisted living place. They are certainly making me jump through hoops! I am glad I'm not taking off from work to go to all these interviews. That would be hard to hide. I am coming off long-term disability so can handle all the trips.

I must be a finalist by now. I really hope I get this job. My state-paid disability is up for review after December 30, 2020, so I have time to find a job before then, but I really like this working environment and the people I've met there so far. I think it would be an excellent fit. I normally don't get my hopes up so I don't get disappointed, but I admit I am past that point now and really hoping it comes through for me.

Also, the office has bottled water as a perk for employees, which is nice. Haven't had that before unless it was paid for by an employee contribution each month if you wanted to participate. Sometimes the little things make a difference. There is also an employee wellness program I am interested in - I plan to ask for more information about that when I have the third interview.

One thing to mention here again on my journal - I am so happy that I no longer need to log my food into the online nutrition tracker! I have been losing 2-4 pounds a week since starting McDougall, and have left the daily tracker behind! I am actually adding about 100 calories to what I was eating (usually through having potatoes at snack time instead of veggies/greens) and I'm still losing weight. I am not sure how safe it is to lose a full four pounds a week, so I am trying to slow it down a tiny bit.

I'm like everybody - I want the weight gone yesterday - but I don't want to not be able to stop the weight loss when I'm ready. I am planning to start maintenance when I get to 155 so I don't drop under 150 if I still lose a little while adjusting to maintenance. I will add about 150-200 calories a day at first since my daily needs will only go up by 200-300 calories to maintain instead of lose. Hopefully it's a smooth process - I've never stuck with anything long enough to do maintenance. I know I can handle it with the lifestyle change of McDougall, I just want to make sure I stay at what I think is a healthy weight. My BMI will still be 25 at 152-158 pounds but I am a former bulimic and don't want to be any smaller than that. Don't want old habits to return.

Today's nutrition -
B - 1/4 cup oats in Silk vanilla yogurt
L - Grain bowl - Buckwheat/corn/onion/peppers/greens/sundried tomatoes/asparagus/chickpeas
S - Steamed red potatoes with black bean and corn salsa
D - Grain bowl - Brown rice/corn/kidney beans/chickpeas/greens/onion/peppers/sundried tomatoes/yellow squash (I had a tiny bit of chickpeas left and added some kidney beans to make 1/3 cup total portion)
Shmookitty

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals